General Lee's been hit!!!!!!! *******Updated with new Poll**********

I think that when RWS pulls that tube.........(I ,RWS, vow NOT to weld/braze it & I am not voting)

• The tube will be cracked somewhere and he has to replace it.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The tube will be bent, but he will bend it back, try to use use it. And it will NOT leak.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • The tube will be bent, but he will bend it back, try to use use it. BUT it WILL leak.

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Well I got some phone calls last night from my SIL and sister, so my weekend (and my hoist) just filled up rather quickly.

Looks like option 7 is the correct answer

Option 7: "RWS will be running around like a chicken with his head cut off this weekend working on peoples cars, so he is going to just order the damn tube and be done with it."
Looks a bit like a variant of Option 6 with no admission you’ve already conceptualized a skid plate. :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
How about option 8 where the pipe is removed completely and it's set up to squirt the oil across the gap in a laminar flow jet.

• Haha

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Ok fellas, I got the replacement tube and o-rings in hand.

The tube ends where the o-rings go are not what I expected to see.

I would have expected that the o-rings each sit in their respective groove, but there are no grooves for the o-rings to sit in.

I suspect it goes together as in pic 2, but I am just making sure that I do not have a defective part (it happens I suppose).

Furthermore, I expect that when I remove the original that I need to make sure that I recover 4 o-rings total????

Is that correct?

20240308_091637[1].jpg

20240308_091715[1].jpg

Last edited:

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
2 Is better than one? lol

I've never seen 2 O rings together like that ( in separate grooves, yes, "loose", no), but I guess there's always a first time.

The only time I regret buying something new vs trying to "fix" the old one is while I'm spending the money.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
2 Is better than one? lol

I've never seen 2 O rings together like that ( in separate grooves, yes, "loose", no), but I guess there's always a first time.

The only time I regret buying something new vs trying to "fix" the old one is while I'm spending the money.
Yep, that's exactly why I asked. I have never seen a set up like it either.

I fully expected to see the standard, double groove with 2 o-ring, set up.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

I would have expected that the o-rings each sit in their respective groove, but there are no grooves for the o-rings to sit in.

I suspect it goes together as in pic 2, but I am just making sure that I do not have a defective part (it happens I suppose).

Furthermore, I expect that when I remove the original that I need to make sure that I recover 4 o-rings total.

Is that correct?

View attachment 123858

View attachment 123859
I question if two "O" rings are actually correct for that installation.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I'm thinking no.

I've seen o-rings backed up by a thin plastic washer.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Furthermore, I expect that when I remove the original that I need to make sure that I recover 4 o-rings total????

Is that correct?

View attachment 123858

View attachment 123859
Are there grooves in the housings? If so, put the o-rings in first, then oil and slide the tube in. I would remove the paint off the tube ends.

Last edited:

Dustball

Equipment
2016 B2650HSDC
Sep 15, 2023
Hudson, WI
If I had to guess, this is probably how the hole features are. Larger counter bore is for the o-rings to sit in, smaller counter bore is for the pipe itself and through hole for the fluid. The depth of the larger counter bore is just a bit less than the combined thickness of the two o-rings so that the o-rings expand slightly when compressed by the flange.

1709921079606.png

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Are there grooves in the housings? If so, put the o-rings in first, then oil and slide the tube in. I would remove the paint off the tube ends.
I have not removed it yet, so I don't know if there are grooves in the bore or not.

That would seem like a very expensive way to do things, but I guess it's possible.

One thing that I am trying to avoid is removing it, and then having fluid come pouring out while I am sitting there with my "thumb in my ass" trying to figure it out as I go.

My current plan is to "cold swap" them; So in my minds eye, I would like to have the tube set up with the proper o-ring configuration and lubed, so I can undo the 2 retaining bolts and swap them right quick to minimize fluid loss.

But if there are 2 o-rings on each side, I need to be make sure I recover them all, before I jam the tube in, hence stuffing "3 o-rings" into a "2 o-ring hole".

It's probably taking me longer to type this than it will to actually do it...... 😂

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
If I had to guess, this is probably how the hole features are. Larger counter bore is for the o-rings to sit in, smaller counter bore is for the pipe itself and through hole for the fluid. The depth of the larger counter bore is just a bit less than the combined thickness of the two o-rings so that the o-rings expand slightly when compressed by the flange.

View attachment 123878
Yes sir, I agree, that would make sense.

I have just never seen a set up like that before.

I have, of course, seen a single "compression" o-ring set up like you described, hundreds, or possibly thousands of times, and if the parts catalog would have only showed 1 o-ring per side, I would not have questioned it at all.

The "Double Whopper" set up has my "Spidey Senses" tingling though..........

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I have not removed it yet, so I don't know if there are grooves in the bore or not.

That would seem like a very expensive way to do things, but I guess it's possible.

One thing that I am trying to avoid is removing it, and then having fluid come pouring out while I am sitting there with my "thumb in my ass" trying to figure it out as I go.

My current plan is to "cold swap" them; So in my minds eye, I would like to have the tube set up with the proper o-ring configuration and lubed, so I can undo the 2 retaining bolts and swap them right quick to minimize fluid loss.

But if there are 2 o-rings on each side, I need to be make sure I recover them all, before I jam the tube in, hence stuffing "3 o-rings" into a "2 o-ring hole".

It's probably taking me longer to type this than it will to actually do it...... 😂
If you don't want to drain it, I'd use the shop vac trick and try not to trip on the cord.
My L35 had a groove rolled in that tube, and one o-ring.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Is that correct?

View attachment 123858

View attachment 123859
Yes it takes 2 o-rings on each end.
No there is not supposed to be an indent in the tube.
DRAIN it, and then just re use the fluid.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Draining it sound like the way to go for me also over cold snapping it.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Draining it sound like the way to go for me also over cold snapping it.
You guys have no adventure in you. I'd totally try to do it without draining it. It'd be the wrong thing to do, it'd make a mess, and I'd wish I'd drained it. But I'd do it anyway.

• Haha

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I’d be more concerned with a piece of something going down it when snapping it off over a mess. With my luck I’d drain it and still make the mess.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys have no adventure in you. I'd totally try to do it without draining it. It'd be the wrong thing to do, it'd make a mess, and I'd wish I'd drained it. But I'd do it anyway.

Hey, I agree. I'd stick a funnel in the hyd fill hole and put the hose to a shop vac in the funnel and tape it so it all stays there. Pull the part and replace it!