Question about Oil

nightowl1352

Equipment
L3800
Mar 5, 2013
Coker, al
Has anybody on here used or uses AMSOIL in their tractor. I am thinking about switching mine over when I change it next time. I have done some research and it seems like pretty good stuff. You can read about it at www.amssynthetics.com ...

Anybody have any pro's or con's that have used it before I switch...

Thanks

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Bulldog could tell you everthing you need to know about Amsoil, he's been a dealer for about 20ish years or so I believe.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
AHOH I think you just let the Genie out of the bottle,,,lol

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Welcome to OTT!
Eric is right- look up Bulldog. Or, he will see the post and pipe up. He is a seller and user of Amsoil, and can certainly be of help to you. I don't use it myself, but I do believe it is a fine product, and I do believe in Bulldog's testimonials. If anyone has put the stuff to the test, it is him.

nightowl1352

Equipment
L3800
Mar 5, 2013
Coker, al
I was thinking about becoming a dealer. Its only $30 dollars and I will save more than that buying it wholesale... From everything I have readabout AMSOIL its a no brainer to use it.
I am signing up and ordering today, Will post if I have any problems with it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I was thinking about becoming a dealer. Its only $30 dollars and I will save more than that buying it wholesale... From everything I have readabout AMSOIL its a no brainer to use it.
I am signing up and ordering today, Will post if I have any problems with it.
Best of luck to you! It will be great buying a good product at a reduced price, but maybe you can make a nice profit selling, too. Amsoil seems to sell itself real well.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
You don't say if its engine oil or hydraulic oil that interests you. Engine oil would likely be a bit less critical since, in a diesel, it needs changing quite often.

If you look up the specs of Amsoil compared to other tractor hydraulic oils you will find it impressive.

My L48 TLB shutters, even when quality dino oil is used in the hydraulics, when things get heated. I spent over $500 to replace the dino with Amsoil (ATH 5w-30) after only 50 hours with the dino. Haven't really given it a hot weather / hot operation test yet this year but according to the specs it should do very well.

Since hydraulic oil is replaced on a extended time schedule (400 hrs.) it is likely the last change the TLB will ever get so is cost effective in that way. I plan to run it 800 hrs. with filter changes per the manual.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/hydraulic-oil/synthetic-tractor-hydraulic-transmission-oil-sae-5w-30/?page=%2fstorefront%2fath.aspx

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
I changed my B2150 over to Amsoil the same week I brought it home, I too am an Amsoil dealer but do not push it, just sell to those who know I can get it from them via word of mouth.

Best part of Amsoil is it is an American product not supporting the foreign oil companies.
Living in a cold climate I have seen many benefits over the years.
I don't know why but all of my small engines love the stuff as well, they all start and run better.

nightowl1352

Equipment
L3800
Mar 5, 2013
Coker, al
I think I am going to switch my whole tractor over to AMSOIL. I am also going to switch my lawn mower, truck, vehicles, ATV's and everything else that has a motor.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Is it better to buy from a local dealer or can I buy it from Bulldog (or whoever else) just the same?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I run Amsoil in my Tacoma's manual transmission. Couldn't feel as marked a difference in shifting as I'd hoped from the factory goop but they make quality products. Check the prices on the fluid and decide if the extra cost is worth the peace of mind to you.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I've used the Amsoil 15W/40 the last two years in my L3010. I have yet to have to plug the engine heater in to start it in the winter, even at -12F! My plan was to also change the hydro fluid over. But an unplanned hydraulic hose rupture one winter (two different hoses one winter) and a pushed out oil seal on the hydraulic filter ( same winter) pretty much made it a complete fluid change over that winter.

But next time I plan to replace the UDT with Amsoil.

Bob

kubseki

Dec 17, 2012
Australia
I use Amsoil in a BX2360, engine and HST, since about 50hrs.
Cons- expensive
Pros- tractor still going

Did the switch as Kubota does not stock SUDT here and wanted to run synthetic due to hot operating conditions.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Man, you guys are great. All my Orange Brothers are coming around and I didn't even realize it. I've been building fence for a few days and y'all have a Amsoil discution without me, and doing a fine job I might add. :D

Nightowl1352, my advise is go ahead become a dealer and then start changing over everything you own to Amsoil. From my experience using Amsoil products you won't regret it.

GWD, as you know with anything Amsoil isn't a miracle in a bottle. That being said I believe when you do get to test in some hot weather the cooler operating temp that Amsoil provides will make a difference for you. I'm guessing it will be a little longer before it gets real hot but I'm looking forward to your feed back. The trans temp on my L3000 runs up to 70 degrees cooler than it did with factory fluid.

Marty394, not that there's anything wrong with the 15w40 but you might like the series 3000 5w30 heavy duty diesel oil better. It will give you a little better cold weather performance and shave some more off your fuel consumtion. With the high price of fuel every penny counts. Sounds like you are on the other end of the scale from GWD. Hot weather is his enemy and cold weather is yours. The Amsoil tractor trans/hyd fluid will make a huge difference in cold weather. My L3000 gets used almost daily year round. Honestly it gets used more in cool weather than it does hot. I'm fat, I don't like hot weather. I normally use glow plugs in the cold but I have started mine at -11 without glow plugs or being plugged in just to see if it would. Even that cold the hyd system was as smooth as it is during the summer.

Seanbarr, you can order from any Amsoil dealer. It's pretty easy to become a dealer yourself. I did just so it could order my own oil at a cheaper price. If you don't want to go that rout you can go to the Amsoil site and look on the upper left side of the page. In yellow it will say "find Amsoil near you", put in your zip code and if there are any dealers around you it will pull them up. If you have any trouble send me a PM and I'll help you any way I can.

Wild and Free, you my friend bring up one of my favorite points about Amsoil. American founded, American owned, American made by workers in America that have the pleasure of telling big oil to shove it. I like the fact that a superior product can be and is being produced in America. :cool:

nightowl1352

Equipment
L3800
Mar 5, 2013
Coker, al
I signed up as a dealer and ordered my oil last night at www.amssynthetics.com With what I spent I have already saved more than the $30 it cost me to become a dealer. I am looking forward to installing it this weekend if it gets here in time. If you have not already done it go to the website and check it out. Will post after I install it and let everybody know if I notice any difference.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I been runnin M1 15W50 in the HD for 12 years and its still runnin too, but then I use redline and royal purple too so go figure,,lol:rolleyes:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Will post after I install it and let everybody know if I notice any difference.
If you are changing the engine oil be sure to listen close when you fire it up the first time. After a second or so you can hear the noise level drop. It amazed me the first time I heard this happen.

I'm sure you will be pleased with their products.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
I hate to rain on your parade Bulldog but that's just the bearings clacking, running dry til the gallery's refill and oil pressure returns to normal. We didn't prefill the filters at the quick lube on anything but diesels, some engines would clack for 3-4 seconds before they built up pressure. I had one customer drive in with no oil in his engine. Now that engine clacked during it's post change startup, I thought we were going to get a rod through the pan. Made a racket even with oil pressure.

I'm not sure you'll feel much of a difference, depends on the machine. For whatever reason my Honda sang like a bird when it got it oil changed. My Tacoma doesn't feel the slightest bit different with old or fresh oil. The big difference vs mineral oil would be in the wear, especially during cold startup, and the longevity of the fluid. An oil analysis would tell you about that.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I like alittle rain every now and then Stumpy. Actually though after hearing difference on my L3000 my brother and I did another test when we serviced his B7500. This wasn't quite rocket science but was certified by the Redneck Technical Institute of Backyard Mechanics of America. I got a decibel meter from my friends radio shop. Keep in mind this was done outside at my house, hardly a controlled environment but the engine was 5db lower after changing the oil.
Fluke, I can't say but it was cool to see the numbers.

Stumpy, that's seems strange about your truck. I have changed fluid in several of my manual transmissions and could tell a big diffence in the way they shifted. All of them were much smoother.
Just for my own curiousity what kind of oil does your truck use in the tranny?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Redneck Technical Institute of Backyard Mechanics of America

Now there's a diploma I'd be proud to have on my wall! I have no doubt it was quieter afterwards. Like I said my Accord was smoother, quieter, and revved better after a change. This pickup engine doesn't care in the slightest.

The Tacoma's always been kinda notchy. It's not bad if you slow your shifting a bit so the gears have time to slow down but if you try and fight it it fights back, especially when cold. My Honda's transmission was like it's engine, it was much smoother with fresh fluid in it and would fly through gears if you asked it nicely. I figured I'd try some new fluid and both my Toyota and Amsoil recommended 75W-90 Manual Transaxle lube (MTGQT) so that's what I used. I noticed no significant difference in shifting cold or warm, maybe the stock fluid was just as good and that's just how the tranny is. I dunno, it's a truck, maybe I'm expecting too much.