Equipment tracking device

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gps type tracking system that can be installed in a new tractor so it can can be tracked if stolen? Something like a Lo Jack system for vehicles.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
tractor theft has been on the rise out here and I've heard of people putting Low Jack's in them. Not sure of the spelling, or what they do-just what I've heard.

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Thanks lugbolt. I checked on Lojack but they are only available in 28 states and naturally Alabama is not one of them. I hope someone out there has used something similar. You are right about theft being on the rise and I really don't want to take delivery of a new Kubota without some security device installed.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
If you can't get a gps systems, why not install some cameras? There has been a rise of thefts in my area. My neighbor told me a lot of kids breaking into barns and garages stealing tools mostly.

I installed a wireless camera system that I like. Arlo. It takes batteries, no wires to run. It does need to be in proximity of your wireless router to work though. Sends instant alerts to your phone/email and instantly log in via cell signal to see what's going on. It saves all your videos and images to a remote server at no extra cost. Held up a year so far in below freezing and 93 degree weather. I think it's great. You could always try a wired system. Swann is a good brand for that.

GL

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
At the mine I work at covers many thousand acres and some smaller support equipment tends to be hard to track down some days so our IT dept started having us in maintenance start installing GPS pucks from Verizon on all of the smaller pieces of support equipment and it is tied into a gps system in house so anyone can look at a screen and see exactly where it last sent signal from.
Cost is 200 bucks per year per unit through Verizon. These particular units need to be wired into 12volt power supply.

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Thanks for the great information. I will definitely look into the Verizon puck and the wireless cameras. At 66 years old this will be my first "new" tractor and I sure can't afford to loose it. I want to do everything I can to protect it. Sad days we live in. I remember when you didn't have to lock your house or anything else and people didn't bother anything. Those days are definitely gone. Any other ideas are much appreciated.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
While tracking and/or cameras are good, there are ways around them, don't forget to get dedicated insurance for it so if it does disappear completely you are compensated.

ShortMagFan

Equipment
MX5800HST
Jun 1, 2016
N/S Carolina
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good gps type tracking system that can be installed in a new tractor so it can can be tracked if stolen? Something like a Lo Jack system for vehicles.
Google "SPOT Trace". About $99 for the device and another $99 for an annual subscription.

I have them hidden on my tractor and Kawasaki mule, both of which stay on my farm an hour from where I live.

When either device moves I get a text message. There is an app I can pull up on my phone to see where the device is - it lays down "tracks" every few minutes when in motion

I also have game cameras high in trees pointed at the entrances to my pole barn. Caught a guy on camera this spring and had him arrested for attempted break in.

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Google "SPOT Trace". About $99 for the device and another $99 for an annual subscription.

I have them hidden on my tractor and Kawasaki mule, both of which stay on my farm an hour from where I live.

When either device moves I get a text message. There is an app I can pull up on my phone to see where the device is - it lays down "tracks" every few minutes when in motion

I also have game cameras high in trees pointed at the entrances to my pole barn. Caught a guy on camera this spring and had him arrested for attempted break in.
Thanks ShortMagFan.... I will definitely take a close look. This sounds like what I need.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
I have GPS on all of my rental equipment. I use Goldstar GPS. they are Goldstargps.com. $160.00 per unit, $14.95 per year, first 3 years free, 500 locates included per unit. This unit is their Talon GPS tracking device. They use the Verizon 4g network. Keep in mind that most GPS locators are primarily cell signal activated so it's important to know which provider they use and their strength in your area. Their online dashboard is good and available on mobile phones. These units won't necessarily track the vehicle but will tell you it's current location.

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Why even worry about tracking it?

As a friend of mine long ago taught me... "Nobody pays like insurance".

I have a farm policy that covers my major farm pieces. Right now I have 2 tractors, utility vehicle, rollback trailer, welding rig and a commercial mower on mine. Adding my new 'Bota to it was only about $35 a year. That covers them all for theft, fire, flood storm or accident whether it's on my place or not.

Come and take it, we'll just run a new one in right under it.

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Sounds like I need to sit down with my insurance agent and see what she can tell me. Someone also mentioned that Kubota might insure it since I will be financing it with them. Certainly things to consider. Thanks for the info.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
The important things to ask are, does the policy cover replacement value and is the deductible waived if it has GPS. If GPS waives the deductible, to can opt for a higher deductible and a lower premium. If you buy an actual cash value policy, the insurance company decides what it was worth. That often is less than you might hope for. My coverage will replace the machine with no deductible because of GPS. I would rather find the machine and the crook.

dbuster

Aug 27, 2016
Selma, AL USA
Excellent information. I would like to get both as well. I lost a 16 foot trailer and a 4 wheeler several years ago and they were both out of sight, chained down, locked up tight. I have also been hit for a generator and a trencher. I have started locking what I can in a 40 foot shipping container.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you buy a GPS unit, be sure to wire it to constant power. Some people connect them to the switch to where the machine has to be turned on to do a locate

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
Excellent information. I would like to get both as well. I lost a 16 foot trailer and a 4 wheeler several years ago and they were both out of sight, chained down, locked up tight. I have also been hit for a generator and a trencher.
Somebody's got your number.... I've never lost a thing off my place.

I kinda look at it like this, since I'm paying for the insurance to be prepared for the worst... nuthin is gonna happen, and it's like money wasted... But if I wasn't prepared, it surely would happen.

The good side is that insurance covers a lot more than just theft, the tracker won't help you there. I totally agree about the guy having tracking on his rental equipment, that's a different kettle of fish and the expense of it becomes deductible and probably helps his insurance rates across the fleet as well.

I think that the $35 a year that it cost to add my new 'Bota is a lot more bang for the buck... and on less bucks, than $200+/yr on tracking it. Based on that price I have everything of high valve on my place insured for less than the cost of tracking just 2 items.

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
All valid points except the unit sells for $160.00 and then the cost is $15.00 per year starting the 4th year. Over 10 years, the average cost is $29.50 per year. You also need to factor in the deductible cost. I'm sure the deductible is low through Kubota. Mine is 5 grand.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I will add - We tried GPS trackers at the municipality were I worked. But they didn't perform well because the operators always parked their tractors under the trees in the shade at the end of the day, and the GPS units didn't work under the trees - it needed a direct line of sight to satellite. So if you park in a garage or under a tree, there is no signal (you wouldn't know if the tractor was tampered with, and if the power was cut to GPS, you wouldn't know it was stolen).

Actually, we tested them not really for theft deterrent but mostly to see where the tractors were during the day (and to how much ground was being covered/mowed and how long they sat in the same place).