09 8540 with bad vibration in front?

mtnfield excavating

Oct 30, 2012
creston,nc
I have an 8540 4wd with loader that has a bad vibration in the front. I have noticed that it only does it at slow speads.It is bad enough to where it will shake the cab.At high speads it dosent do it just when you are slow. Could it be un even tire wear or something going out of the frontend. I have also noticed that the tires in the front are kinda tilted out at the top.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Mine does it at 10 mph, above or below is fine.
Take it our of 4 wheel drive and see if it still does it.

E/S

mtnfield excavating

Oct 30, 2012
creston,nc
Thanks for the reply. I have run it both ways in 4 wheel and out . it dosent seem to make a difference. Does your tractor have the same issues? I thought about changing the tires out but they are not half worn.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What kind of speeds are you talking and on what surface?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Sounds like tires on a hard surface.
What type of tires are on it ?

E/S

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sounds like tires on a hard surface ?

E/S
Could be, running the same speed on loose gravel or dirt might help isolate the problem. I try not to run 4WD on hard surfaces, but have forgotten a time or two.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The first and cheapest thing to check would be the front tires. Does the tractor sit for periods? You might have flat spots, or it can be uneven tread bars. I would jack the front up, either with a jack or if it has a loader on it, shut the tractor down, and rotate the tires. Listen for any noises in the front end. My guess would be tires.
You can also check the kingpins at that time- grab the tires at 12 and 6 o'clock, and tug on them. If there is no movement, then they are probably fine. There is some tilt engineered into the front end. If it is excessive, it can be kingpins.
At the same time, pull on the tires at 3 and 9 o'clock. That way, you can check the tie rod ends.

mtnfield excavating

Oct 30, 2012
creston,nc
Thanks for all the replies.The tractor hardley ever sits but maybe a day or two. I have tried it in 4 wheel and two wheel seems like it does it in both,The speeds are usually slow around 5 mph or less. I di notice some uneven tread wear and it looks like the tires are almost flat like instead of rounded. I hadnt really noticed this until i got back from feeding. I picked up the front end and dont notice any play anywhere. The tractor only has around 1500 hours. I have never had any problem with it except with the shuttle shift and i have grown uset to that now. so i guess it looks like the tires is my trouble then? If it was the front end or the gears it would be making some kind of growling noise then?

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I really think its tires and speed.
If it was drivetrain things like load and 2/4 wheel drive would make a difference.

E/S

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My 9000 will do the same thing at lower speeds on hard ground like a driveway or asphalt. Mine has Titans on it and they just do that. Normally I can increase the speed just a little and the bouncing will quit.

mtnfield excavating

Oct 30, 2012
creston,nc
My tires are titans as well. Thanks for the reply its good to have a place to discuss problems with other people. The dealers around here look at you like you are crazy if you have a problem.

mtnfield excavating

Oct 30, 2012
creston,nc
thought i would give an update onthe vibration problem. I went ahead and had new tires put on and it took away the problem. I had bkt put on they seem to be a pretty good tire so far. Thanks for the info.