Wowzer, talk about markup on OEM Kubota parts

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
As a rule, if I need a part, I get it from my dealer (OEM Part) and I had a relay fail on my M9 cab, the one that controls the heater / ac blower motor so I ordered one from my dealer. The cost of the part was 54 bucks and once I got it, and looked it over, I discovered it was a Nissan relay so knowing a design engineer for Nissan I called him and asked him about the relay.

Told me to look on Rock auto using the Nissan part number (on the relay). What a shocker. The relay on Rock Auto cost $3.50. Nothing like a 99% markup.

I ordered 2, in as much as there are 2 relays, exactly the same (one controls the blower fan, the other controls the AC clutch.

I'm going to return the Kubota relay to the dealer. Might pay a restocking charge but I'm way farther ahead that way.

Moral of the story is, if you can cross a part (like a relay), do it. It will save you a bundle.

Having said that I still use Kubota oil and fuel filters. Nothing changes on that score.

Reactions: 1 user

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
As a rental operator, I am constantly ordering parts for about anything you can imagine. The first thing I do is look for a name and part number on what I am replacing. Often, the part turns out to be "proprietary" but most times it's available using google. I needed a plastic chain for one of my lifts. The lift manufacturer wanted $291.00. The company that makes the chain charged $91.00. It's often harder to do but a 70% discount is always welcome.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As a rule, if I need a part, I get it from my dealer (OEM Part) and I had a relay fail on my M9 cab, the one that controls the heater / ac blower motor so I ordered one from my dealer. The cost of the part was 54 bucks and once I got it, and looked it over, I discovered it was a Nissan relay so knowing a design engineer for Nissan I called him and asked him about the relay.

Told me to look on Rock auto using the Nissan part number (on the relay). What a shocker. The relay on Rock Auto cost $3.50. Nothing like a 99% markup.

I ordered 2, in as much as there are 2 relays, exactly the same (one controls the blower fan, the other controls the AC clutch.

I'm going to return the Kubota relay to the dealer. Might pay a restocking charge but I'm way farther ahead that way.

Moral of the story is, if you can cross a part (like a relay), do it. It will save you a bundle.

Having said that I still use Kubota oil and fuel filters. Nothing changes on that score.

I agree with you 100% ....

Question for you -

YOU have to take the top of the cab off to replace the relay?

WOULD IT be possible to configure the relay in a new place by adding wire so that you can gain access to it easier?

I know this is reinventing the wheel - but sometimes with a electrical problem, easier to add a breaker than replace a fuse!

Just curious if this is even a possibility.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
A ninety nine percent markup would not be unreasonable. Your Kubota dealer (or Kubota corporate) had a several hundred percent markup on that relay. You are not just paying for the relay, though. Unless Kubota special ordered it for you they added a markup for storage, inventory, and whatever else they could think of. Parts made for Kubota (filters, etc.) seem much more reasonable than other things. I don't know why. Rock Auto has to warehouse this stuff, too.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
1500 % markup ( 15 x the Rock Auto price)...
Now if you posted the part number, we could look for the 'best deal', as relays tend to have 'common' shapes and pinouts. If it's a simple 12V DC relay, say SPST ( on-off), 30A I can buy them for about $1.50 though I prefer SSRs.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I used to work for a computer graphics company. Our markup if you were not on any maintenance was to just move the decimal point over one position to the right. Your 20.00 part was now 200.00. My dealer is unusual in that if I can get the same part from an auto store for less he gives me the part# it crosses over to. Makes him my first stop every time

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Flip your always bragging how good they take care of you! Maybe you should bite the bullet this time and let them make some money on you! You know...you got to give a little to get a little! I mean they got bills to pay too!:cool:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Wow that's kind of crazy.

I recently needed a fuel l cut off solenoid for my BX 2200 and thought Kubota charging five times aftermarket price was excessive.

Live and learn...

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
It appears to me you could have removed the old relay and taken it to an automotive store to cross before ordering in an over priced one from the dealer. You special ordered it so you should use it marking the cost as tuition. I would explain it to the owner tho. Don't worry even if you return it you will pay for it somewhere.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Always do your research before ordering.
Case in point....

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
BEWARE: Many of the 'equivalent' parts are inferior.

For example, I installed an aftermarket waterpump.... The impeller actually had interference with the housing. (would not spin by hand when installed) I had to spend over an hour with dremel-tool to modify (grind) the impeller and test-fit several times before it would spin freely when installed on engine.

I have to wonder how many people have purchased these waterpumps and did not do a hand 'spin test' before starting the engine. The resultant damage to the aluminum timing-gear cover could be expensive.

Personally, If I were to do it all over again, I would GLADLY pay double for a replacement part that bolts right on and works out of the box.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
BEWARE: Many of the 'equivalent' parts are inferior.
Absolutely agree!! What the Wuhan Gang considers an equivalent can be dangerous. But, when you're referring to a Japanese made Denso or Nissan relay that's an exact part number match, you can save yourself some $$$$$ if you can do without the big orange K on the box.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Well, the relays I got from Rock are exact duplicates of the Nissan relay I got from Kubota, even made in Japan like the Nissan relay. The even say Nissan on the top so I have to assume it's one in the same. I'm sure I'll pay a restocking fee but will be less expensive than eating the full price and.... I didn't know the stock number on the relay because I had not removed the roof prior to getting the relay.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Engine parts and filters for me are all Kubota. Has to replace a fuel cut solenoid myself. Kubota part 90 bucks. Flea Bay part 50. Bought the Kubota anyway.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Flip your always bragging how good they take care of you! Maybe you should bite the bullet this time and let them make some money on you! You know...you got to give a little to get a little! I mean they got bills to pay too!:cool:

I may just forget about it and call it good. Not decided yet. They make plenty of money from me, they get all my tractor business.

I jut thought 3 bucks versus 53 bucks was a bit excessive.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
They do. Does help being shooting buddies with the lead mechanic too.

ki4dog

Equipment
L2501, Loader, DH1060, Titan 1205 rotary cutter, Titan pallet forks, TERYX
May 30, 2020
Kingston, TN
Deere is the same way. Just nature of the beast when dealing with parts that are not unique to a particular manufacturer or model.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I have a modified nissan 300zx. I have a whole bag of various nissan relays from different project z's over the years. They are super high quality and I use them for everything. They are practically free at the junkyard.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

There are only some many relay configurations. First place i head it to the autoparts store.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: There are only some many relay configurations. First place i head it to the autoparts store.

You must have some real humans at your store ! Up here, they ask( need to know) make/model/year/ dang COLOUR of the car BEFORE they can help, well, try to help... it's GOTTA be 'in the computer' before they even KNOW what 'gizmo' you need...

As for relays, the quickest way to find it, ask google 'numbers on relay'. Odds are real good , it'll find it. Then goto Digikey, largest disti in the USA. If I order before 7PM tonight, I'll get it by NOON tomorrow, for $10 'service charge'. Dk is in MN, I'm in southern Ontario. If I order locally( 40 miles away) , it'll cost me $25 AND 3-4 DAYS.

If you think you'll need that relay again... order more and duct tape next to the 'real' one.