1st 50hr service on a 40yr old tractor (L225DT)

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
Took the plung on an L225DT with FEL and backhoe w/ about 50 total hours.

Story is seller's father-in-law bought it new, installed a spetic tank and parked it.

Little rust here and there (leaky roof) and missing a few lynch/hitch pins.

I'm going on the assumption it's never been serviced.

Guessing 15 gal of UTD, 2 gal of 15-40, plus filters should be enough to change out the fluids.

Planning on installing a ROPS.

Any words of warning on getting an old tractor preped to work?

Thanks,
Mac

Attachments

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have heard of garage finds.....but that is ....super nice !!!!

I wonder if you could turn it by hand first? those pistons and rings and cylinders ought to be rather..........rough!

Get every ounce of fuel out too, no telling what could be in there.

IF rubber hoses, check those too - that old - might be steel lines.

All the gaskets ought to be brittle too.

Aint but one way to find out !:D:)

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
I have heard of garage finds.....but that is ....super nice !!!!

I wonder if you could turn it by hand first? those pistons and rings and cylinders ought to be rather..........rough!

Get every ounce of fuel out too, no telling what could be in there.

IF rubber hoses, check those too - that old - might be steel lines.

All the gaskets ought to be brittle too.

Aint but one way to find out !:D:)
All great advise, but it's running now. Driven onto the trailer and lifted itself off the tires with the bucket and hoe.

Dumping the remaining fuel is a very good call.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That is a very good find :D especially with it running. Good luck with it, and welcome to the Orange :cool:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Took the plung on an L225DT with FEL and backhoe w/ about 50 total hours.

Story is seller's father-in-law bought it new, installed a spetic tank and parked it.

Little rust here and there (leaky roof) and missing a few lynch/hitch pins.

I'm going on the assumption it's never been serviced.

Guessing 15 gal of UTD, 2 gal of 15-40, plus filters should be enough to change out the fluids.

Planning on installing a ROPS.

Any words of warning on getting an old tractor preped to work?

Thanks,
Mac
You can get the ROPS new and cheap strait from Kubota as it's a program tractor, go to kubota.com and click on the right under more and then safety, fill out the form and they will get back to you.;)

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
there are quite a few grease fittings that you will need to locate and grease well before too much time goes by.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Boy, that looks pretty nice, but I think you may have been duped. Looks like a repaint at minimum based on the darker color and the painted grille. Still a very nice tractor for the age, a whole lot nicer than mine.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man that's like finding a split window vett sitting out in some farmers barn,, well maybe not like finding a split window but you know what I mean :D

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
Boy, that looks pretty nice, but I think you may have been duped. Looks like a repaint at minimum based on the darker color and the painted grille. Still a very nice tractor for the age, a whole lot nicer than mine.
Thanks Karl,

Pins/bushings were tight and dry (in need of grease) and tires old but showed little use... I'll do some more digging. Maybe it is a referb. So the grill around the headlights should be a contrasting color?

I'm no collector, so as long as I get some use of it I'm happy.

Mac

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I have a L185 that has been re-painted so I have no idea what it looked like originally but the small louvered "grill" was in bad shape so I ordered one (yes there was one in stock at Messick's - go figure!). That grill came painted the standard orange color so I imagine they were orange from the factory - it is in a bag and has Kubota labels on it so I have to assume it is factory.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
i have an original L225DT my dad bought new in 1976. The little grill around the headlights is chrome on mine and the lower, main grill is Kubota orange. That bucket on yours is aftermarket and it looks like the kind you find on refurb'd Zennoh L2000's. I'd be willing to bet the clock as been reset on the hour meter when it was "refreshed". Also, the L225DT came with smaller diameter rear rims with big fat tires. The attached pic if my Kubota. Notice the rear tire and 1200 loader that was OEM.

Attachments

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
i have an original L225DT my dad bought new in 1976. The little grill around the headlights is chrome on mine and the lower, main grill is Kubota orange. That bucket on yours is aftermarket and it looks like the kind you find on refurb'd Zennoh L2000's. I'd be willing to bet the clock as been reset on the hour meter when it was "refreshed". Also, the L225DT came with smaller diameter rear rims with big fat tires. The attached pic if my Kubota. Notice the rear tire and 1200 loader that was OEM.
Thanks for the pics. I think this one has a 3-speed pto if that helps identifying anything.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
yes that is definitely a gray market (Zennoh) tractor. Mine has a 2spd PTO. The gray market tractors had 3 and sometimes 4 speeds that weren't offered by the factory in the US. Still a great tractor and as long as it was cared for you'll love. Other than my dad exploding the front diff overworking it, we've had zero issues with ours.

macattackga

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 18, 2015
Fairfax
yes that is definitely a gray market (Zennoh) tractor. Mine has a 2spd PTO. The gray market tractors had 3 and sometimes 4 speeds that weren't offered by the factory in the US. Still a great tractor and as long as it was cared for you'll love. Other than my dad exploding the front diff overworking it, we've had zero issues with ours.
Pick-up it up this weekend.
I sent Dad and his buddy to get it after finding it on CL 600mi from me.

Definitely a gray market (Zennoh) with a 4 spd PTO, cartage type oil filter, decompression knob... and recent L225 decals

Runs well. no smoke, starts easily.

Doing fluids/filter now.

Thanks!
11146588_10206667497313939_3367611947550354897_o.jpg