HST Whine.....Gone.......!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have to remind you that there is a man that is a multi-millionaire because his coffee was too hot...
It was a 79 year old woman and she got less than $600K. She also got 3rd degree burns, required skin grafts and 2 years of rehab. She was permanently disfigured.

She originally asked for $20k to cover her medical expenses. McD refused. Things escalated from there. McD refused all offers to settle before it went to trial, where it came out that McD knowingly and deliberately heated the coffee well above a scalding temperature in order to ensure it would stay hot longer.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't much care for McDee's coffee anyway, hot or tepid.

Valkyreel

Equipment
L3901
Dec 21, 2019
London Ohio USA
Hi everybody. First post on here. Read all of the posts on the thread, lots of back and forth about who would be sued or not, but no actual "seconds" to the OP whether it works or not. Has anyone else tried it and does it work? I think that foam would actually seal the steel from air/water infiltration if fully filled. Even if not it would probably take a hundred years to weaken the rops to failure. My "guess". I would fill mine in a second if I hear that it works. I won't be around in 2118.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Maybe we have a plumber in our audience. What happens if you put a pneumatic plumber plug into the ROPS and blow it up? No change to the ROPS, no holes drilled, and the moisture can move around it. Or double over a bike intertube and blow it up. That should change the sound.

https://ag.tennessee.edu/AgSafety/Pages/Statistics.aspx For those of you that think the ROPS should or could just be taken off.

Last edited:

KennysNewFarm

Equipment
MX5800
Dec 28, 2017
Missouri
How about each and everyone here is old enough to make their own decisions. If that decision costs money down the road because it caused damage to the tractor it will be a chance you take. Human nature seems to have a cause for justification. We do not always have to justify ourselves. If half of you want to fill it with foam knowing it will cause issues for trade in then by all means. My tractor is hopefully here for the rest of my life. If it is too noisy I wear ear plugs. I have yet to have to wear them. Maybe the HST whine is tellling you to change gears. Maybe your over working high or medium range causing the whine. Just seems like this post has been nothing but bickering. Hopefully we can move on.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If you are that worried about resale value DO NOT START YOUR TRACTOR!

The 1700 hours I had on my last machine had a LOT more to do with my trade in value than the ROPS full of drilled and tapped holes (that the dealer happily took in trade and never even said a word about). Hours was the ONLY thing they mentioned, for it's age it was in great shape.

Use closed cell foam, it is waterproof and seals a metal surface (look up metal roofing and closed cell expanding foam) nothing to worry about as far as corrosion goes.

If any you are really that convinced that foam is going to change the integrity of the ROPS make sure you don't clamp anything to it either, clamping anything to it actually does create a weak spot at the clamp. If it is the boogeyman lawyer you are worried about this should keep you up at night.

I worry just enough about stupid litigation to purchase insurance. If it comes to lawyers, they can fight it out.

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I read this several days ago. Picked up one bag of the liquid foam and filled my ROPS. Holy crap, what a difference... especially with my cab. Im not concerned with moisture as my machine lives under a roof and the seasons changing causing condensate would take probably 20 years to do any considerable harm.

I saw Armaflex was recommended for covering the outside of the ROPS. That would actually hold moisture directly against the steel. I have sheets of it from work and while it makes excellent kneeling pads, it holds moisture like a sponge.

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Maybe a piece of bicycle inner tube between the mounting point of the rops and chassis would isolate it enough to keep the whine from resonating up through the pipe?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don’t tell them it’s filled, unless it’s visible.
Nothing like dealing with honesty! When your kids come home and give you a line of BS about where they been or what they been doing or seeing, just remember they're following what they've been taught.:D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nothing like dealing with honesty! When your kids come home and give you a line of BS about where they been or what they been doing or seeing, just remember they're following what they've been taught.:D
SMOKING COMMENT... and oh so true.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I had a bad whine on mine when I got it and is a gear tran. I got rid of it by tightened the blots down where the ROP folds.. Question for those who has traded it tractors who looked to see if the ROP was full or not

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I got rid of it by tightened the blots down where the ROP folds..

What are 'blots' inquiring minds want to know?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Don't matter a darn what brand you buy, JD, Kioti, Branson, Mahindra, Boomer, , RK or any brand, if it is an Hydrostat, it's gonna whine. It's a matter of harmonics in the powertrain, how it works. All the same and the owners, as well as the tractors, all WHINE about it too.:rolleyes:

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
It was a 79 year old woman and she got less than $600K. She also got 3rd degree burns, required skin grafts and 2 years of rehab. She was permanently disfigured.

She originally asked for $20k to cover her medical expenses. McD refused. Things escalated from there. McD refused all offers to settle before it went to trial, where it came out that McD knowingly and deliberately heated the coffee well above a scalding temperature in order to ensure it would stay hot longer.
Yeah, Ronald McDonald is now working at Wendy's flipping burgers

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
I got rid of it by tightened the blots down where the ROP folds..

What are 'blots' inquiring minds want to know?
Thats called dam spell check. It was suppose to be bolts