1.33 acres, heavily wooded and overgrown... Need advice on a tractor purchase!

Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
I think the BX is more than capable of my needs, to be perfectly honest.
I've done so much with just a hand cart, push mower, a shovel, manure fork, an axe, and loppers over the last 6 years at my current property.

My main reason for going bigger is just the cost really. If the B01 is only about $2000 more, why not go that route? It seems like the B01 vs BX is more than a 10% gain in capabilities, compared to a 10% gain in cost.

Now the bigger question is, should I even go this route at all now? The 10 pages of comments here surprised me - I was fully expecting a tidal wave of support to purchase a machine, but many of you think it might not even be worth it - just get a riding mower, pay someone to do the initial clearing, and save about $15k in the end. I'm finding it difficult to argue with that...

We close on the house tomorrow morning, and there is a lot to do aside from yardwork initially, like meeting with contractors and surveyors, and architects. In the first month, I will ultimately be push mowing and cutting things by hand like I have been doing for years.

I guess I'll soon find out how miserable it really is on the new lot, thus how "necessary" a tractor will be :)

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
11 pages and 200 comments. My prediction in post #2 was accurate. :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Aug 23, 2022
Delmarva
11 pages and 200 comments. My prediction in post #2 was accurate. :unsure:
That it was gonna get cr@zy? lol
You nailed it!
I'm happy to have found this community though! I've joined dozens of forums over the years; everything from photography to carpentry to tractors... This has easily been the most active community I've been a part of, particularly as a new member!
Thanks to all for participating

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I've done so much with just a hand cart, push mower, a shovel, manure fork, an axe, and loppers over the last 6 years at my current property.

My main reason for going bigger is just the cost really. If the B01 is only about $2000 more, why not go that route? It seems like the B01 vs BX is more than a 10% gain in capabilities, compared to a 10% gain in cost.

Now the bigger question is, should I even go this route at all now? The 10 pages of comments here surprised me - I was fully expecting a tidal wave of support to purchase a machine, but many of you think it might not even be worth it - just get a riding mower, pay someone to do the initial clearing, and save about $15k in the end. I'm finding it difficult to argue with that...

We close on the house tomorrow morning, and there is a lot to do aside from yardwork initially, like meeting with contractors and surveyors, and architects. In the first month, I will ultimately be push mowing and cutting things by hand like I have been doing for years.

I guess I'll soon find out how miserable it really is on the new lot, thus how "necessary" a tractor will be :)
The BX or B would do what you need. If there is only about a 10% difference for the B and you have access to both, I would go with it. Just a little more versatility and attachment options.

As far as the "necessary" comment, I would say 2 things.

1. You can dig a 10 ft hole with a metal teaspoon if you really wanted too, but a shovel would be a lot better. A mechanical power shovel is even better. It really just comes down to how much manual labor you want to do and how fast you want to do it. Only you can answer this.

2. If a tractor is in the budget I would definitely recommend it. With the FEL and many other attachment options, you can use it for all kinds of projects on top of what you think you will use it for. Only you can answer the budget question.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA

You’ll always find uses for a tractor once you own some property.

While I do recommend hiring a professional to perform difficult tasks that a small machine can’t accomplish, you’ll appreciate tractor ownership even more, when you begin getting quotes for other jobs you’re considering. Hiring and renting get expensive quickly.

As others have mentioned, the BX or B would be a great investment if it’s in the budget.

Mike

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
My main reason for going bigger is just the cost really. If the B01 is only about $2000 more, why not go that route? It seems like the B01 vs BX is more than a 10% gain in capabilities, compared to a 10% gain in cost
thats the thing about Kubota, you can incrementally work your way to an M in $2000 intervals

I think a B2601 is 95% the same as BX. just picking up a few pounds on the loader and some ground clearance.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

But keep in mind every $2000 dollar step up in size means you have to work longer/harder to earn the difference and that takes time from your family which was the reason for the tractor in the first place !! ;)

Get the whole family some work gloves, tools and get busy enjoying the time together teaching the young ones to work.

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC

That's the smart thing to do IMO. Hire someone to do the heavy duty clearing and then re-assess your needs. You can rent a 3.5 ton mini ex that for 1-2k for a week, though I personally would be able to clean ~1 acre in a day with that equipment as I got experience. You could probably hire someone to do it all in a day for 2k and since you're talking to contractors, they'll do it or know someone who can.

If you still want a tractor once it's cleaned up, go for it at that point. I think the main thing for you right now is you see over ground land and think that a BX/B will clean it up nicely. Some of it it could, but from the pictures, a lot of it wont be able to at all if not with a huge struggle and really slowly. Again like someone said, you can also dig a hole with a spoon (though that's maybe a more extreme example).

Again, you can do a lot with a 'garden tractor' + pull attachments + hand tools. I don't do every single thing with my tractor...sometimes I got out on the riding mower with STHL power tools. I use my tractor for heavy duty things that I simply can't do by hand reasonably. I like doing physical work...you get a workout and no need to go to the gym.

Here is another metaphor to help you decide do you really need a tractor:

On my property (75 acres, mostly wooded pine tree farm, but about 5 cleared spots, 4 lots, and trails everywhere with my coverts and 3 acre pond), there is an on-going need... it's not just 'let me clear this and I'm done.' I have to consistent things that need maintenance and on-going construction projects that need the equipment (+ many future projects). It's at the point that is cheaper for me to own equipment than rent it. Previously we've been hiring a guy with a skidsteer and huge excavator (not mini) or bulldozer to do things (they dug pond, cleared lots, made trails, and etc), but getting them to come out is a 6-9 month wait and they charge a lot... expect to pay at least 2-4k for a day's work, but during that time they can do a lot.

I bought a L3301 as my first time tractor thinking it would be big enough. Initially I looked at BX or more specifically john deere 1025R/ 2025r as it seemed like a comfortable size, but my gut told me to buy bigger than I think I needed as everyone always upgrades to bigger. The L3301 seemed huge initially, but then I grew into the size. As I used it more, I quickly realized it's just not big enough not because it couldn't do the work, it did it was too slow. When you got kids, a job (WFH), and other things to do, time matters as it's your limiting factor. I was sitting on the tractor a lot and got 200 hrs in a few months. I estimated I was doing about 60 hours a month...may not sound like a lot, but that's like 1.5 weeks full time sitting on a tractor per month (though in it was evened out and not all at once). I got a lot of work done, but a lot less than you'd think in that amount of time. The best part is I sold the L3301 and basically got all my money back...I would have lot a lot forever renting.

Operating a lighter weight tractor is more of a 'finesse' thing. You don't have the the brute force to dig into a pile of dirt and come out with a full scoop unless you finesse it. You don't have the power to do a lot of things unless you slow down and strategically approach the problem. With a heavier machine, you got the brute force to just do it and do it fast.

The speed is significantly faster. My L47 can easily just drive into a pile, grab a heaping bucket of dirt, then quickly (4-6 mph) run it over somewhere else, dump it, spread, run back. The L3301 struggled to get a full bucket then had to crawl to move it around, especially on slopes... It could do it, just slowly and carefully. This might not be a problem for some people who don't do it often, but when you got a project with a shittonna dirt to move, you just NEED to go faster or you'll be doing it forever (this is also never okay when doing work for others, who expect it done within reasonable time). For comparison, just find a video on youtube a 12k LB skidsteer doing work vs a BX...6-10 times faster is no exaggeration.

I wanted a mini-ex instead of TLB, but there is again the problem of speed. A mini-ex is really slow at doing a lot of tasks. It moves really slow and even when you're in position, the bucket+ boom is slow to do anything other than digging a hole. You could use it to backfill, grade, transport material, move applets, but it's just too slow to do it reasonably. Thus if you have a mini-ex, you really need a tractor or more likely a skid steer as well. Again it's not because a mini-ex can't do it, it just does it too slow. A backhoe wont do everything as fast like a longer, more powerful mini-ex boom, but it will do it, just slower...I was okay with this trade off for my needs. Loader/tractor work is more commonly needed than digging a hole with a mini-ex or backhoe.

Any decent sized project takes a lot longer than you think. You go into it thinking it will take a few hours then run into things and then decide to do more than you planned etc. Also once you have the equipment and get proficient with it, you create new projects.

In summary, I don't think you have a real need for tractor and I wouldn't buy a B/BX to clean that mess. Get someone with larger equipment to do it. The excitement of getting a toy will probably wear out by then you'll probably realize you don't really need a tractor (or maybe you'll see even more to do and want a tractor more). A sales person would love to convince you need one for 1 acre, but they'd be lying in your face and ultimately it may end up being a lawn ornament that you're eventually going to sell it at a loss. Again, nothing wrong with buying a tractor for entertainment....people do that all the time and will even upgrade every few years just to play with newest ones.

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ

My assessment of the thread is you got a few people who said "you don't need a tractor at all". Maybe 15%. A few people who said "get a huge machine". Again, maybe 15%.

Of the people who are giving what I consider sensible advice, which revolves around BX, B or LX, I'd say the majority, even the overwhelming majority, said for the increment in price the B is the sweet spot.

You got quite a few people (maybe 50% even) saying "don't get a mower for it, get a ride on". That's a long running debate on here with no right answer. But my view would be do what you can get approval for, and explaining to your better half that you bought a tractor but won't use it for mowing is kinda hard. Maybe in 2-3 years if you have need, get a ride on then, easier approval in two bites. But with your size property the tractor will mow fine, you'll never know that you're missing a theoretical 5 minute saving a week.

I spent 3 years wanting a tractor (at that time a BX) and talking myself out of it because my property is small and not complex. I bought an inexpensive and banged up BX, spent quite a bit of money putting a loader on it. I used it every week at least twice, and some days I'd spend the whole day driving it. I enjoyed it, I did work I'd never have bothered to do by hand, and I more than demonstrated that I was getting value.

I then sold the BX (for a little more than I paid), and bought a new B01. It's a much better machine for my use, and I wish I'd bought it originally, because some of the earlier things I did would have gone easier with the larger machine. I still use it every week, and do tasks that I wouldn't do without it. I've had it 1.5 years and I have 160 hours on it.

My highest volume uses, in order, are:
- mowing - both my property, local community land, and roadside near us
- loader work - mainly mulch, but occasionally helping the neighbours move dirt
- pulling the boat in and out of the lake, putting it in the garage
- forks work - loading, unloading, and moving my diesel transfer tank from the trailer to the heating oil tank
- spreading fertiliser ($100 electric fertiliser spreader, I built a 3ph frame for it)
- spraying weeds ($100 tank with small boom and wand, I built a 3ph frame for it)
- ferrying me to cut firewood with the trailer, moving the firewood home
- running my chipper to clean up fallen limbs and trees
- helping the local wetlands reclamation - moving dirt, rough mowing (with my MMM), spreading gravel or mulch etc

It depends what gives you enjoyment, but I enjoy driving my Kubota every time I get it out. I enjoy taking the mower on and off, taking the loader on and off, and doing small tasks with it. It's still worth what I paid for it, the fun I get from owning it (and not having to walk around with a shovel and a wheelbarrow) more than pays the (hypothetical) interest cost on the money I have invested in it. I'll get most of the money back when/if I sell it.

And it's not that I'm a money spender in general. The tractor cost more than my car, and half as much as the missus' car. It wasn't a small purchase, but it was worth it.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
You do realize that this thread will just continue with differing advise until you buy the tractor and shut us up ;) Get the one you want and enjoy it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Plant 175

Equipment
Kubota Sidekick
Jun 3, 2021
Wisconsin
If you want to get a leg up on that mess get someone with a skid steer and a Fecon head and let them do a couple hours of dirty work and use your new tractor for maintenance.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
'...the fun I get from owning it...'

THIS^^

';) Get the one you want and enjoy it.'

AND THIS^^!

GREAT ADVICE :love::love::love:

Trev450r

Equipment
B2601, Z231KH, Woodland Mills WC68
Jun 17, 2021
Canada
doubt anyone is going to notice 8 foot pounds of torque :rolleyes:
It was over 15% more when these machines are in the 50 to 60 fpt range 8 more Is quite a bit. "Horse power sells car, torque wins races"

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
The B2601 has more torque then the BX, my dealer I delt with had motor and pto hp and torque numbers they got with there dyno.
I realize the difference, I'm just saying they show the same rear PTO hp.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All I know is never down play the BX, the BX 2360 thats next to the B 2601, has done everything I ever asked and a lot of things it probbly should not have been asked to do. Now the reason the B found a home was because finding a FEL and a few other things for the BX was to the point of being cost prohibitive if in fact you could find them at all. For my money ,and it is very easy to spend someone elses money, you will not go wrong with the BX for what you have. No matter what job you do think it through, stop and think it through again! My BX has pulled logs up out of the woods, pushed snow, gravel, run box and rear blades and cut more freekin grass grape vines and wild roses and bamboo, than it should have ever had to do. OH one more thing onthe down side the BX does not have the ground clearance of the B, other wise there is not a lot of difference

Reactions: 4 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
New member here!
My wife and I are under contract on a property in town, we settle next week!

The property was abandoned for 40 years and is in major need of attention. There is an old 1800s farmhouse that we will be renovating over the next year +, while the contractor is out there working on the structure, I'd like to put some time into reclaiming the lot.

There are a lot of old-growth trees on the property we'd like to preserve: pawpaw, black walnut, persimmon, trifoliate orange, poplar, boxwoods (40+ feet tall!), dogwoods, redbuds, cedar, and many more I have yet to identify. The ivy and vines are strangling the trees though, and there are a lot of small saplings that should be removed as well. I'd like to cut a few trails through the back of the lot too.

I've been looking at the B2601 with the front end loader, rear finish mower, and a rotary cutter. I'd also consider a 3rd function and grapple, a box blade, and a land rake (this is all getting expensive haha)...

Is this tractor overkill for only 1.33 acres?? I am approaching information overload on YouTube, Reddit, Forums, etc. So many people just reference acreage when suggesting tractor models, "B2601 for 5-10 acres, BX for under 3 acres, etc..." - I'm assuming this means overall for fields, pasture, etc. 1 acre of woods can be more work for a tractor than 5 acres of fields, I'd imagine?

I'm going to a dealership next week to see the BX and B side by side. That might help me make a decision, but I would like some opinions to further overload my brain before I go!

The primary uses for the tractor:
Finish mowing the lawn (less than 1/4 acre)
Removing cut trees
Removing brush
Cutting trails
Hauling and spreading gravel for driveway
Occasional snow removal (we get a decent snow fall once every 5 years)
Hauling and spreading mulch
Hualing and spreading compost
Maintaining a vegetable garden
And of course, NOT pulling my nephew around in a wagon :)

Let me know what you think.
B2601?
BX2680?

Something entirely different??

Also worth noting, I visiting a John Deere and New Holland dealership already. I haven't fully ruled them out yet, but I'm leaning more towards the orange tractor now... I like the size of the B2601, and the BX for the value. I guess the test drive and dealer experience next week will be the deciding factor!

EDIT: adding photos to help visualize the property. It's hard to capture the extent of it, but there is a full acre of this level of growth...
Rent and learn to use an excavator (say 4-6 ton range with an angle blade). Clear everything with that, then get a BX or a B. If you only have 1/4 acre to mow, probably a BX.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
All I know is never down play the BX, the BX 2360 thats next to the B 2601, has done everything I ever asked and a lot of things it probbly should not have been asked to do.

Now that sounds like a real tractor owner! :D

(y)

• Love
  • Haha

Rmay6850

Equipment
BX2680, RTV X900
Apr 29, 2021
Virginia
I must say that a year + ago I bought a BX 1880, realized the pro hp would not run the implements I wanted (chipper) so 3 months later I traded ( took my loss) in for a bx2680 and have never looked back. At 62 just the Titan forks have more than assured me I made the right decision for my back and body. I have just under 3 acres and am always in need to run limbs and small branches through the chipper so think long term and get something that your body will appreciate when you get older….

just my 2 cents

good luck

Reactions: 3 users