zl-1501dt things i've done

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
You may have a plugged vent on the transmission making it over flow the shift lever.

On my L185 (similar US model to yours) the vent is on the side of the transmission under the seat area and looks like a question mark (?) on its side. Bugs love to build nests in it.
russell i know about the vent and its clean like new.

the leak from the shifter is more like a small tear drop after a lot o working with the pto lever, but for me its not good, the parts was cheap and the fix easy, that's why i decide to change them.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
all the items-gifts had arrived but the weather is rainy, all day long :D
we had a little sun today and i couldn't resist.
i took a 12mm long ratchet, and some pliers, to remove the glow plugs and the seat.
10 minutes later everything was ready.

now as for the new glow plugs, they are really fast and the glow plug indicator glows hot red after 9-11 sec, i hit the starter right away, the 2 cyl kubota fire right up with 2 degrees (Celsius) at atmosphere,
normally with the old plugs and that weather i would need 40+ sec and the indicator it will be seen only if it was night.

It was one of the best upgrade that i had made to the beast.

the glow plugs are recommended to every fellow that needs faster glow times.

now if i find time and good weather i will change and the gear shift seals.

here are some photos with the old and the new plug and the seats.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Alex - good to hear that all worked out on the glow plugs

I am very interested in the steps of changing the gear shifter seals. I have the parts for my L185 and just have not gotten to it yet. I don't have a roof to put it under so am afraid that if things don't get done in one day then there may be more trouble than I want!

Please take a lot of pictures and post a step by step on what you do!

Russell

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Alex - good to hear that all worked out on the glow plugs

I am very interested in the steps of changing the gear shifter seals. I have the parts for my L185 and just have not gotten to it yet. I don't have a roof to put it under so am afraid that if things don't get done in one day then there may be more trouble than I want!

Please take a lot of pictures and post a step by step on what you do!

Russell
Russell the pictures are a must.
im very happy with the glow plugs, now its a 10sec preheat and a Go

i will try to make it by steps, and i think that it is very easy, but i will see when i remove the shifter's,
one reason for me to remove the shifter is to check and the gears, not that i have any problem but i like to know my tractor.

im like that at all my machines, if i buy them second or third hand, i wanna know what the previous owner had do.

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
nothing new here i just like this shot and i post it,
the beast is working hard this week, it tills the gardens of the neighbor because its time for potatoes..

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Summer is coming here in Greece and i need a cup holder, today i change the oil at the kubota and i decide to do a small modification at left fender-handle and put a cup holder from a old bicycle,
it is metallic and i put it there with two small 4mm bolts with wing-nuts , so i can fast remove the holder,
the holes are small and they don't effect the strength of the handle.
here are some pictures.

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
my beast had develop a new oil leak, from the front right weel hub.
it was a very easy and fast job,
i jack up the front weel and remove it, then i remove the out bolts of the hub and everything came in my hands, a big gear and two rollers,
the dissaseble was easy and in 20min later i had the old seal at my hands.
a fast vist to the nearest car service center to find a new seal.

from there it was easy, cleaning and asseble the hub, new sae90 in and ready.

here are some photos.

Attachments

mwjoerin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1981 L245DT, FEL, 4' Rotary Mower, 41" Tiller, PTO Sprayer, Hiller, Cultivator
May 18, 2014
SW Washington State
Thanks for the updates and photos, they will help me with future projects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
a long time i've been away from the forum but i don't have free time,

today i remove the metal plates that hold the foot paddles at the fenders because the upper bolts had rust and the plates had lost the paint, i decide to remove it and change the bolts because one fender when the bota is at lower rpm it (dances)
the plate don't grab it perfectly at the foot rest, and the bolts were bad.

here are some pictures from the repair time.

first i remove all the 4 bolts, and 2 of them snap, i even remove the clutch foot rest because had a dent under it..

then i clean with the grinder the plates and straight them,

i spay paint every thing and put 4 new bolts.

i think that it looks better.

and the better thing is that the fender is rock solid now and it not dance at low rpm.

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Hello again,
Since a lot of fellow forum mates fix their tractor and since that L1501's loose after 40 years some oil i decide to fix mine.

i start with the fender that it was a 5min job with the right tools,

20minutes later i had the axle removed.

The other leak that my small beast had was some tear at the pto lever after some hard working time.

i know its very bad.... :D:D:D:D

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
i had buy the seals some time ago, and it was a very simple fix just 10min work,
the old seals i remove them with just a screw drive, and the new ones i just pressure them with my fingers and they pop in.

i clean the levers underneath and after some inspection to the gears (Everything is like new in there)

i put some rtv and install the levers.

i will remove the extra rtv when it cold...

tomorrow i will install and the rear seal and tire because i run out of time...

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Nice work :D I had to do the same wheel seal replacement a couple months back. Haven't had to go in and seal the top to the transmission though. Mine would start leaking there, and it meant that the mud dobbers got my transmission vent again :rolleyes:

I removed the fenders the same way you did. That 17mm universal socket and a couple of extensions sure made it a lot easier :D It's the first time the clutch side fender has been tight since I owned it :eek:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
well after 40 years of hard work its time to develop a leak, for me its normal, and i understand that if a machine is in working mode-on then it needs attention and service.

the good is that we have very strong build tractors and very easy to work with.

@ Daren this seals at the transmission have double purpose not only to seal the oil fumes to get out from the transmission but the real goal is to keep out the water and the mud and the other elements..
you wouldn't believe what i found over the seals.

i advice you to change them, its easy job and trouble free, and in that time you take a look at the gears

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
nothing special today, i had no time for the kubota
and i just clean the threads and i buy 2 new screws but they are 19mm and not 17, i will see if i can put in the socket at the fender....

now the bolts are (playable) by fingers

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Today i install the new oil seal and new rollers because the old ones had a small play,
i clean all the bolts and the threads and i put the gasket with rtv
here is the only picture that i took, (my phone died)

everything is cleaned and new.

the kubota is at his feet and ready for work..

Attachments

Last edited:

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Good Morning from Greece.

here is is a very hot summer and sometimes i need the tractor at late evening, near night and even with h3 bulbs at the headlights i need more light.

the only problem is that i like my tractor to look as more original as i can.
so after a lot of reading and some half stolen ideas i decide to create my own version on led head lights,

this is how i have cut the led headlight and how they seat at the hood,
i decide not to remove the hole aluminium body of the lights because it acts like a huge cooler.

a lot of sanding must to be done and painting later and installation at the end but with that pictures you can see how are going to look.

Attachments

Last edited:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Alexisferos,

Nice job! I like how it stays looking original.

Did you find those lights on eBay? Or, would you mind adding a link to where you found them? I'd also like to pick some of those up and do the same as you.

Thanks!

Steve

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
i have made some changes because i didend like the way the light was flooded with the original glass over the led light.

and that's the final modification.
i weld some bolts to the the original metal frame and i made a set of holes in the hood, and a bigger hole for the cable,
now the work lights are easy interchangeable, with just two bolts
i leave the bolts that hold the light bigger so i can put the original glass over if i want.

Attachments

Alexisferos

Equipment
L-1501 DT
Oct 24, 2013
Greece
Alexisferos,

Nice job! I like how it stays looking original.

Did you find those lights on eBay? Or, would you mind adding a link to where you found them? I'd also like to pick some of those up and do the same as you.

Thanks!

Steve
yes the work lights are from ebay, the two of them 20euros, 10 per piece
link

Last edited: