10kW PTO generator

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Is the cover just for storage? If not maybe some eyebolts(mounted sideways on a dowel) so the cover can slide up about a foot allowing ventilation. Also would provide support so the can stays in place for storage. If you really want to get crazy get a fan and a PTO extender and mount the fan on the extender so when the generator is running the fan is blowing air over the generator.
Cover primary use is for weather proofing for outside running the generator. Indoor storage cover a plus to keep it clean.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Cover primary use is for weather proofing for outside running the generator. Indoor storage cover a plus to keep it clean.
I would take it completely off when running it regardless of the weather. Those generators are fairly weather proof and create a lot of heat when running. Worst thing you can do is to make it run hotter by not giving it enough air around it.

Reactions: 1 user

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
I would take it completely off when running it regardless of the weather. Those generators are fairly weather proof and create a lot of heat when running. Worst thing you can do is to make it run hotter by not giving it enough air around it.
You maybe right. It can’t be sealed and needs to be able to transfer heat. I need and look forward to valuable input.

There are few things engineering controls and changes can’t improve upon.

Generators operating in inclement weather are hazardous. Trying to reduce that hazard. Might require changes you suggested or more cover changes and modifications. I'm willing to test and find out. Generator size and load vary. What works for me might not work for you. My Miller welder/ generator is enclosed as is many portable gensets.

Have plenty of room to mount a exhaust fan if need be.

Most generators say don’t operate in rain. Winco says “use extreme care”, which backs up your suggestion.
IMG_2845.jpeg

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Would be ideal if you could park the whole affair under an open sided lean too. I’m fortunate to be able to do that with my current set up. Should be able to do the same if I ever step up to a PTO powered genny.

I see this in the capable hands of an Engineer, so I’m sure whatever you do, it will be good.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I concur with the "trapped heat" becoming an issue.

What about installing "louvers" on all the sides?

This would allow for air flow, yet keep the rain/snow off.

Edit: Also for just a few bucks you could easily install an "El Cheapo" air temp sensor that monitors the "inside air temp".

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Many of us “ Living the dream” with tractors and property, have to rely on generators.

Bought some meters to better monitor the pto generator’s power. With a few extra to make this box for about $20. Can plug into any receptacle, generator or house. Always nice to monitor generator power especially when loading is changing.

Admiring my work by the TV. Wife says it’s too bright to stay unless we are on emergency power. Already have voltage meter in Kitchen.

Hertz is right on and voltage is 0.3-0.4 high compared to my Fluke.

Numbers are sharper than in photos.
IMG_2850.jpeg
IMG_2851.jpeg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Many of us “ Living the dream” with tractors and property, have to rely on generators.

Bought some meters to better monitor the pto generator’s power. With a few extra to make this box for about $20. Can plug into any receptacle, generator or house. Always nice to monitor generator power especially when loading is changing.

Admiring my work by the TV. Wife says it’s too bright to stay unless we are on emergency power. Already have voltage meter in Kitchen.

Hertz is right on and voltage is 0.3-0.4 high compared to my Fluke.

Numbers are sharper than in photos. View attachment 112632 View attachment 112633
That's pretty neat. Now tell US how to do it !

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Pretty simple if I can do it. PVC weather proof box and solid cover. Drill two 7/8” (22mm) holes. Polarized plug, Power to X1 terminals, neutral to X2. Meters only have two terminals. Strain relief clamp for cord.

Same meters going on the generator.
IMG_2852.jpeg

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Sunday fun day progress.

1.5” vent holes around the top. Rotatable prop for the lid for extra ventilation. Added an extra band of “can” material to the bottom for strength. Clamps and steel plate sandwiches the two layers.
IMG_2854.jpeg

Added blocks and 2,000# locking cam clamps securely attaching the cover to the deck.
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2855.jpeg

Large hole for 50amp plug. Cover easy to remove or install.
Magnetic contact thermometer on alternator to monitor temps.
IMG_2856.jpeg

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Installed new gauges. They worked great. Liked being able to monitor voltage and hertz at the generator and inside the house.

Four hour house load test.
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2901.jpeg

Cover still needs some work to improve ventilation. Monitored temperatures with both contact and non contact thermometers. Removed cover after two hours.

Power steady even with varying loading by turning major appliances on. Impressive!!!
Measured fuel consumption to average 0.57gallon/hour.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Installed new gauges. They worked great. Liked being able to monitor voltage and hertz at the generator and inside the house.

Four hour house load test.
View attachment 115478 View attachment 115479

Cover still needs some work to improve ventilation. Monitored temperatures with both contact and non contact thermometers. Removed cover after two hours.

Power steady even with varying loading by turning major appliances on. Impressive!!!
Measured fuel consumption to average 0.57gallon/hour.
Pretty impressive. As a point of comparison, my 7.5 kW generator with a single cylinder gas engine running at 3600 rpm consumes 0.56 gallons/hour at about 50% load.

It’s surprising the two power plants are so comparable in fuel consumption. IIRC, you’re running 2400 rpm to run the PTO at 515 rpm.

My B2601 consumes 0.8 gallons/hour at 2900 rpm to run the MMM mid PTO at 2000 rpm (the rear PTO is running 540 rpm at that engine speed).

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Final modifications as family time approaches.

Cut 7” square openings on the sides where the fan cooled alternator blows to discharge warm air.
Installed 345cfm rugged fan on the back directly blowing on the alternator and gearbox. 40 watts, ball bearings, metal housing and guards. GDSTIME Axial Fan 17251, 110V 120V AC 172mm x 150mm x 51mm Dual Ball Bearing High Speed for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects https://a.co/d/5NUKNI5

Probably don’t need fan for temperatures <70F but easy enough add. The way the lid is made have nice overhang for rain protection.
IMG_2909.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
IMG_2912.jpeg
IMG_2914.jpeg

Ready for all weathers.

The trash container makes for sturdy, nearly indestructible, lightweight, easy access cover. Providing protection during use and storage. Preferred by bears like me 9 to 1.

Conclusion.
If you have a tractor, a pto generator can make a lot of since. Much of the generator maintenance and fuel issues are already covered. Disappointed that my used generator voltage meter was not working correctly. Did provide the necessary opportunity to upgrade meters that give a better measurement of performance and accuracy. The cover not only provides protection while stored but also during inclement weather at multiple houses and buildings where it might be deployed.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Final modifications as family time approaches.

Cut 7” square openings on the sides where the fan cooled alternator blows to discharge warm air.
Installed 345cfm rugged fan on the back directly blowing on the alternator and gearbox. 40 watts, ball bearings, metal housing and guards. GDSTIME Axial Fan 17251, 110V 120V AC 172mm x 150mm x 51mm Dual Ball Bearing High Speed for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects https://a.co/d/5NUKNI5

Probably don’t need fan for temperatures <70F but easy enough add. The way the lid is made have nice overhang for rain protection.
View attachment 116648 View attachment 116649 View attachment 116651 View attachment 116652

Ready for all weathers.

The trash container makes for sturdy, nearly indestructible, lightweight, easy access cover. Providing protection during use and storage. Preferred by bears like me 9 to 1.

Conclusion.
If you have a tractor, a pto generator can make a lot of since. Much of the generator maintenance and fuel issues are already covered. Disappointed that my used generator voltage meter was not working correctly. Did provide the necessary opportunity to upgrade meters that give a better measurement of performance and accuracy. The cover not only provides protection while stored but also during inclement weather at multiple houses and buildings where it might be deployed.
VERY nice!