100gx

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Hi to everybody, I am new to the tractor world. I am considering purchasing a 100GX tractor, this will be my first tractor and wanted to make sure I was paying a fair price or best value. Found two tractors on Tractorhouse, one in Oklahoma and one in Texas, I try to post a link to both but I am not allowed at this time. Just trying to understand what are the things to look at when you are comparing and whether or not they have the standard or optional equipment. Thank you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
that is a hellva "first" tractor! :)

what are you growing down there in Texas? Or plan to use it for?

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I currently have a Genesis 8 no-till drill and an 8' Roadrunner BH SERIES grader.
At this point, I am planning on growing Eagle Seed Buffalo blend (Elbon Rye, wheat, clover, buckwheat, winter rape, radish and turnip) and Soybean.

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I have a M9540. Buddy has an M105x. There is really no comparison between them other than HP. M9540 is a Utility tractor and GX is a mid size ag / row-crop tractor. Close to the same HP but big difference in size and weight. IMO the GX is going to be way to big in size for what you want to do. If lift capacity is a concern you can get an option on the 9540 that will greatly increase the lift capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
I have a M9540. Buddy has an M105x. There is really no comparison between them other than HP. M9540 is a Utility tractor and GX is a mid size ag / row-crop tractor. Close to the same HP but big difference in size and weight. IMO the GX is going to be way to big in size for what you want to do. If lift capacity is a concern you can get an option on the 9540 that will greatly increase the lift capacity.

Which option is that? Thank you

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
It’s the Assist Lift Cylinder kit. It is listed in the parts breakdown as an option. Also on tractordata.com there are 2 lift capacities.

I will check with Kubota tomorrow. Thank you
I checked on tractordata.com on the weight differences, the M9540 weights 6,175 lbs and the 100GX weights 9028 lbs, are the weights listed with the loader or without?

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Ok, I looked an M9540 - Hours: 1,118 and 100GX - Hours 832. The 100GX would cost me an extra $7,000.00 dollars. The M9540 according to Tractordata was $32,160 (2011) and the 100GX was $66,020 (2014). Well with the understanding that the 100GX is bigger than I need, would you pay an extra 7,000 for the larger tractor? What are the negatives of the larger tractor?

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
Weight and wheel base are the only disadvantages of a larger tractor. If you are planting food plots in tight spots (less than 5 acres) you will hate a larger tractor, or at least I do. Takes much more room to turn them around and get lined back up for your next pass. That being said i have never been in a GX series but I have run John Deere in that same class and hated them for food plot work. If you are in a wide open Ag field pulling ground engaging implements (large disc and plow) you would want to go with the larger tractor for the weight. Weight is your friend when pulling large ground engaging implements.
The 9540 is a “Jack of all Trades” it has the HP to pull a Batwing Cutter and is small enough to be handy at doing loader work and planting food plots in tight spots.
Why did you buy the 8’ Genesis 3pt vs a larger pull type grain drill? If you answer have to do with size and the ability to maneuver then I think you will be happier with a 9540.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would like to point out that there are several variation to the M9540 that greatly effect it's usefulness, performance, and price.

An M9540F is a heck of a lot different than a M9540HDC24. ;)

Bucks4me

Jan 4, 2018
Dallas, Texas
Weight and wheel base are the only disadvantages of a larger tractor. If you are planting food plots in tight spots (less than 5 acres) you will hate a larger tractor, or at least I do. Takes much more room to turn them around and get lined back up for your next pass. That being said i have never been in a GX series but I have run John Deere in that same class and hated them for food plot work. If you are in a wide open Ag field pulling ground engaging implements (large disc and plow) you would want to go with the larger tractor for the weight. Weight is your friend when pulling large ground engaging implements.
The 9540 is a “Jack of all Trades” it has the HP to pull a Batwing Cutter and is small enough to be handy at doing loader work and planting food plots in tight spots.
Why did you buy the 8’ Genesis 3pt vs a larger pull type grain drill? If you answer have to do with size and the ability to maneuver then I think you will be happier with a 9540.

Sorry for the late response but been fighting the flu. That's very logical, thanks for your help. I will certainly keep that in mind.