Gasoline Engine Swap - is it possible?

spamanon

Equipment
Kubota B3030
Jan 17, 2024
USA
Hello,

I want to know if anyone has ever successfully swapped a gasoline engine into their Kubota tractor. I would love to do this for my B3030, even if some fabrication and welding were involved. I have a Toyota 1.6L engine that I'd like to put into it, but it may be too big for the frame.

Thanks!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I’d try to trade it for a 13b-tt. Might fit in the “frame” a bit better, and be a whole hell of a lot cooler 😁

Reactions: 1 user

spamanon

Equipment
Kubota B3030
Jan 17, 2024
USA
I’d try to trade it for a 13b-tt. Might fit in the “frame” a bit better, and be a whole hell of a lot cooler 😁

That would be very cool, indeed! I think those are probably pretty expensive though, compared to pistons.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Sounds like heresy, other than the offsetting B3030 aspect. Could a person pull all the emission stuff off the stock V1505 diesel?

I suspect the little Toy gasser might be a bit shy on torque at an engine rpm that provides 540 PTO rpm? Or maybe some gearing would have to happen so the PTO rpm could be achieved without 4k plus engine rpm (over twice what the stock engine peak torque rpm of 2k rpm). But the peak torque on the gasser at 4k rpm is a bit more than the stock engine (maybe 100 plus ft lbs versus about 85 ft-lbs on the V1505). Don’t know which version of the Toy 1.6 is being contemplated, but maybe it’s one that coincidentally has about 85 ft lbs at about 2k rpm? Maybe it could work ok-ish?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
have I done it , no
I did 'proof of concept' to replace the BUDA BD153 in my forklift with 2 gas engines though, as well as the 'classic' golfcar motor into an A-C G.

the short list of necessary stuff to figure out...

adapter plate between engine and tractor
motor mounts of course
electrical rewiring
new rad and hoses
hood and panels
steering hoses/ rods
muffler and piping

as for the 'will-it-fit' 1st step. take lots of pictures of engine and tractor put into computer. run 'software' to 'marry' engine to tractor.The program will show you in less than 5 minutes IF it'll physically fit.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like heresy, other than the offsetting B3030 aspect. Could a person pull all the emission stuff off the stock V1505 diesel?

I suspect the little Toy gasser might be a bit shy on torque at an engine rpm that provides 540 PTO rpm? Or maybe some gearing would have to happen so the PTO rpm could be achieved without 4k plus engine rpm (over twice what the stock engine peak torque rpm of 2k rpm). But the peak torque on the gasser at 4k rpm is a bit more than the stock engine (maybe 100 plus ft lbs versus about 85 ft-lbs on the V1505). Don’t know which version of the Toy 1.6 is being contemplated, but maybe it’s one that coincidentally has about 85 ft lbs at about 2k rpm? Maybe it could work ok-ish?
There is no emissions on a B3030!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No!
Well at least not logically
Why you ask?
Real simple, part of the frame of the tractor is the motor, without the stock motor there is nothing to attach the front frame and the back half of the tractor together.

Enough with the foolish idea of lets try and cobble an engine into a use where it has no place.
This doesn't even account for all the operational issues of using an automotive engine in place of the stock engine.
One of the most glaring is NO governor on the engine, RPM's would be all over the place all the time and make the tractor stupidly unusable!

A V1505 is cheap to fix or replace if needed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Yes, you can put a backhoe on an 8N, which came with PTO and loaders were on them as well...
Given enough time, money and a wee bit of thinking...
yes, you can add 'frame rails' to accomodate the new engine
yes, you can add a governor. two options...mechanical or electronic

When you consider you can put a V8 under a bar stool and drive it down the road, marrying a Toy engine to a Kubota is possible ! Practical, no but POSSIBLE.

Anyone want to see it done, supply good running engine, the tractor and an open wallet, as I charge $125 /hr + 13% HST for 'proof-of-concept' projects

• Haha

spamanon

Equipment
Kubota B3030
Jan 17, 2024
USA
No one has asked, so I will. Why would you want to swap to a gas engine versus the diesel you already have?
I am tired of trying to keep a diesel working well in the cold. When it gets below 0 F I have trouble. The other day it was -25 F and the tractor would start and run for 2 seconds then die. Never did get it running after 20 minutes of trying. Before you say it:

Yes, I keep it plugged in.
Yes, I buy winter blend.
Yes, I put anti-gel in too.
Yes, the battery is new.
Yes, the glow plugs are new.
No, I don't want to hear about how your diesel "always" runs at -100 F. Good for you. Mine doesn't.

With only 400 hours on the tractor, it isn't worn out. I am going to either sell it and buy a gasoline tractor of similar size, or have a little fun and swap out the troublesome diesel for a gas engine. All of my gasoline engines start every time no matter how cold. I need that reliability in my tractor when the cows are hungry for some hay.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
HST = Hot potato Sales Tax, Canadian Federal and Provincial taxes, rolled into one 13% add on to nearly everything you buy......HSt is added to every sale from buying raw goods, making the item,selling to distributor,selling to store, selling to customer. 'Hot potato' as the LAST guy holding onto the item has paid all the taxes.everyone before can claim an 'input tax CREDIT' to recover the taxes they paid for it.

Old forklift had 30HP BUDA diesel engine,needed rings(blowby so bad I 'replumbed' valve cover to intake..). 'No big deal'..preorder them before pulling engine. OK.....WHICH ring set ? set of 3 or set of 4 ? How the heck do I know? have to tear engine apart to find out.NOTHING on engine, manuals, the web CAN say 100% what's 'inside'.....So... 30HP engine might have 20-22HP left in it,does 2 things travel and lift.Has 2 speed automatic,so 15HP gas engine will be good, another 15hp for the hydraulic pump(lift 5000#). Once you remove the 4000# weight,rad,engine pull is easy. remove fuel tank, no longer needed. Plenty of space to fab in mounting plates for engines, 'Lovejoy' couplings to connect. Rewire dash for TWO remote start/run of engines, TWO throttles.

watched that Russian (?) MAKE a tractor using angle grinder and fluxcore welder. Now THAT is impressive.

details, all in the details and planning

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am tired of trying to keep a diesel working well in the cold. When it gets below 0 F I have trouble. The other day it was -25 F and the tractor would start and run for 2 seconds then die. Never did get it running after 20 minutes of trying. Before you say it:

Yes, I keep it plugged in.
Yes, I buy winter blend.
Yes, I put anti-gel in too.
Yes, the battery is new.
Yes, the glow plugs are new.
No, I don't want to hear about how your diesel "always" runs at -100 F. Good for you. Mine doesn't.

With only 400 hours on the tractor, it isn't worn out. I am going to either sell it and buy a gasoline tractor of similar size, or have a little fun and swap out the troublesome diesel for a gas engine. All of my gasoline engines start every time no matter how cold. I need that reliability in my tractor when the cows are hungry for some hay.
First there is no need to yell at US.
You simply have something wrong with your tractor.
Not our fault and it's not really the tractors fault.
It's got a problem, fix it!
That is not a problematic engine or tractor.
It's one of the more stable off all the engines.

If you keep it plugged in all the time, 100 to 1 odds are the heater is fried.
They should only be plugged in in short intervals.

There is no reason it shouldn't start and run, I have quite a few Kubota diesels along with others and I could go out with it being -22 and all of them would start and run, and not a single one was plugged in.

Swapping it to Gasoline would be insane!
No one that I know makes a new 30HP gasoline tractor.
So go find and old JD, Oliver of Ford and be happy.