Outnumbered
Well-known member
Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Forks, 55" Grapple, 5' Tiller .....
In my imagination, a 7 y.o. with V8 327 under the pedal, leads me to think that there could be some interesting stories lurking there... care to share with us?V8 327 4 speed that truck was always super peppy.
Oh there was quite a few over the years.In my imagination, a 7 y.o. with V8 327 under the pedal, leads me to think that there could be some interesting stories lurking there... care to share with us?![]()
I suggest you use none other than Genuine LINE-X spray-in bedliner on that. ..
We had the opposite - '61 C10 Apache step-side 6 cyl (no oil filter), 3 on the column, left side mirror only, single tail light (no turn signals), heater, no radio. Previous owner had installed overload springs and 8-ply mudgrips on the rear. I'd stop at the feed mill for a ton of feed and waddle on out to the farm. Oh, and it was pale yellow.I learned to drive a 1968 C20 when I was 7, used it for all the ranch duties.
It was a custom factory build that the guy that ordered it turned it down when it showed up at the dealership because it didn't have a couple of the features that he wanted on it.
dealership sold it for cheap to get rid of it.
V8 327 4 speed that truck was always super peppy.
Killer Bee, you definitely are familiar with the ole C10/20/30's When researching this one it looks like 68 was the first year of the Longhorn and from what I can find it looks like there were approximately 1902 made that year. As you mentioned the wood bed definitely takes some patience. I found the white oak on craigslist and took a couple 4 pack of a good hazy IPA over to a former coworker that has a nice wood shop. Came out with all of our fingers and some nicely milled boards. Then comes the sanding and finishing and then all the nuts and bolts while trying to square everything back up. I found the ratchet straps to be my friend.nice looking truck, and great job on the bed wood!
for those that don't know, 68-72 chevy/gmc longhorns had a 6" longer wheelbase of 133" and the beds have a 6" extension making them 8' 6" overall. the bed is extended at the front where seam is visible, they weren't filled at the factory. the trim if optioned, has a 6" extension at the rear of the bed so those seams are not in the same place.
all of them had wood bed floors, no factory stamped steel longhorn beds offered.
they were all c20 or c30, no factory half ton or 4wd offered.
production numbers were fairly low. not necessarily rare but definitely less common.
growing up on the the family farm, I learned how to drive in dad's '65 chevy c20 283 4spd. still have the truck and the farm. just mowed that lane yesterday where this picture was taken years ago.
![]()
my first truck that I bought was a '68 gmc c20 350 3spd on the column. bought from a fellow sailor when we got back from desert storm. drove it all over ca and most fun driving was in sf while I was at c school on treasure island, even drove it down lombard st.
this is in front of the barracks on treasure island. along with the navy training center, now all long gone.
![]()
along the way I have acquired two '71 longhorns, still have both out on the farm.
'71 c20 longhorn 350 auto
![]()
wood bed was shot so I bought a mar-k kit, finished it and put it all back together. I use it for chores and it still looks like a coffee table in there.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
'71 c20 longhorn 350 4spd
![]()
also needs a bed, old wood completely stripped. I already bought the same mar-k bed wood kit I used in the ocre truck, just need to muster up the will power to do another one. that's a big job, about two weeks with multiple coats of epoxy and spar varnish and all the fitting and finagling to get everything straight and square.
sorry op for the intrusion, but these are one of my favorite hobbies that I can actually get work out of.![]()
I suggest you use none other than Genuine LINE-X spray-in bedliner on that. ..
It's funny you mentioned the factory order by another guy. That's the same way my FIL purchased this one. According to my FIL it was originally order for a contractor and then they did not pick it up for one reason or another.I learned to drive a 1968 C20 when I was 7, used it for all the ranch duties.
It was a custom factory build that the guy that ordered it turned it down when it showed up at the dealership because it didn't have a couple of the features that he wanted on it.
dealership sold it for cheap to get rid of it.
V8 327 4 speed that truck was always super peppy.