I (state your name) do solemnly swear that I own a backhoe and

• Total voters

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I bought my L2501DT new with a BH77 in early 2021. I have had no remorse yet. I made the kubota manual thumb hydraulic, Bought the Bxpanded quick change for it. Made a bolt on piece to make the thumb longer because of the quick change. Made my own root ripper. Made a 7" wide bucket. Today I was working on installing a momentary switch on each handle to open/close the thumb. My son has a 3d printer and he made me some prototype knobs this week with the switch mounting recessed on top. I paralleled the outlets and the switches to the 3rd function to the back to run the thumb figuring I don't run both at once and can isolate with ball valves of unhook hoses if both are mounted.
I turned 70 in july and the backhoe just makes so many things doable I would put off for sure and keeps the cook happy when she needs another tree planted etc.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I originally ordered my lx3310 cab with a bh77. As the tractor was being put together the dealer realized a different subframe was needed from what they ordered, due to the cab. And the correct subframe was not readily available. So I ended up taking delivery without the bh77.

I was wondering, how is the backhoe operation with a cab. Is it a little bit of a pain when digging a long trench??? Trying to decide if I should reorder the bh77.

Thanks
The seat area is a little tight(6 foot 210 pounds guy)as for digging a straight trench it is not too bad, just use the hoe to push the tractor ahead. Have not figured out how to turn(not for lack of trying) using just the hoe.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Sounds like some great ideas - if you have pictures...

Andy
[/QUOTE

I found some of my thumb pictures. I have been using the push button I got from surplus center and that is OK but wanted to get the switches on the handles. The cylinder from ebay seller had 1" pin holes. I had to put some shaft collars on the thumb end and mill them down a little for width. On the base end I plugged the hole and redrilled it about 1/2" over so that the thumb tucks up tight to the cylinder when up.

The yellow hook is an idea I had instead of welding hooks on the buckets. It also allows me to drop the bucket to pick something without that weight or in the way. The hook is welded to a piece of 3/8" about 3x6. I then drilled thru a second piece and sandwich it on the bucket linkage at it is out of the way but always there. No holes drilled in the linkage as it has a large opening already just 4 bolts clamping.

No pictures of the knobs yet but I will attempt to write up my own thread at some point.

Bill

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Thanks for digging the pics up - really like them all. Especially intrigued by the hydraulic thumb. Look forward to your thread.

Andy

OrangeGee

Equipment
L2502, LA526 loader, Titan stump bucket
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
Man, this is the worst thread to stumble upon just as I've come to peace with not getting a backhoe for my first tractor. I'm about to sign for a L2502. I went from, nay, to yay, to I'll try loader, stump bucket, forks, grapple, box blade to start with and see how it goes.

Dear backhoe, it's not goodbye, but see you later, maybe? I'll just live vicariously through this thread time being.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Man, this is the worst thread to stumble upon just as I've come to peace with not getting a backhoe for my first tractor. I'm about to sign for a L2502. I went from, nay, to yay, to I'll try loader, stump bucket, forks, grapple, box blade to start with and see how it goes.

Dear backhoe, it's not goodbye, but see you later, maybe? I'll just live vicariously through this thread time being.
But if you're going with 0% financing you can "roll it in" with the tractor. Can't do that later...

Just Sayin ;)

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ugh, I know. It's ok. I'll be happy to get one later and it'll be worth the upfront cost once I get things built out a little more.
When you do not have a BH, you will not miss it.
If you had never eaten filet mignon, you would not miss it either! ;)

OrangeGee

Equipment
L2502, LA526 loader, Titan stump bucket
Jul 8, 2023
Silver Spring MD
When you do not have a BH, you will not miss it.
If you had never eaten filet mignon, you would not miss it either! ;)
I respectfully disagree. Because, I already miss the backhoe and I don't even have a tractor yet. But, like I found my way to RIBEYE, I will find my way to a backhoe one day.