10kW PTO generator

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Picked up a used Winco 10kW pto generator.
Fixing up a 3pt carryall to mount it on. Careful measuring to keep the driveline level with either tractor. Using from most materials on hand.
IMG_2796.jpeg
IMG_2797.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg
IMG_2803.jpeg

Letting paint dry.

Reactions: 10 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Cool. (It’d look better in ORANGE tho’). :ROFLMAO:

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Left over paint from another project. Sealed the treated wood with urethane. Hoping the wooden deck wood help reduce vibration and noise.

When powering the houses on the farm the tractor/generator is outside. Considering options to help weatherproof the genset during use and storage. Storage inside barn concerns are dust and mice. From tarp to something more elaborate. Picked up a large hinged trash can as possible cover? Cut the top part off. Lid becomes a hood. Ample side holes for ventilation, cords, pto. Weather being most cause of outages, what do you do the protect generator during use?

Reactions: 1 user

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Gen-sets during 'storage' need to be protected against Mice and Mud Daubers where I am.

As you know....mice love to chew on any exposed wiring and IF Mud Daubers can get into the generator head or windings, they will build nests there.

I don't worry too much about a generator being exposed to the elements when in use. A generator will spend most of its time in storage (not being used) so needs to be properly protected.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice job!

Be sure to post pics of it in operation or "test mode"

I like that foot brake at the bottom.

You just solved my "run away" implement dolly problem. Thanks! 🍺

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Nice job!

Be sure to post pics of it in operation or "test mode"

I like that foot brake at the bottom.

You just solved my "run away" implement dolly problem. Thanks! 🍺
Those are sometimes known as floor locks, at least when I was working and putting them on equipment.
Definitely handy if there is any floor sloping towards a drain etc.

Bill

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Got the generator mounted. New driveshaft cut to fit. 60amp plug changed to 50 amp to match existing equipment.
IMG_2824.jpeg
IMG_2819.jpeg
IMG_2820.jpeg
IMG_2823.jpeg
]
515pto rpm about 400 less engine rpm than at 540pto.

Reactions: 6 users

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Nice work! Looks well thought out. Like 🏃‍♂️✂ says, that is a neat foot brake. I like how the portability for storage is built into the assembly.

I see you’ve got it on the B, a decent match, in terms of the tractor options you have for a 10kW genny.

Did you consider a slightly larger genny to optimize the amount of electricity generated relative to fuel consumed? 10kW being about 8 Hp and the PTO capacity being at least twice that maybe 1.5 after loses). Asking because that’s one of my quandaries every time I think about stepping up to a PTO genny.

You note the engine rpm is reduced by 400 rpm (about 20%) by tuning the PTO at 515 rpm vs 540 rpm. That will save some fuel. I see the genny made to be turned at 515 rpm, that’s nice.

For now I use a 7.5kW stand alone gas genny for the 10 or 20 hours a winter that I need power when the lines are down. It pulls about 0.6 gallons per hour at about 50% load. My B will pull about 0.8 gallons per hour at warp speed (engine rpm required to get 540 rpm at the PTO). No real storage issues with pests, I keep it in the garage. I do have a cloth cover, but generally don’t use it. I operate it under a lean too with the exhaust pointed out.

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Trying to figure out a voltage issue. With generator voltage gauge in green at 240v the plugs only measure 89v and 52htz per leg. If I speed it up to 60htz get 109v the generator meter is past green at about 280v. Might be as simple as adjusting the generator volt meter but the screw on the gauge doesn’t do much. It will run drill or fan but haven’t hook up to the house yet.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: adjusting the generator volt meter but the screw on the gauge doesn’t do much
if you mean the one at the bottom of the needle ,that's the 'zero' adjusting screw, used to put needle at zero volts when not running. It's unlikely there's an adjustment for the actual voltage.

normally you adjust engine speed to get PTO to spin the genny at 60 Hz under full load, maybe 60-62 under no load conditions. That should get the volts around 220-240, no load.

Hopefully you can get make/model info off the genny and contact the make to get instruction manual for it.

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
Trying to figure out a voltage issue. With generator voltage gauge in green at 240v the plugs only measure 89v and 52htz per leg. If I speed it up to 60htz get 109v the generator meter is past green at about 280v. Might be as simple as adjusting the generator volt meter but the screw on the gauge doesn’t do much. It will run drill or fan but haven’t hook up to the house yet.
I contacted Winco and talked to their technical guy when I was testing my old generator to be sure it worked correctly before I listed it for sale, they can probably help you with the voltage problem, they are very helpful.

I replaced my old Winpower 10/15KW unit with a Winco 27KW unit. The voltage regulation on the new one is very steady, no matter what load is place on it.

Contact me privately and I can give you the name of the guy I dealt with.

Attachments

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have owners manual. No help for my issue.

Called Winco and talked with technical support. Agreed the generator voltage meter is not reading properly and rare problem. Meter is not adjustable. Replacement $120. Hertz more reliable than voltage.

What I found yesterday by testing with a good meter is the difference between 515 and 540pto output is about 170 engine rpm on the B26. Mathematical ratio confirm this.

Solution:
Going to put a tick marks on the OEM voltage meter and tractor tachometer that corresponds with three different mutimeters. 118 per leg at 61hertz unloaded. 237v from 50amp plug. Order new digital LED voltage and hertz meters to install on generator panel. Meters are so cheap ordered spares and might make a box with A plug

Reactions: 1 users

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Nice work! Looks well thought out. Like 🏃‍♂️✂ says, that is a neat foot brake. I like how the portability for storage is built into the assembly.

I see you’ve got it on the B, a decent match, in terms of the tractor options you have for a 10kW genny.

Did you consider a slightly larger genny to optimize the amount of electricity generated relative to fuel consumed? 10kW being about 8 Hp and the PTO capacity being at least twice that maybe 1.5 after loses). Asking because that’s one of my quandaries every time I think about stepping up to a PTO genny.

You note the engine rpm is reduced by 400 rpm (about 20%) by tuning the PTO at 515 rpm vs 540 rpm. That will save some fuel. I see the genny made to be turned at 515 rpm, that’s nice.

For now I use a 7.5kW stand alone gas genny for the 10 or 20 hours a winter that I need power when the lines are down. It pulls about 0.6 gallons per hour at about 50% load. My B will pull about 0.8 gallons per hour at warp speed (engine rpm required to get 540 rpm at the PTO). No real storage issues with pests, I keep it in the garage. I do have a cloth cover, but generally don’t use it. I operate it under a lean too with the exhaust pointed out.

The voltage meter on the generator was wrong. When speed up to give proper voltage and hertz the difference between 515 and 540 is about 170rpm engine. That also agrees mathematically with the ratios. Adding new voltage and gauges.

The generator is rated 10kw continuous and requires 20hp pto to maintain that. That’s all the B26 could do. I don’t have big motors to start. It can provide all the power I need in an emergency.
Got the 10kw used locally. I would and could have used a larger generator. This one works well with both tractors.

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Worked some on the cover.
IMG_2825.jpeg
IMG_2827.jpeg
IMG_2831.jpeg

Needs some ventilation holes, cord holes. Holding down with bungees for now. Need a few blocks to hold the bottom from shifting. Lid has thick and strong drip edging to keep water out. Think the concept will work.

Reactions: 3 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Smokeydog

Equipment
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Needs A LOT of ventilation holes, or better yet, a small ventilation fan.
Not showing in photos well is a 6x15” slot for the pto shaft and 1x21” slot overhang in the back. The generator is fan cooled pulling air thru the generator from the back. Maybe make some louvers in the fan flow path? Do plan more holes and simply propping the up some with a bungee across the opening. Still would give rain protection. Being an engineer probably add a thermometer for #><? And giggles. I’ll have it NASA ready soon.
IMG_2828.jpeg

Surprisingly heavy, strong and rugged the trash can is. Made to be ruggedly handled in extreme outdoor temperatures. Doesn’t say but suspect this was a 65gallon bin. $35, used sourced locally. We have 96gallon versions for trash.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not showing in photos well is a 6x15” slot for the pto shaft and 1x21” slot overhang in the back. The generator is fan cooled pulling air thru the generator from the back. Maybe make some louvers in the fan flow path? Do plan more holes and simply propping the up some with a bungee across the opening. Still would give rain protection. Being an engineer probably add a thermometer for #><? And giggles. I’ll have it NASA ready soon. View attachment 112448

Surprisingly heavy, strong and rugged the trash can is. Made to be ruggedly handled in extreme outdoor temperatures. Doesn’t say but suspect this was a 65gallon bin. $35, used sourced locally. We have 96gallon versions for trash.
Understand the engineer mindset....I ARE one!

Love your stick carrier!
Looks exactly like my Sadie!.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Is the cover just for storage? If not maybe some eyebolts(mounted sideways on a dowel) so the cover can slide up about a foot allowing ventilation. Also would provide support so the can stays in place for storage. If you really want to get crazy get a fan and a PTO extender and mount the fan on the extender so when the generator is running the fan is blowing air over the generator.