yup, EVs are soooo great...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada

there's another, Chrysler van, $50K where dealers highly trained techs can't agree on what IS wrong...

tip of the iceberg......

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

there's another, Chrysler van, $50K where dealers highly trained techs can't agree on what IS wrong...

tip of the iceberg......
They should bring it to the USA for repair.
$55,000 CAD = $40,700 USD....a absolute bargain!:ROFLMAO:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it's not unheard of.

When I said "buy a golf cart and use it a while"--in order to "get your feet wet" with electric vehicles, I wasn't lying, but a few of you shook your head and said "you're an idiot".

I knew what I was talking about. I work on them at my day job and my side hustle; along with other EV's.

With golf cars, I buy and sell a few. When I find one for sale, the very first question is "how old are the batteries". If they're under a year old and seller has documentation, and they are good batteries, the value just increased dramatically. However, if they're dead, or old (or old and dead), I have to budget for new batteries and gamble on whether the MCU and motor are any count. A motor can be anywhere from $800 to $4500. MCU from $600 to $2500. Batteries, depends on the car, but typically $900 to $2000 for a set. So it's entirely possible to spend $5000 fixing a golf cart that's worth maybe $3000 on the used market. If it's just batteries, for instance on the Yamaha Drive models (G29, etc), a set of 6 8v batteries is about $2400 if you get good ones. The cart is worth, maybe $3000 on the used market, maybe a little more if it's CLEAN (looking brand new-which is rarer than frog fur). So, potentially a used electric cart with unknown batteries (or no batteries) is worth maybe $200-$300 and that assumes that a buyer is actually willing to buy it, and many (most) aren't.

When we get into EV utility vehicles that are using Li-Fe-Po batteries, the twin battery pack is about $20,000 to replace. The new unit is $30,000 and goes up from there depending on the options. Exactly zero people are willing to spend 20 grand on batteries to fix a 30 grand SxS, so once those batteries are gone, I would imagine that the value is close to zero. I predict this to be the case with cars too, as EV's become more prevalent. CURRENTly (LOL) the LiFePo batteries can be sold, there are buyers in I think Ukraine and other countries that buy them and take them apart, making cordless power tool batteries, and sometimes they use the parts to make drone batteries. But here in the USA, there is currently little to no market for them that I know of. Our battery supplier at work will not take them, they are a liability. Lithium batteries can (and sometimes do) fail in such a way that the BMS (which is built into the battery itself) will lose control over the discharge of the battery-and lithium batteries can discharge thousands of amps, all at once, which most of the time results in a runaway fire that is VERY hard to extinguish. Battery supplier said they have had them do this in their truck, which burned FLA batteries that were on the truck, resulting in the entire truck being a total loss-along with the road it was sitting on being melted due to the extreme heat.

If I have to replace a lithium battery (thankfully it's pretty rare), I can't do anything with them if the manufacturer doesn't want it back. Supplier won't take them, dump won't take them, nobody will take them so the only option I have is to crate it up and put it outside until we can find someone who will take them (even if we have to pay em). I have two boxed up outside as we speak and can't find anyone who'll currently take them.

These are the many challenges facing EV's that people don't talk about. There are a lot more challenges too, we'll work through them, but the first years are going to be a little rough.

also on EV's people often say "instant torque". In theory yes. In actuality, not hardly. Remember the MCU is what controls how much torque the motor makes. MCU=motor control unit. Basically you mash down on the gas pedal wanting that instant torque, if MCU sees no RPM, it will NOT give you instant torque-it's designed to protect the wiring, batteries, and motor from extremely high current and thus heat. Since I do SxS's and such, I can tell you that one SxS, if you have it in eco mode (which is where it should be all the time for the regen function to work), if you pull up to a 8" dia log laying on the trail, with a gas burner you just put it in low and climb over. With the EV unit, it will NOT climb over it if you come to a stop up against the log. The MCU protects how much current can go to the motor, so you get a little torque initially but if it doesn't see motor RPM or vehicle speed, it cuts the current and you sit still. You kinda have to back up a little, shift to low, and them get a little bit of a run at it. Frustrating but it is what it is. I'm sure someone will make a programmer for them to help with this but I can also guarantee you that motor failures and such won't be too far behind. OEM's have to protect their stuff, aftermarket doesn't have that kind of warranty so they couldn't care less about the motor and wiring. Just because you mash down on the gas pedal doesn't mean anything-it only means you're asking the MCU for torque, whether or not you actually get it is up to the MCU's programming. and one other note...with electric motors, the armatures have segments. If the motor is between segments while stopped, sometimes you will get no movement until the motor turns just a hair. Doesn't happen often but it does happen, and generally speaking, the cheaper the motor the more likely this is to happen.

Instant torque? Yeah I did a golf cart once where I could put all the amperage and all the voltage to the motor all at once. Remember I'm a drag racer and I "play" with things. It sheared the bolts off that hold the motor housing to the transaxle. Repaired that and the next time it ate all the splines right out of the motor armature. That's why the MCU controls the torque.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
it's not unheard of.

When I said "buy a golf cart and use it a while"--in order to "get your feet wet" with electric vehicles, I wasn't lying, but a few of you shook your head and said "you're an idiot".

I knew what I was talking about. I work on them at my day job and my side hustle; along with other EV's.

With golf cars, I buy and sell a few. When I find one for sale, the very first question is "how old are the batteries". If they're under a year old and seller has documentation, and they are good batteries, the value just increased dramatically. However, if they're dead, or old (or old and dead), I have to budget for new batteries and gamble on whether the MCU and motor are any count. A motor can be anywhere from $800 to $4500. MCU from $600 to $2500. Batteries, depends on the car, but typically $900 to $2000 for a set. So it's entirely possible to spend $5000 fixing a golf cart that's worth maybe $3000 on the used market. If it's just batteries, for instance on the Yamaha Drive models (G29, etc), a set of 6 8v batteries is about $2400 if you get good ones. The cart is worth, maybe $3000 on the used market, maybe a little more if it's CLEAN (looking brand new-which is rarer than frog fur). So, potentially a used electric cart with unknown batteries (or no batteries) is worth maybe $200-$300 and that assumes that a buyer is actually willing to buy it, and many (most) aren't.

When we get into EV utility vehicles that are using Li-Fe-Po batteries, the twin battery pack is about $20,000 to replace. The new unit is $30,000 and goes up from there depending on the options. Exactly zero people are willing to spend 20 grand on batteries to fix a 30 grand SxS, so once those batteries are gone, I would imagine that the value is close to zero. I predict this to be the case with cars too, as EV's become more prevalent. CURRENTly (LOL) the LiFePo batteries can be sold, there are buyers in I think Ukraine and other countries that buy them and take them apart, making cordless power tool batteries, and sometimes they use the parts to make drone batteries. But here in the USA, there is currently little to no market for them that I know of. Our battery supplier at work will not take them, they are a liability. Lithium batteries can (and sometimes do) fail in such a way that the BMS (which is built into the battery itself) will lose control over the discharge of the battery-and lithium batteries can discharge thousands of amps, all at once, which most of the time results in a runaway fire that is VERY hard to extinguish. Battery supplier said they have had them do this in their truck, which burned FLA batteries that were on the truck, resulting in the entire truck being a total loss-along with the road it was sitting on being melted due to the extreme heat.

If I have to replace a lithium battery (thankfully it's pretty rare), I can't do anything with them if the manufacturer doesn't want it back. Supplier won't take them, dump won't take them, nobody will take them so the only option I have is to crate it up and put it outside until we can find someone who will take them (even if we have to pay em). I have two boxed up outside as we speak and can't find anyone who'll currently take them.

These are the many challenges facing EV's that people don't talk about. There are a lot more challenges too, we'll work through them, but the first years are going to be a little rough.

also on EV's people often say "instant torque". In theory yes. In actuality, not hardly. Remember the MCU is what controls how much torque the motor makes. MCU=motor control unit. Basically you mash down on the gas pedal wanting that instant torque, if MCU sees no RPM, it will NOT give you instant torque-it's designed to protect the wiring, batteries, and motor from extremely high current and thus heat. Since I do SxS's and such, I can tell you that one SxS, if you have it in eco mode (which is where it should be all the time for the regen function to work), if you pull up to a 8" dia log laying on the trail, with a gas burner you just put it in low and climb over. With the EV unit, it will NOT climb over it if you come to a stop up against the log. The MCU protects how much current can go to the motor, so you get a little torque initially but if it doesn't see motor RPM or vehicle speed, it cuts the current and you sit still. You kinda have to back up a little, shift to low, and them get a little bit of a run at it. Frustrating but it is what it is. I'm sure someone will make a programmer for them to help with this but I can also guarantee you that motor failures and such won't be too far behind. OEM's have to protect their stuff, aftermarket doesn't have that kind of warranty so they couldn't care less about the motor and wiring. Just because you mash down on the gas pedal doesn't mean anything-it only means you're asking the MCU for torque, whether or not you actually get it is up to the MCU's programming. and one other note...with electric motors, the armatures have segments. If the motor is between segments while stopped, sometimes you will get no movement until the motor turns just a hair. Doesn't happen often but it does happen, and generally speaking, the cheaper the motor the more likely this is to happen.

Instant torque? Yeah I did a golf cart once where I could put all the amperage and all the voltage to the motor all at once. Remember I'm a drag racer and I "play" with things. It sheared the bolts off that hold the motor housing to the transaxle. Repaired that and the next time it ate all the splines right out of the motor armature. That's why the MCU controls the torque.
I bought a used 2006 "Club Car" with 4- four year old, 12V batteries, for $2,300.
I do not play golf!
At age 83, it is simply my get around the property transportation.

I assumed then, that the batteries might have 2 years remaining.
They lasted for almost 3 years.
Last year I replaced the 4 Trojan (lead acid) batteries with 4 new (lead acid) Trojans......$1150, with core trade in.

My Club Car sits all Winter, but has a 48v maintenance charger.
I check the water level regularly (not when stored, on maint. chgr.)
Am thinking 7 year life for the batteries,....... not so sure about ME!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Seems you can add electric tractors to that same category of being "sooooo great". lol. Maybe some day, but for now, IMHO , Ev's are one of the biggest boondoggles ever pushed on a gullible population.

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Let’s take my pickup truck…. at 200K miles…. has burned thru 350 fillups of a 25 gal fuel tank…at $2.80/gal. = $24,500 worth of fuel. If an EV needs a battery-bank at $20K….. the difference will be how much has been paid for the re-charges.

(that was calculated at 20 mpg …which it has never achieved. It actually averages about 15.)

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I checked local Ford dealership online to check inventory of pickup trucks.

Quite a few trucks (10-12?) - bet 75% were Lightning.

Guess indicative of lack of demand for the EV’s in rural upstate New York.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
It is a non issue. The structure isn't set up for 100 percent EVs.
And, Less carbon footprint... is gasoline power.
Gore was wrong.
Got a brother who bought a Tesla. He has to plan his travels carefully.

I might buy a hybrid, gas-electric someday. But that is doubtfull. But 100 percent electric... no way.

At least with my cordless Milwaukee tools I can just swap the battery .. EV's, no way.

Last edited:

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
At least with my cordless Milwaukee tools I can just swap the battery .. EV's, no way.
I think eventually that's how EVs will have to evolve. Standardize the batteries, and instead of having to stop for several hours to recharge you'll pull in to a battery swapping station where there will be infrastructure to swap out the batteries in a couple minutes.

wp6529

Equipment
B7100DT
Oct 31, 2023
TX
I think eventually that's how EVs will have to evolve. Standardize the batteries, and instead of having to stop for several hours to recharge you'll pull in to a battery swapping station where there will be infrastructure to swap out the batteries in a couple minutes.
They already have evolved that way, just not in the US yet. I've mentioned many times that pack-swap EV and ownership of a pack in a pool much the same as we do for welding gas cylinders will solve many of the current EV issues.

As was somewhat noted above, people do not think to calculate the lifecycle cost of the vehicle when they get to the OMFG! $20,000 for a new battery. In reality if they did the math and compared that recharging cost vs. comparable gas cost over the same miles driven they might see the 100,000 mile cost isn't that far apart. Owning a pack in a pool where you never see the pack replacement cost in one big hit would go a long way towards resolving that issue for folks who don't plan for future maintenance costs.

A quick calculation says I've probably put about $35,000 worth of diesel through my F350 in the past 150,000 miles.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think if your going to post videos of BAD EV's and how bad electric is, you should at least watch the videos and determine what is true and not just pass them off as "proof" of bad EV vehicles.
With the two video's showing "proof" of bad EV's:
One had Physical damage to the battery pack which would be the same kinds of damage if a Combustion vehicle was bottomed out and damaged the oil pan or the transmission.
The second EV had transmission issues, I'm pretty sure combustion vehicles have transmission issue too.

js312

Equipment
BX1880, LA344S, 48" MMM
Jan 28, 2024
New England
I checked local Ford dealership online to check inventory of pickup trucks.

Quite a few trucks (10-12?) - bet 75% were Lightning.

Guess indicative of lack of demand for the EV’s in rural upstate New York.
I bought an F150 PowerBoost (hybrid) this winter. I saw the same thing - lots of Lightnings, some regular gas trucks, very few hybrids.

Anyway, so far I'm super impressed with this truck. The power is incredible - 570 ft lbs of torque. The fuel economy is averaging about 1.5 MPG better than my last 3.5 EcoBoost (same engine, not hybrid) - but I'm anxious to see how it does as weather gets warmer. It has an onboard generator, which I could see being a huge lure for some people. For me, not as much, but I could run my pellet stove and refrigerator off the truck in a pinch if I needed to which is a nice perk.

I really think hybrids are still the way to go for now. I know people who have all electric and they have to carefully plan trips to be able to find chargers and have the time to charge. I'll hold off until range is better and charging stations are more plentiful. I can get 700+ miles to a tank on both this F-150 and my last one - it's really tough to walk away from that.

As someone else mentioned (battery tools), I am all electric/battery for my tools and some lawn equipment now. I have all Makita stuff and have their 36v (takes two 18v LXT batteries) push mower, weedwacker (with other attachments), chain saw, and leaf blower. It all works great for my small amount of land. It's also nice that the only thing I really need to maintain is the tractor at this point - everything else is basically just pop a battery in it and go. No air filters, oil changes, spark plugs, etc. I was already invested in Makita's 18v platform, so the lawn equipment made sense to me to stick with just one type of power tool battery. I have 10 Makita batteries and two dual-bay chargers in the garage.

Similar to octane levels in fuel I could see having a few tiers of battery packs to swap out.

One for compact cars / small sedans
A slightly larger one for crossovers, large sedans, small pickups
A larger one for larger SUVs, cargo vans, and 1/2 ton trucks

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I posted the Chrysler link as $55K for repair on ANY vehicle was a shocker to me ! The really, really BAD part is that two dealerships highly trained mechanics came up with TWO different diagnosis. You'd think factory training would be the same for all employees and well, this 'electric stuff' is kind of new ( 7 year old van) with lots of 'computers'. One says battery no good, other says it's fine. HELLO ? HOW can that be ?? Dang if he'd dragged it to a THIRD Chrysler dealership would he get a THIRD diagnosis ? It's not like you can go anywhere OTHER than the dealer for service,let alone work on EVs.
I'm pretty sure you can drain the oil out a gas engine and it NOT cost $55K to replace the engine.
I never saw the 'damage' under the Ionic, but have to wonder why there aren't skid plates though.
Know someone who found out that just have light marks on the 'frame' of a Tesla will void the battery warranty. Kid put jack there ,lightly up,forgot the special rubber, removed jack,put rubber in ,ZERO real damage but the 'circular scuff' was 'damage'..
Hay IF there was an EV that met my requirements for driving as cheap as gas, I'm all in. The basics, I drive less than 3000 miles a year, tow a 7K trailer 20-30 times a year, get fillups in 10 minutes, 2 door, short box pickup,like ice cold A/C and HOT defrosters.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I read a lot of the complaints, naysaying and doom and gloom about EVs and I think most of those people are missing the fact that just like many other new technologies, EVs are still in what I would refer to as the Alpha stage of development. They are little more than a decade old at this point. To put it in perspective, just how much did IC engines and cars advance in the first couple of decades? Not very much. The same can be said for many things we take for granted in daily life. Advances in battery and motor design will doubtlessly make today's EVs look like model Ts by comparison, so don't get your panties all in a twist and swear it's all an evil government conspiracy to make IC vehicles immediately obsolete and outlawed. IC vehicles are going to be around for a long time, as some applications simply will be difficult to replace IC power with electrical power, like in remote areas where no or insufficient electrical power is available.
So, as I see it, if you want to buy an EV, great, but if you don't then don't and stop condemning, whining and complaining about them unless you have first hand knowledge by having owing one.
It's no different than owning a tractor, only those who own, repair or operate them can provide legitimate criticisms of them. The rest are no more than trolls that love to flap their figurative jowls to get attention. That's why I like the ignore feature on these types of forums, I don't feel my time is worth reading the drivel they post.

End of rant.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

This isn’t directly related to ev…but take it as you will…

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I bought a used 2006 "Club Car" with 4- four year old, 12V batteries, for $2,300.
I do not play golf!
At age 83, it is simply my get around the property transportation.

I assumed then, that the batteries might have 2 years remaining.
They lasted for almost 3 years.
Last year I replaced the 4 Trojan (lead acid) batteries with 4 new (lead acid) Trojans......$1150, with core trade in.

My Club Car sits all Winter, but has a 48v maintenance charger.
I check the water level regularly (not when stored, on maint. chgr.)
Am thinking 7 year life for the batteries,....... not so sure about ME!
The 12v batteries are usually cheaper. 8V and 6V are "usually" more. You only have 4 12v, but 6 8v or 8 6v for a 48v system. 8 6v gives more capacity, runs longer. 6 8v is the most common setup and FLA is the least expensive. There are AGM's too, and you can also get Lithium conversion$$$$

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I read a lot of the complaints, naysaying and doom and gloom about EVs and I think most of those people are missing the fact that just like many other new technologies, EVs are still in what I would refer to as the Alpha stage of development. They are little more than a decade old at this point. To put it in perspective, just how much did IC engines and cars advance in the first couple of decades? Not very much. The same can be said for many things we take for granted in daily life. Advances in battery and motor design will doubtlessly make today's EVs look like model Ts by comparison, so don't get your panties all in a twist and swear it's all an evil government conspiracy to make IC vehicles immediately obsolete and outlawed. IC vehicles are going to be around for a long time, as some applications simply will be difficult to replace IC power with electrical power, like in remote areas where no or insufficient electrical power is available.
So, as I see it, if you want to buy an EV, great, but if you don't then don't and stop condemning, whining and complaining about them unless you have first hand knowledge by having owing one.
It's no different than owning a tractor, only those who own, repair or operate them can provide legitimate criticisms of them. The rest are no more than trolls that love to flap their figurative jowls to get attention. That's why I like the ignore feature on these types of forums, I don't feel my time is worth reading the drivel they post.

End of rant.

They've been around for a very long time. A lot longer than 10 years. They were never hot sellers. They were also stricken with the same problems that golf cars have. NO place to charge, range anxiety, cost to repair/replace, etc. and until lately, lack of performance. In short, we have had over 100 years to perfect the "technology" but in the end, development is a result of projected sales, and if they aren't gonna be hot sellers, the manufacturers won't continue developing them. Until the King forces them to.

and I have firsthand experience with them, to which I've shared a little of, but on the other side of the counter. Nobody ever thinks about that stuff until it's time to fix, then they throw a fit about how much it costs. So my "job" is to enlighten folks of the negatives that come along with the positives. In short, EV's are really just trading one set of problems for others. For some folks those issues are gonna be new. They're not, at least not in my case.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
We know that EVs work for some people. The issue is that some in govt act like they work for everyone.

They might work eventually, but a lot of growing pains still to go. There are a lot of issues to be worked out to be mainstream. On the other hand, hybrid technology is already 20 years old and is proven.

The govt EV response is not a lot different than other "forced" govt policies. For example, most "emissions" changes since the 70s produced substandard vehicles for decades.

Eventually, it will probably work out. But, there is such a huge number of issues to solve that are being suppressed. I have to guess it's due to some people in govt who have invested heavily in EV.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
There’s nothing new about “hybrid” either…. Internall-combustion/Electric submarines have been around as long as cars, and are still being mfr’d in modern times.
Diesel/Electric is the primary form of locomotion on railroads.