Loose push rod

Jeepyweepy

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2024
NC
Hi all, a little background… mowing a field with my BX2370 and the tractor suddenly quit. I could hear the radiator bubble due to over heating. Let it cool and found a plugged screen. When it started, it had no power and pouring white smoke. Assuming head gasket, I began tearing it apart. Once I removed the valve cover , I could see one of the push rods was no longer under the rocker arm. I removed the rocker arm and put it back together in hopes of an easy fix. But.. still running rough and white smoke. Any idea what caused the push rod to pop out like that? Before I pull the head, I thought I would post here and see what you all think the problem may be.
thanks All!!
Bobby

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So you have a 10 year old machine? How many hours on it, what maintenance and when, etc. Just need more clues.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Collapsed lifter, wiped a cam lobe, bent pushrod, sticking valve........could be any of em. Or a combination.

Reactions: 1 users

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Due to overheating something in the head seized. Lifters on your machine are not hydraulic so no issues there. Most likely you will find the cylinder head cracked. Kubota's generally don't blow head gaskets. If it got that hot most likely it will need piston and rings as well. Good luck with your project.

Reactions: 1 user

Kubota Newbie

Equipment
M4500, New Idea Cut-Ditioner, JD 14T Baler, IH "Plow Chief" plows, Oliver Rake
Dec 28, 2010
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Likely that either the valve in question is stuck or that you dropped a seat from overheating.
Make sure the valve is able to move up and down freely.
No? There's your problem. If you can manage to get it unstuck carefully and it's not bent, it might run ok. But it really ought to be replaced.
Yes moves freely? Check the height of that valve compared to others on same tract (intake or exhaust). Is it a little bit shorter? Dropped seat. Will have to be replaced. If you have a way to check compression on that cylinder it would show up as little or no compression in either of those cases.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cracked head!
And it's cracked through whichever valve popped the push rod off.

Jeepyweepy

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2024
NC
Hey, it has 380 hours. Just the routine oil changes etc..
Hi all, a little background… mowing a field with my BX2370 and the tractor suddenly quit. I could hear the radiator bubble due to over heating. Let it cool and found a plugged screen. When it started, it had no power and pouring white smoke. Assuming head gasket, I began tearing it apart. Once I removed the valve cover , I could see one of the push rods was no longer under the rocker arm. I removed the rocker arm and put it back together in hopes of an easy fix. But.. still running rough and white smoke. Any idea what caused the push rod to pop out like that? Before I pull the head, I thought I would post here and see what you all think the problem may be.
thanks All!!
Bobby
thanks guys! Appreciate all the feedback. I’ll pull her apart and share findings…
Bobby

Jeepyweepy

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2024
NC
IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1196.jpeg
IMG_1198.jpeg

Check out the bottom valve. When push rod came out of rocker arm, the tappet fell on top of the lifter. That cylinder was full of water. The metal gasket is pulling apart. Am I safe to assume that’s not normal and just get a new gasket? Push rods are all straight and all valves move freely.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Is the piston coming up to the same height as the other two? That water in there could easily bend a rod

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you find the missing valve cap?
You need to check the head for cracks, take a picture of the bottom especially around the valves.
The head gasket delaminating could be an issue, but they do that sometimes when you pull them.
Coolant could have been trapped in the head when you pulled it and just dumped into that piston.
As others said, you need to check for height of that piston as coolant in a piston will bend the connecting rods and or damage the piston and or rings.

Reactions: 1 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Yeash! Pics of combustion chambers, plz. With detail of the area betwixt the valve hades.

Jeepyweepy

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2024
NC
Did you find the missing valve cap?
You need to check the head for cracks, take a picture of the bottom especially around the valves.
The head gasket delaminating could be an issue, but they do that sometimes when you pull them.
Coolant could have been trapped in the head when you pulled it and just dumped into that piston.
As others said, you need to check for height of that piston as coolant in a piston will bend the connecting rods and or damage the piston and or rings.
Thanks guys!! I did find the cap. No damage. Here is the bottom side..
IMG_1208.jpeg

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
None of the sealing surfaces look good. :(
This looks possible?
1707793087430.png

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ok that looks better.
You really need to resurface the head.
I use a huge piece of sandpaper glued to a piece of very flat hardwood plywood.
Or you could send it to a machine shop to have it done.