Backhoe Owners poll.......

I (state your name) do solemnly swear that I own a backhoe and

• Total voters

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Yeppers, backhoes are nice to have. Over a mile of underground utilities on the hillside farm.
IMG_2759.jpeg
IMG_2424.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
I originally ordered my lx3310 cab with a bh77. As the tractor was being put together the dealer realized a different subframe was needed from what they ordered, due to the cab. And the correct subframe was not readily available. So I ended up taking delivery without the bh77.

I was wondering, how is the backhoe operation with a cab. Is it a little bit of a pain when digging a long trench??? Trying to decide if I should reorder the bh77.

Thanks
This was why I was seriously considering ordering an open station tractor again and putting a Curtis cab on it. The one reason for replacing my B7200 was to have a cab for snow clearing. With the B7200 I was able to reach the steering wheel and controls and move the tractor from the B/H seat.
With the Kubota cab the hoe is mounted a few inches farther back using extenders on the hoe mount so the seat clears the rear window. Reaching the tractor controls is difficult so I have to rely on moving the tractor using the B/H itself. Tractor in neutral and loader bucket just off the ground. And hopefully it steers straight. I enjoy the A/C and the cabs ability to isolate me from yellow jackets and mosquitos but I would have been just fine with the Curtis cab that allowed the easy removal of the doors and rear window when not needed. In the end I would not have saved much by having the Curtis cab installed. Also, resale value had to be considered.
The picture below shows the extenders on the B/H.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
It's a very small percentage of the people who own tractors. Basically, it's statistically insignificant for tractor owners no matter which selection "wins".

I find this poll kind of like asking anyone else who spent a lot of money for something if they like it. Almost all will say yes! Otherwise, they'd have to admit their mistake.

Seriously though, I see backhoes on properties when I drive around. They are almost never attached to a tractor.
Yup...mine is off the tractor most of the time, but when you need it...it's worth it's weight in gold!!!!
I have it sitting on a dolly so it's easy to move around, put on and take off. Takes maybe 15 mins to drop the weight box, remove the 3 point hitch hardware, and put the hoe on.

Reactions: 1 user

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I don’t have a hoe for my m7060. Could I use one yes but enough to justify the cost of adding one probably not. Obviously a sweet addition to any tractor but definitely not a must for all and a waste of money for some. I see a decent amount of them sitting in racks or in storage heck even just sitting beside barns. If I were buying a compact or never used the 3ph then I’d probably go with a tlb. But for my tractor I’d be around the 20k+cad to add a backhoe properly. If I come across a cheap cheap backhoe or something so good I can’t say no id consider that and then make my own subframe or reinforcements but that’s about it. This really comes down to the buyer/users needs and budget on wether or not to buy a backhoe attachment. So many different kinda folks buying tractors for so many different uses and reasons.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I had a BX25TLB for five years and used the backhoe for a few projects. It was definitely nice to have and to be honest I could use it on some projects today. Back in 2016 the backhoe part of the original purchase wasn't too much of a hit.

These days however backhoes are expensive additions to already expensive tractors. Perhaps luckily for me Kubota doesn't offer a backhoe for the MX6000 cab model, and discontinued the backhoe for the M6060/7060. At last quote, I think the M6060/7060 backhoe was up around $25k, maybe more, and that was when they were still "available".

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
There is no question that the purchase price of these toys/tools is high.

I also concur with the sentiment that it is a "personal thing" according to budget, and uses, and whatever.

No one will get an argument from me about that. I agree 100%.

I simply wanted to see how many of us, had "buyers remorse" so to speak.

Some of the articles and videos I see, tend to suggest that it is a "colossal waste of money" because you could rent a mini, or buy your friends a bunch of beer and invite them over, or you'll never use it and you 'll be sad that it's sitting there and now your out 10K, or whatever......

My theory is simply this. If it is such a 'colossal waste of money' to buy a backhoe, as some suggest, I would expect that many more people would be picking B, as opposed to A.

Hell, even the "fence sitters" might actually buy one again.

I just find it interesting, that's all.

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Yup I haven’t looked for a few years either but when I did a few years back a BH with subframe for my 7060 was around the same price as a used compact tlb and way harder to find. It was at that point I quit looking lol.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
........................... and way harder to find. It was at that point I quit looking lol.

I've never looked for a used one, so I can't say one way or the other, but it seems to me that I have heard this before.

However, you make an excellent point; "Why aren't all these 'rubes' (like me), that got 'suckered' into buying a backhoe selling them?"

You would think "most" people would be happy to offload them if they were so sad. No?

06B3030

Equipment
B3030, LA403, BH75, York Rake, Plug Aerator, 6' Rear Mower, Forks, Weight Box
Sep 21, 2015
MA
..."Why aren't all these 'rubes' (like me), that got 'suckered' into buying a backhoe selling them?"
Because the day after you sold it, is when you'd need it, and regret selling it!!!!!!

• Haha

Hkb82

Equipment
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Hard to find a Kubota subframe kit and backhoe from Kubota for my m7060 new. Used market has all kinds of just random backhoes if I were trying to Frankenstein something together. The used part I was saying was a used tlb was around the same cost as a new backhoe plus subframe from the dealer when I was shopping.

If I had a backhoe for my tractor and only used it twice a year I still wouldn’t consider it a waste of money cause I’m aware I didn’t have a real big need for it and likely isn’t gonna get a ton of use. I could use one from time to time though. Not sure who called ya a sucker or rubes but it sure wasn’t me. I love wasting money. Just ask my wife. However 6 years later and only 5 days worth of rentals has me up some cash. Lol I had to
I’m willing to bet the ones with regrets or complaints were talked into it from a good salesman and not something they were initially looking for or ever needing. Anybody that uses their tractor a lot for working I’m sure sees the values of having a backhoe.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Not sure who called ya a sucker or rubes but it sure wasn’t me. I love wasting money. Just ask my wife.
No sir, I did not mean to imply that you did.

I don't think I have seen any videos, or articles that "actually said" that either.

I was just using those terms for "dramatic effect". Just my style of writing I suppose 🍺 :)

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
Renting a machine with a backhoe, or even better, a mini excavator, is always an option, but that means that you have to plan ahead and make sure you finish the job within the rental period. I often have a few projects which I work on a little at a time when I have spare time, and when I feel like doing it, so it's a matter of convenience.

Reactions: 3 users

2001TLB

Equipment
L48TLB, 60" EA SSQA Root Rake Grapple, EA SSQA Fork lift
Nov 14, 2021
Shelton, Washington
VERY nice looking L48 TLB.
It appears that you have 3rd function also!
I have a 2006 L48 TLB with only 261 hours, + hyd thumb, and 3rd function.
A real workhorse!
Fried,

Thanks for the compliment. It's a good machine, but really can't hold a candle to your cream puff! You and I corresponded a while back about your additional hydraulics. You sent me some great pictures of your powered SSQA system and the 3 rear remotes. I really like those features.

Thanks again,

Doug

tbk5

Equipment
L3710, L3010, ZD1211, RTV900xt, GR2100, lots of 3pt equipment
Sep 24, 2013
Central AL
I bought mine (BH7500) with my first Kubota (L3010). I used it a lot at first--site work for barn foundation, removing stumps, the occasional critter burial and so on. It sat for 5+ years so I thought about selling it. Mrs. tbk5 said no--it's paid and may come in handy for other projects. (Little did I know that she authored quite the honey do list.) I am glad I still have it. It is now permanently attached to the totaled tractor that I got running again. This is a timesaver because I had to remove the 3pt linkages for the subframe it uses. (I know, first world problem but hey, time is money.) If I ever wind up replacing the equipment, I would certainly save my pennies for a matching backhoe. I find a use for it every week.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Fried,

Thanks for the compliment. It's a good machine, but really can't hold a candle to your cream puff! You and I corresponded a while back about your additional hydraulics. You sent me some great pictures of your powered SSQA system and the 3 rear remotes. I really like those features.

Thanks again,

Doug
Am having REAL fun now!
Just bought (for a friend) a 2021 M62 with 295 hours.
With HIS $$$$$!
The machine makes me drool.

$63,500 + $1,200 shipping to him.
New M62 as equipped, is now over $90K.
Nothing in this for me,..... but..... the fun of the hunt!

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
However, you make an excellent point; "Why aren't all these 'rubes' (like me), that got 'suckered' into buying a backhoe selling them?"

You would think "most" people would be happy to offload them if they were so sad. No?
That's how I got mine. The seller got it as part of a package with his tractor, never used it, got tired of storing it and put it up for sale at a bargain basement price (by today's standards, probably close to what he paid originally) just to get it out of the way.

That said, I stumbled on a rare find after looking off and on for years.

I voted option 3. There's no question my sons and I have gotten my money's worth out of the purchase. (Mostly my sons.) Underpinning, trenching, stump removal, septic replacement -- all done with the BH playing a starring role. But I'm not sure any -- or even all of us together -- have enough work left to be done that would justify purchasing a replacement BH at today's prices.

So while I am very pleased with the BH so far, and while I still consider the loader to be an essential tractor component, I'm not so sure about the BH. For me. For the future. But neither am I willing to sell the one I have.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's how I got mine. The seller got it as part of a package with his tractor, never used it, got tired of storing it and put it up for sale at a bargain basement price (by today's standards, probably close to what he paid originally) just to get it out of the way.

That said, I stumbled on a rare find after looking off and on for years.

I voted option 3. There's no question my sons and I have gotten my money's worth out of the purchase. (Mostly my sons.) Underpinning, trenching, stump removal, septic replacement -- all done with the BH playing a starring role. But I'm not sure any -- or even all of us together -- have enough work left to be done that would justify purchasing a replacement BH at today's prices.

So while I am very pleased with the BH so far, and while I still consider the loader to be an essential tractor component, I'm not so sure about the BH. For me. For the future. But neither am I willing to sell the one I have.

I have owned two different (10' plus dig) BHs for 37 years in total .
I very rarely use mine.
Would I sell it now?
I was asked that recently......
He11 no!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I voted 1 Bought new in 2011. Just passed 2,000hrs about a month ago. I use the hoe alot
DSCF3262.JPG

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I got ridiculously lucky when i bought my backhoe. I got my b8200 hst 4wd with loader and backhoe for a thousand bucks.. broke down and disassembled of course! But ultimately i spent less than $500 getting it fully operational again, and most of that was just replacing all the hoses on the hoe.

Anyway, id say it’s right behind an FEL in terms of ‘must have’. In my particular situation i even own a pto-driven trencher bar and guess what, every time i hit a giant rock what did i do? Switch to the backhoe! So even if ALL i did was trench and i HAD a trencher i would STILL want the backhoe!

The main thing i would say to anyone else is dont get a 5-6.5ft deth backhoe just because the reach is so short it’s irritating. I plan to build a ‘3rd arm’ to add between the main boom and the dipper arm on my backhoe, along with a diverter or perhaps a pedal valve for it. But that’s just me being weird. For anyone else id say just shoot for a 7.5ft model on a small tractor.

Before i had the backhoe one of my main goals was to BUILD one! So yeah, not having one wasnt going to leave me alone until i had one anyway.. Just do it!!

Reactions: 2 users