Tires and Rims, WTF???

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
Can someone point me to something that will explain all the numbers on my B3030 Front Tires?

I wrecked a Bridgestone 180/85R12 tire.
Everywhere I've gone tells me, either there is no such thing or that it isn't being made any longer.

So the RIM has a sticker on it that includes the above numbers, but then it also says "7-12" and R BR8707.

The NAPA store here tells me they can get me a Goodyear 7-12, but I can't get google to show me a photo of one. I also read that these were tubeless where the one I wrecked has a tube.

Are these, in fact, the same sized tire? (7-12 and 180/85R12)

Thanks

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
You folks really need to use cameras........really.

You either have a trailer tire, or a car tire (yes, some of the small cars have 12" wheels), or you have an ATV tire.

Tube only tells of a repair, R stands for radial and it would have been tubeless.

7-12s no longer exist.

You need to look to the Carlisle 23x8.50x12

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Here are the factory wheel codes and tire sizes for the B2910

BR8707**
ABR9382**
Front 180/85 D12 R1 AG
Rear 12.4 - 16 R1 AG

ABR8742
ABR8744��
Front 24 x 8.50 - 14 TURF Multi Trac
Rear 13.6 - 16 TURF Multi Trac

ABR8726
BR8749
Front 23 x 8.50 - 14 R4 IND.
Rear 12.4 - 16 R4 IND.
After seeing your other post in another thread..........D.......not an R...?

Check the RC of both the new and old tire to make sure they are relatively the same.

And if you have 4WD make sure you replace both front tires.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On tractors they commonly put tubes in tires if, one the tire has a leak, and two if they want to fill the tire with calcium chloride (the tube keeps from eating up the rim).

If you can still get the 7-12's that will work or go with Carlisle 23x8.50x12 like lsmurphy suggests.

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
Here's a photo.

Thanks for your help. I'm nearly convinced that the Goodyear 7-12 that the NAPA dealer can supply is the same tire as the Bridgestone 180/85D12. It is tubeless though.

FWIW: the Kubota part number is 6C072-50040. If I google that, I get a 7-12 tire.

I do not have water in my tires. My property is pretty steep and I've done OK without the water. When the traction is a problem, it was because the dirt is too loose, like ball-bearings. I don't think more weight would help. But the Center of Gravity advantages for traveling across a slope (which I don't do, just up and down) would be comforting.

Is adding water ballast difficult? Can I screw it up?

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
The 7-12 sticker on your rim is for the size of the rim not necessarily the tire size. A rim size can have more than one tire size mounted on it. It would have to be a 12" tire, but the width and height of the tire can be different. What size is the other front tire? The two front tires need to be the same size. As far as the tire being tubeless or not, most rims nowadays a capable of having the tire mounted tubeless or a tube put in.

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
Thanks.

Tire sizes have always been a mystery to me.

I found this link to be quite helpful.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

I appreciate your information since it confirms what I thought was going on.

But that just confuses me more since Kubota only specifies a 7-12 tire in their part number, nothing about the tread or sidewall etc. And the tire I'm buying is only specified as a 7-12. And sadly, I just received a call that they only have one of them. They're going to get the other one from some place in CA and it's going to be here 3 Dec.

FWIW, I did figure out that 180mm ~= 7 inches. So it would seem I should be able to put on any 180/xx?12 tire (where xx is sidewall and ? is tire construction). But, I understand that if the tires aren't the right overall diameter (which I thought "should" mean adding 180 and 2*xx but it doesn't) that I can mess up the 4WD gears in my tractor. So how do I discover the diameter of the tires I'm buying?

This "appears" to be the tire.
http://www.titanstore.com/info/42D682GY
It has a 'rolling circumference' (which is what I guess ismurphy was referring to when he said "rc") of 73". My uninflated tire measures 72.5". But then <sigh> this page also states that the rim size is 6". (which turns out to be the measured width of my wheel. The tire width @ 6.8" is within 1/10" of what I measure on my uninflated Bridgestone. However, the Goodyear states it has a diameter of 24", as you'll see below, my uninflated Bridgestone is only 23"

I'm kind of angry with Kubota about this. Its almost as if they want me to screw up and wreck my tractor. Given the terrain of my property, I always use 4WD.

I still did not understand how to interpret the 23x8.50x12 tire size that ismurphy recommended until I measured the diameter of my tire and found it to be 23" in diameter. Then I found a web site that states the Carlisle tire is recommended for a 7" rim width, but that information is not on the tire. <sigh> And then what does it mean that my 7-12 wheel has only a 6" rim?

Anyway, I'm going with the Goodyear tires. Getting 2 of them. Then praying that this is going to be "good enough" so my tractor will be happy.

Thanks

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
OTOH, perhaps they made the tires so reliable that they so rarely need replacement?
OTOOH,why would Kubota choose such a non-standard tire?
OTOOOH, why can't this industry get its act together?

Oh, I know, they want to screw the consumer. No wonder I see Republican Politics everywhere. <sigh>

Please, if anyone can provide a better suggestion than "planned obsolescence" (which I, perhaps mistakenly, equate to Republican Greed) give me a clue!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly it's the tire manufactures that are at fault and not the tractor manufactures!;)
It's not only Kubota that has a problem because of it, it's several others too!:(

And WOW what a rant your on!:eek:

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Aloha!
Ismurphy is correct on which tires ( must change both! ) you need to put your B3030 to replace the 7-12's. It's all about rolling circumference and if you don't use the correct size that way you will have problems sooner or later.
Personally I'd go with the Carlisle brand R4 that you can find anywhere in the USA from many sources at very reasonable prices and small enough to ship easily Fedex or UPS at a resonable cost for that part too. Go to Carlisle
http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/

Actually if you went to ANY tire dealer instead of a parts store you'll get the quickest responce to fullfil your needs as that's what they specialize in. That part of finding tires I can't for the life of me understand why people don't take the most OBVIOUS path by going to a tire store. If you want food would you go to NAPA to find that too? Perhaps I've got a bad attitude because of your obvious tone against conservatives/republicans who have the ambition and gumption to be in business to make a living providing goods and services to fullfil the needs in the market place.

If all we had were liberal democrats in this country we'd soon run out of funds to support those Sheeple that can't or won't do it.
Al

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Aloha!
Ismurphy is correct on which tires ( must change both! ) you need to put your B3030 to replace the 7-12's. It's all about rolling circumference and if you don't use the correct size that way you will have problems sooner or later.
Personally I'd go with the Carlisle brand R4 that you can find anywhere in the USA from many sources at very reasonable prices and small enough to ship easily Fedex or UPS at a resonable cost for that part too. Go to Carlisle
http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/

Actually if you went to ANY tire dealer instead of a parts store you'll get the quickest responce to fullfil your needs as that's what they specialize in. That part of finding tires I can't for the life of me understand why people don't take the most OBVIOUS path by going to a tire store. If you want food would you go to NAPA to find that too? Perhaps I've got a bad attitude because of your obvious tone against conservatives/republicans who have the ambition and gumption to be in business to make a living providing goods and services to fullfil the needs in the market place.

If all we had were liberal democrats in this country we'd soon run out of funds to support those Sheeple that can't or won't do it.
Al

I chose not to respond to the 'conservative' attack, I realize that HI is a liberal shithole in the middle of the Pacific.

I assume that the 7-12s are out of production as there is little call for them, no use in a production run of 10K of them so they can sit in warehouses and rot.

As to NAPA, I wonder , as I have not been there, just how many outlets HI has for tires and the like?

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
My apologies for the rant.

Let me ask a really stupid question, is there any reason to believe that the Goodyear 7-12 NAPA says they can get is any different in dimensions than the Bridgestone 180/85D12 currently mounted? In other words, when is a 7-12 not a 7-12?

FWIW, the NAPA store here on Kauai is suppose to be the biggest tire dealer -- PS&D tires same franchise, same location. Tire Warehouse (#2) had no options at all.

I've looked at all the tires available on the Carlisle site. None of them are the right size. The only R4 available is the "Xtragrip R4" and is only available in 43x16.

Nor do they list the Carlisle 23x8.50x12 suggested yesterday (although I can find it on Nextag, but as with the Ebay ad ismurphy pointed to yesterday "I don't trust it".

PS&D (which is the NAPA store) says they can get me 2 Goodyear 7-12 tires.

Thanks for the information.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
My apologies for the rant.

Let me ask a really stupid question, is there any reason to believe that the Goodyear 7-12 NAPA says they can get is any different in dimensions than the Bridgestone 180/85D12 currently mounted? In other words, when is a 7-12 not a 7-12?

FWIW, the NAPA store here on Kauai is suppose to be the biggest tire dealer -- PS&D tires same franchise, same location. Tire Warehouse (#2) had no options at all.

I've looked at all the tires available on the Carlisle site. None of them are the right size. The only R4 available is the "Xtragrip R4" and is only available in 43x16.

Nor do they list the Carlisle 23x8.50x12 suggested yesterday (although I can find it on Nextag, but as with the Ebay ad ismurphy pointed to yesterday "I don't trust it".

PS&D (which is the NAPA store) says they can get me 2 Goodyear 7-12 tires.

Thanks for the information.

I suppose it is possible that NAPA has them in a warehouse, they would be NOS, new old stock.

They have been out of production for several years from what I understand.

Check with NAPA and see if they can really get them, if so, you are set. If not, you'll have to explore other options.

If you don't care........Carlisle does have a 7-12 ATV tire, it is 4 ply and should work.

Or you can explore other wheels.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Another option.

6 lug to 5 lug adapters.

Change to a common 5 lug 7" or 8" ag wheel with a positive offset, you will find this wheel as a rear wheel for JD lawn tractors.

The positive offset will offset the 2" adapter thus keeping your current wheel-to-hub configuration.

Then you will have an option of 23x8.50-12 or 23x10.50-12 in the Trupower ags. I believe the 10.50s have a slight RC gain........you'll need to figure what will work best with your rear tires.

The gain will be added traction and you could gain added stability if you were to utilize this transition to create a greater stance.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sadly 7-12, or any tire for that matter can vary from manufacture to manufacture, Especially in tractor tires there is not set standard that they all follow.

I imagine HI is a little different than the continental US, as it is the same way in out of the way small towns, amazing what you can get in the oddest places.

FWIW:
Kmorrow and yotejoe off EBay are both very reputable sellers!
I have had a few deals with them and they turned out perfectly.
There is a reason they both have 100% feedback scores.
I find EBay a real safe way to buy things, and I buy 100's of items a month for several of my companies.

KauaiJohn

Equipment
B3030HST
Apr 25, 2011
Kalaheo HI
Thank you.
I'm going to go with the NAPA option.
FWIW: the Kubota dealer "says" he can get 7-12's from Kubota, but at a significantly higher price.

One last question. Is there a good web link that will help me figure out what the right questions to ask are?