How much for new loader pins?

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I was greasing the loader today and discovered a missing zerk and one zerk didn’t take grease. I put in a new zerk and still wouldn’t take grease. I couldn’t get a zerk to grab in the other pin. The hole is too small, but I can’t tell if the previous one broke off.
what do new pins cost? Obviously they have not seen grease in a while. I opened the grease hole with a screw. They were both packed with rust.
Are these parts a dealer would have in stock?
IMG_3383.jpeg
IMG_3384.jpeg
IMG_3385.jpeg
IMG_3386.jpeg
IMG_3387.jpeg

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Go to Messicks and search for the loader model under illustrated parts. Then look for the pins you want to replace. Then write that down and search Messicks for the cost.

You may want to search the internet to see what is available using that Kubota part number.

Messicks will charge for shipping but your local dealer won’t charge for shipping if you tell them to get the parts on their normal truck del that comes every week

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would clean them up with a wire wheel and clean the grease passages. Get new grease fittings installed and put them back into the machine. If they are loose then replace them. If not you dodged a bullet and keep greasing them going forward.

Reactions: 3 users

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
Go to Messicks and search for the loader model under illustrated parts. Then look for the pins you want to replace. Then write that down and search Messicks for the cost.

You may want to search the internet to see what is available using that Kubota part number.

Messicks will charge for shipping but your local dealer won’t charge for shipping if you tell them to get the parts on their normal truck del that comes every week
Thanks, I was able to find them and it’s $15 and $30. A dealer is close by, so I’ll try them first

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would clean them up with a wire wheel and clean the grease passages. Get new grease fittings installed and put them back into the machine. If they are loose then replace them. If not you dodged a bullet and keep greasing them going forward.
AGREED!

If you do need to buy new from Messick's, ask them to ship via USPS.
MUCH cheaper than UPS!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I was greasing the loader today and discovered a missing zerk and one zerk didn’t take grease. I put in a new zerk and still wouldn’t take grease. I couldn’t get a zerk to grab in the other pin. The hole is too small, but I can’t tell if the previous one broke off.
what do new pins cost? Obviously they have not seen grease in a while. I opened the grease hole with a screw. They were both packed with rust.
Are these parts a dealer would have in stock?
View attachment 125842 View attachment 125843 View attachment 125844 View attachment 125845 View attachment 125846
The fourth picture looks like the zerk broke off in the hole. Maybe you could drill it out to clear the passage and use an eze-out to remove the zerk.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Put the pins in vinegar (acid bath) for a couple days. Clean them off and see what you've got.

I'd say redrill and tap new zerks after that, reinstall, and go do tractor work.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The fourth picture looks like the zerk broke off in the hole. Maybe you could drill it out to clear the passage and use an eze-out to remove the zerk.
Drill out with LEFT HAND drill bit.
Ez- out then perhaps not necessary!

Reactions: 2 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd do as others have suggested, clean them up and use them, but for $50 maybe just replace them!

Jim’sMX

Equipment
MX5100
Dec 19, 2023
W-S NC
I'd do as others have suggested, clean them up and use them, but for $50 maybe just replace them!
I cleaned one and cleared the grease tunnel, so it’s functioning properly. It was a ckskr to reinstall so I’ll assume it’s not to loose. Thanks all for the suggestion. At least $15 saved so far. On the second one I will try ez out. I can’t imagine it’s supposed to have a zerk thread diameter different from the others. I’m thinking the zerk broke off.

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
What I remember the zerks are a metric size, none of my standard size fit, got a multi metric set on Amazon to increase my collection. I would clean it up and use it, grease till it comes out somewhere then you know its pumping.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
What I remember the zerks are a metric size, none of my standard size fit, got a multi metric set on Amazon to increase my collection. I would clean it up and use it, grease till it comes out somewhere then you know its pumping.
Great, now you tell us that the grease fitting is metric! I am now on the hunt for a metric grease gun and metric grease. What is the specifications for metric grease?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Great, now you tell us that the grease fitting is metric! I am now on the hunt for a metric grease gun and metric grease. What is the specifications for metric grease?
Both Milwaukee & DeWalt have metric grease guns available.
I have a dual feature DeWalt gun,....it fits BOTH types of zerks:)!

• Love
  • Haha

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I rebuilt 2 of the 4 pins on my BX23S stabilizers today. They are 1/8-27 Zerks ! BH is made in Georgia ,so Imperial dimensions.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
No reason to know if the existing is metric or standard. No need for easy-outs.

Redrill and retap new holes for zerks you have on hand.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It's not rocket science, my friends. it's getting grease into a swing fitting.

Just drill a new hole and then tap it to the zerk size you want.

The previous zerk holes will only help.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Left hand drill bits are the cats axx for this job!

• Love

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I rebuilt 2 of the 4 pins on my BX23S stabilizers today. They are 1/8-27 Zerks ! BH is made in Georgia ,so Imperial dimensions.
Is that Georgia as in one of the US states or in Georgia Canada? Imperial dimensions would most likely be Canadian measurements.

GF&D Systems - your one-stop supplier for grease fittings and accessories

American Pipe Threads
Pipe Threads (PTF) are larger in diameter than most UNF or SAE-LT threads and also provide additional strength. PTF threads have a taper like SAE-LT threads to provide a leakproof installation. These threads are designated by nominal pipe diameter.

The 1/8 PTF thread is about 3/8" in diameter, and the 1/4 PTF thread is about 1/2" in diameter. A tapped hole is required for installation. PTF fittings are used most often in construction and in the agricultural industry where heavy machinery is required.

Maximum Pressure is 8,000 PSI. All zinc dichromate fittings minimum 72 hours to red rust. All zinc fittings case hardened to Vickers HV1 or 83 min Rockwell 15N. All stainless steel fittings are type 303 stainless.

All PTF type threads are variants of the Dryseal American Standard Taper Pipe Threads (NPTF), which are designed to provide a leak-proof seal without the use of a thread sealant.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
Looks like I'm in the minority here; I'd replace those instead of reusing even if they were expensive.
That's basically a bearing surface. The holes they go in are rotating around the pin in use. The unevenness will wear the hole faster, even with grease.
To me something like that is an automatic replacement.

Relatively easy to drill a new hole to the grease galley if it's along the shaft. Much more difficult if you're drilling into the end.
Not to mention grease fittings usually (always?) have very short tapered threads. Tapping them can be a pain even if you're experienced.
Unless the fitting is really in there hard it's usually easier to remove the broken one and reuse the existing hole.

Left hand drill bits are the cats axx for this job!
Yup! LH drill bits and wax (crayons/canning wax) are often forgotten essential tools.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Looks like I'm in the minority here; I'd replace those instead of reusing even if they were expensive.
That's basically a bearing surface. The holes they go in are rotating around the pin in use. The unevenness will wear the hole faster, even with grease.
To me something like that is an automatic replacement.

Relatively easy to drill a new hole to the grease galley if it's along the shaft. Much more difficult if you're drilling into the end.
Not to mention grease fittings usually (always?) have very short tapered threads. Tapping them can be a pain even if you're experienced.
Unless the fitting is really in there hard it's usually easier to remove the broken one and reuse the existing hole.

Yup! LH drill bits and wax (crayons/canning wax) are often forgotten essential tools.
I appreciate @Soopitup attention to detail.

He or she is right; Loader swing points are a bearing surface.

A small engines main bearings turn at usually greater tham 500 RPM. Revolutions Per Minute.

A loader hinge point might see 500 revolutions in the entire life of the tractor. Or 500 Revolutions Per 10 Years. RPD. Revolutions Per Decade.

Have fun. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I give my Salute to the micro thinkers. 🙂🍻

We probably wouldn't have cell phones if we didn't have micro - thinkers.

Last edited: