Rotella T6 synthetic oil

jwitty

Equipment
Lx2610
Mar 14, 2024
United states
Let’s settle this like men. I’ve seen enough sticks, that I have a pretty good idea what you will see on the inside by looking at it…

So let’s whip it out, show your stick and tell us a little about it. BX guys don’t worry, we’re not looking for the longest one. None of ours holds a candle to Flips any way.

I’ll show mine first

View attachment 125529
Unknown hours on the oil, T6 5w40, gets a yearly oil change this time of year, haven’t done it yet. 550 hrs on the tractor, has been run on rotella since 12 hrs
Do you one better. Picture of my 2004 ram 2500 under the valve cover when doing valve adjustment. 260k+ miles on engine and around 6k miles on the oil at the time. Besides the little bit of oil not able to drain back down, it looks about as clean as an engine with 1000 miles. Only run with northland oil changed ever 7.5k miles. Seeing if my neighbor has his engine ran on rotella that was one that had sludge, but may have been on the phone we ran over with the big loader.
Screenshot_20240402_194703_Gallery.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Never saw that before! Do you think they EVER would pay out no matter the documentation?
Agree with mcmxi

But it's good enough for me to use :p
I very much doubt it. I have no opinion of or experience with Rotella oil but it seems to be a popular brand.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Do you one better. Picture of my 2004 ram 2500 under the valve cover when doing valve adjustment. 260k+ miles on engine and around 6k miles on the oil at the time. Besides the little bit of oil not able to drain back down, it looks about as clean as an engine with 1000 miles. Only run with northland oil changed ever 7.5k miles. Seeing if my neighbor has his engine ran on rotella that was one that had sludge, but may have been on the phone we ran over with the big loader. View attachment 125532
for science sake, I’ll try to present an exhibit on my personal truck…if I can find the pics it’s been a while and there is literally thousands upon thousands of pics on my phone I would have to go through on two phones due to work.

9B5934A8-3620-4F22-A9C2-CC6CBE353E33.jpeg

let me see if I can…

Little history on the truck, 05 F250 with 6.0. Original owner was a CAT engineer,I serviced the truck for a good bit of its life, he only ran rotella t4 in it, every time it was in he always left a bottle in the cup holder and wanted an oil sample. He would take it back and do whatever with it, 5000 mile intervals. I bought the truck hours within him trading it in with 175k miles. At around 220k I had it torn down for some emission improvements since I’m concerned about my carbon footprint, I’m pretty sure I got similar pic to show using rotella.

I personally don’t care what people use 🤣 oil threads are fun

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
In Canada we use Maple Syrup in our engines!!!

YES Maple Syrup.

Works great and causes no harm. Guaranteed. But only the full synthetic Maple Syrup.

See its on the internet so we know its true.

1712111331092.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Moose7060

Equipment
M7060, Farm King PT740, HLA 2500 Snowpusher, LandPride RCR1872, Defender HD9 XT
Oct 14, 2023
bc

YES Maple Syrup.

Works great and causes no harm. Guaranteed. But only the full synthetic Maple Syrup.

View attachment 125540
And boy does the exhaust ever smell sweet!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Do you one better. Picture of my 2004 ram 2500 under the valve cover when doing valve adjustment. 260k+ miles on engine and around 6k miles on the oil at the time. Besides the little bit of oil not able to drain back down, it looks about as clean as an engine with 1000 miles. Only run with northland oil changed ever 7.5k miles. Seeing if my neighbor has his engine ran on rotella that was one that had sludge, but may have been on the phone we ran over with the big loader. View attachment 125532
Ok, I don’t have one under the valve cover, best I got, the oil filter housing 🤷‍♂️

78CACEC2-A8CE-4179-8EEA-0CF0B976F803.jpeg

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
What does it mean on the label saying "15 years or 500K"
That means: If you post that label claim on any race car, regular car, truck, tractor, heavy equipment, motorcycle, ATV, Side by Side, Scooter, lawn mower, diesel fan boys... powered generator, walk behind snow blower, on any online site or forum that focuses on oil lubricated engines...

You will get 15 Years or 500 Thousand replies to it.

I use what the manufacturer recommends on expensive equipment. Or Amsoil.

And junk oil that's on sale for lawn old lawn mowers.

If the vehicle dies and you don't care. Don't care what oil you buy.

If you love the vehicle, buy the best.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I very much doubt it. I have no opinion of or experience with Rotella oil but it seems to be a popular brand.
Same here.

Never used Rotella oil. But i can't argue against it.

It seems that people love it.

But I generally stay away from buying Shell products..

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I just wouldn't use rotella. Seems like whenever an engine is torn down that's on that oil it's full of sludge. It's really an overhyped, overpriced, under performing oil.
I lost a 302 cu. in. V8 in a ‘83 Mercury Grand Marquis after only 30K miles using Pennzoil. It began running rough and barely limped into the driveway…. had to call a wrecker. Ford denied Warranty…because of “sludge”…. which I personally witnessed when I went to the dealer to see what they were talking about. The “sludge” was all up in the valve-train covers and in the bottom of the pan about 2-inches thick. They flushed the engine and installed Genuine Ford Motorcraft oil….
….(Ex-wife left me for her boyfriend a month later.….. so I gave her that car.)….and the timing chain and cam-gear disintegrated 200 miles later. (Phenolic gear.)

Just to show how happy I was she was his problem now….
I allowed my favorite shop to install new steel gear and chain and change the oil pump…and flush the engine again.… and let her pay my CC-charge in payments.)

I have never used Pennzoil motor oil since.

Switched to another SOPUS product…. SuperTech (which is QS re-branded by WalMart)…and never had another problem in ANY car or truck.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I lost a 302 cu. in. V8 in a ‘83 Mercury Grand Marquis after only 30K miles using Pennzoil. It began running rough and barely limped into the driveway…. had to call a wrecker. Ford denied Warranty…because of “sludge”…. which I personally witnessed when I went to the dealer to see what they were talking about. The “sludge” was all up in the valve-train covers and in the bottom of the pan about 2-inches thick. They flushed the engine and installed Genuine Ford Motorcraft oil….
….(Ex-wife left me for her boyfriend a month later.….. so I gave her that car.)….and the timing chain and cam-gear disintegrated 200 miles later. (Phenolic gear.)

Just to show how happy I was she was his problem now….
I allowed my favorite shop to install new steel gear and chain and change the oil pump…and flush the engine again.… and let her pay my CC-charge in payments.)

I have never used Pennzoil motor oil since.

Switched to another SOPUS product…. SuperTech (which is QS re-branded by WalMart)…and never had another problem in ANY car or truck.
Good story.

But you might be surprised to see the changes in technology offered by each brand. Related not to brand, but to specifications.

In the 70's and 80's, Pennzoil turned black after a few hundred miles. But other brands still looked new on the dipstick after the same mileage. So, I dumped Pennzoil and then ran Valvoline, Slick 50, Mobil One, and anything but Pennzoil or Quaker State.

In the past several years, however: I learned that it wasn't so much the oil brand, but the specs of each oil type. The manufacturer, Dodge, recommended Pennzoil Ultra-Platinum in my Challenger 392 Scat Pack. That is what I use. I've been running it for 7 years. Sometimes hard. With great success. And that engine runs fast and needs quality oil. Crazy fast.

And, after watching Project Farm's tests on YT, I see why the Pennzoil Ultra Plat is a good oil. the rest of their line is so so.

I'm a fan of Amsoil too. But my history with them isn't decades. Just a few years. So my trust is good but my experience with it is limited. With Amsoil.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I just wouldn't use rotella. Seems like whenever an engine is torn down that's on that oil it's full of sludge. It's really an overhyped, overpriced, under performing oil.
Just because you have a OPINION on a product being bad does not make it fact.
So there is no need for someone else to have to back up their Opinion that they think it's fine.

This is why oil threads are pointless!

And it's been noted by several, that you are 2 weeks and 16 posts in and you've already pushed a few buttons. :unsure:
I'm finding it comical that you choose to pick on the 2 MODERATORS of this forum. 👍 😁

Wanna go at the third just to round things out? 🥴

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
In the late ‘70s/early 80s I flew for a company “Agency Records Control” . (They did Insurance Agency accounting on tape-drive computers.) I flew the company plane which was a Hawker Jet painted in the CEO’s favorite colors.. overall While with accent stripes in Sky Blue and Gloss Black. The tail-number was 21AR because the parent company plane was 20HF the year of birth and initials of the “Big Guy” …. and my boss was CEO of the subsidiary company “Agency Records”…and he wanted to “suck-up” to the parent-company Chairman…so he selected the next integer of “21” anyway….this’ll make sense shortly…

I was staying overnight in the Nashville, TN Hilton and had previously purchased a ‘78 F150 Ranger Lariat….and I decided to use an oil which came out of the can…yes…oil was in cans back then… it poured out pure BLACK when new…because it was ARCO-Graphite brand of oil.…a new product on the market. It had graphite suspended in the oil and promised super duper lubrication, longevity, and a great sex life among other things. (NorthwoodsLife comment on black oil made me remember this event)

Anyway, at the hotel breakfast table … I overheard a conversation at the adjacent table… It was an Atlantic Richfield sales rep trying to up-sale the local oil distributor on his products. I eventually offered my experience with the ARCO-Graphite product…. Praising it…because after the first thousand miles…I changed the factory oil to ARCO-Graphite…and about 500 miles later I had to reduce the idle speed about 50 rpm to keep the truck from trying to roll-away when sitting at traffic lights.
About another 100 miles I had to do it again…. IN fact, I had to reduce the idle speed of that engine Three times…because it kept creeping higher and higher… I was CERTAIN it was a combination of new engine break-in Complimented by that Super Duper Friction-Reducing ARCO-Graphite Motor Oil!
I offered all this to the two guys at the next table….and the local oil distributor was so impressed by my testimonial…. he promised the Atlantic Richfield guy he’d make a Big Order of the stuff to distribute in the Nashville area.

I paid my hotel bill and got on the hotel courtesy van for the ride to the airport for my workday.
My copilot was already finished with his walk-around the airplane and asked if I was ready to have it pulled up front of the passenger-lounge to be ready when the “boss” arrived. I said “yes”…and when it was properly chocked …. I walked out with a cup of coffee to prepare the cockpit and start the APU, obtain a clearance, etc etc….

After those preparations… I stepped back off the plane….and only a few steps away Ran Into that Local Oil Distributor walking out to his little Cessna. I nodded at him…he nodded back….then his eyes drifted toward the jet I was clearly operating…to see a Blue/Black/White corporate jet with the tail number which Ended in “AR”.… He then gave me a rolling eyes :rolleyes: look…as-if to acknowledge He had-Been HAD …. by a “shill” at the next breakfast table.

:ROFLMAO: He wouldn’t even give me time to explain that I DID NOT FLY for ATLANTIC-RICHFIELD. 😮🤐

Last edited:
  • Haha

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I don't have a dog in this fight, mostly cause I don't care if someone uses Mazola peanut oil in their truck.

I have been using Rotella T-3 since I bought my first Cummins powered truck in 2003.

Why did I start using Rotella?

The reason is simple, the "crusty old mechanic" I worked with at the time said thats what I should use.......And that old bastard knew a lot.

I currently have 260K on my daily driver and I have never had an oil related problem. Is that science? No just anecdotal.

Is Valvoline or Amsoil or Penzoil better? Could be......but I think the ratings on the bottle have much more of an impact on oil performance and protection than the name on the bottle, and most oils produced today meet the manufacturers specs.

Is one of them better than the other? Possibly, but most people will never put enough miles on a vehicle to find out.

And trust this: I am betting that my truck will most likely "rust out" due to the salt on Michigan roads, LONG before the motor give up the ghost.

But I do enjoy reading these posts......so carry on men!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
In the late ‘70s/early 80s I flew for a company “Agency Records Control” . (They did Insurance Agency accounting on tape-drive computers.) I flew the company plane which was a Hawker Jet painted in the CEO’s favorite colors.. overall While with accent stripes in Sky Blue and Gloss Black. The tail-number was 21AR because the parent company plane was 20HF the year of birth and initials of the “Big Guy” …. and my boss was CEO of the subsidiary company “Agency Records”…and he wanted to “suck-up” to the parent-company Chairman…so he selected the next integer of “21” anyway….this’ll make sense shortly…

I was staying overnight in the Nashville, TN Hilton and had previously purchased a ‘78 F150 Ranger Lariat….and I decided to use an oil which came out of the can…yes…oil was in cans back then… it poured out pure BLACK when new…because it was ARCO-Graphite brand of oil.…a new product on the market. It had graphite suspended in the oil and promised super duper lubrication, longevity, and a great sex life among other things. (NorthwoodsLife comment on black oil made me remember this event)

Anyway, at the hotel breakfast table … I overheard a conversation at the adjacent table… It was an Atlantic Richfield sales rep trying to up-sale the local oil distributor on his products. I eventually offered my experience with the ARCO-Graphite product…. Praising it…because after the first thousand miles…I changed the factory oil to ARCO-Graphite…and about 500 miles later I had to reduce the idle speed about 50 rpm to keep the truck from trying to roll-away when sitting at traffic lights.
About another 100 miles I had to do it again…. IN fact, I had to reduce the idle speed of that engine Three times…because it kept creeping higher and higher… I was CERTAIN it was a combination of new engine break-in Complimented by that Super Duper Friction-Reducing ARCO-Graphite Motor Oil!
I offered all this to the two guys at the next table….and the local oil distributor was so impressed by my testimonial…. he promised the Atlantic Richfield guy he’d make a Big Order of the stuff to distribute in the Nashville area.

I paid my hotel bill and got on the hotel courtesy van for the ride to the airport for my workday.
My copilot was already finished with his walk-around the airplane and asked if I was ready to have it pulled up front of the passenger-lounge to be ready when the “boss” arrived. I said “yes”…and when it was properly chocked …. I walked out with a cup of coffee to prepare the cockpit and start the APU, obtain a clearance, etc etc….

After those preparations… I stepped back off the plane….and only a few steps away Ran Into that Local Oil Distributor walking out to his little Cessna. I nodded at him…he nodded back….then his eyes drifted toward the jet I was clearly operating…to see a Blue/Black/White corporate jet with the tail number which Ended in “AR”.… He then gave me a rolling eyes :rolleyes: look…as-if to acknowledge He had-Been HAD …. by a “shill” at the next breakfast table.

:ROFLMAO: He wouldn’t even give me time to explain that I DID NOT FLY for ATLANTIC-RICHFIELD. 😮🤐

The 2 jets I hated to work on most were Hawker and Leer......

For some reason, every time I put a wrench on one, something went wrong.

Thats probably because it's a "scientific fact" that Gulfstream's are the best planes out there...;)

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
The 2 jets I hated to work on most were Hawker and Leer......

For some reason, every time I put a wrench on one, something went wrong.

Thats probably because it's a "scientific fact" that Gulfstream's are the best planes out there...;)
You DO Have and use Whitworth Wrenches…right..? :ROFLMAO:

The funniest thing I ever read in a maintenance manual was to “…inspect the fuel tank interior closely using a torch…”

We operated both types…. when the Gulfstream was down for mx…the Hawker was always operational.

The jet I loved to fly most…were Hawkers. I’ve operated all types/models…from 1A to 1000 ….and the most reliable and durable airplane I’ve ever flown was a 1968 3ARA with Viper engines….

Since this is an “oil thread”…it’s appropriate to point out….it had a Total-Loss oil system.
I used to tell training clients who’d never flown early jets…. that Viper was a Two-Stroke….. Fill it with oil and check the fuel level before flight. 😜

(They burned fuel at the same rate …at Idle on the ground…. as high-speed cruise at 41,000 feet.
On most flights we’d taxi-around on one engine….starting the other immediately before take-off.)
To keep the engine-times similar…during landing roll-out we’d shut down the first engine and taxi in on the other.

IMG_20210603_160233309.jpeg

Last edited:

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Not applicable to your application in a tractor.

Irrespective of warranty for automotive operations, you should change the friggin oil when it should be. The labelled service interval means nothing to me.

Due to lack of hours/use, I've stretched my service interval of Rotella T6 5w-40 from 12 months to 16 months or so. I'd never go 5 years.

My Chevy truck takes 0w-20. Of course, full synthetic. I still change it at 5,000 miles or so.

Not going to start another motor oil argument, but the labels don't necessarily tell all for real-life conditions.

Just my opinion.
I have the T6 5W40 in my tractor as well, and in my area which is cold, my tractor starts very easy with this oil. I plan on an oil change once every fall, and it will again be the T6. I like it.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

YES Maple Syrup.

View attachment 125540
Sadly,.....you have been duped!
There is Zero % REAL maple syrup in Aunt Jemima.
Recommend that you go back to T-6 Rotella. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Same here.

Never used Rotella oil. But i can't argue against it.

It seems that people love it.

But I generally stay away from buying Shell products..
"But generally stay away from buying Shell proucts"
Like AeroShell?,..... Known to be one of the very best in the aviation market!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Sadly,.....you have been duped!
There is Zero % REAL maple syrup in Aunt Jemima.
Recommend that you go back to T-6 Rotella. :ROFLMAO:
Since they kicked Aunt Jemima to the curb, I would use 5w-40 on the pancakes instead of buying from a company that had no respect for the lady.

Reactions: 3 users