Steering is backwards

JFSPSYD

Equipment
Kubota L3010 w/Loader
May 13, 2023
Louisiana
Greetings!
I have a Kubota L3010 HST. I had a steering line rupture. I replaced the line then topped off the hydraulic fluid. Now the steering operates backwards/reversed. IOW when I turn the steering wheel left the front tires turn right and vice versa. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Did two lines get switched when line was replaced?
Did steering position move when line was replaced?

1684033933508.png

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Is the tractor rubber side up? I have no idea, but couldn’t resist.

I know some of the tractors, like my little B2601, don’t have a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering assembly. So you can clock the steering wheel to straight up as often as you’d like, it won’t stay that way.

I’m sure someone with some actually knowledge about this will be able to help soon.

See how that was (above my post as I wrote it)?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The only way that could happen is if the lines got swapped.

Reactions: 1 users

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
Like Wolfman said, you crisscrossed the lines when you hooked them back up. Swap ‘em and you’re good to go.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I have done this

Tech got mad and left for a several day vacation, leaving an L3300 sitting in the bay. Boss wanted me to make it driveable so that it could be moved, but said tech was going to have to finish it when he got back. Didn't label the hoses so I just stuck em on where they "wanted" to live. Backwards. Steer right, wheels turn left. Oh boy...the tech is gonna be THRILLED about this. Drove it out and parked it. And trust me here, driving with backwards steering is WEIRD!! Had to go really really slow, even as far as tractors speeds are concerned. Tech got back from his "vacation", got a butt chewing, and then went to pull the tractor in. Boy was that fun to see/watch/hear. The words that came out of his mouth were nothing I've ever heard prior or since--I think they were invented at that moment.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

JFSPSYD

Equipment
Kubota L3010 w/Loader
May 13, 2023
Louisiana
Thanks much for the replies!

No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering assembly.

The steering wheel position WAS moved prior to the line being replaced.

Im pretty sure the lines were NOT swapped during replacement. I say this because only one of the two lines ruptured. So I only replaced one line. Because of the setup it would be very difficult to confuse the lines but not impossible. That said, they only could have been swapped on the steering wheel end (not assembly), which I guess makes sense, because if they were completely swapped then it shouldnt affect the control (right?).

Griz, the rubber stayed down (thankfully! Lol). Though, were it up, only I would be confused...right now both the tractor and I are confused (very weird to operate currently)...but the tractor started it!

May be worth mentioning...but the line that was replaced I had built at a local shop as there was nowhere for me to obtain an OEM line on a Saturday. I cant say for sure but I wondered if the inner diameter of the lines could be different. Not sure what the impact would be other than flow rate.

JFSPSYD

Equipment
Kubota L3010 w/Loader
May 13, 2023
Louisiana
Well Im on my way to (re)swap the lines and see if it does any good. Ill let you all know.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This (similar) has been known to happen with airplanes coming out of maintenance. It doesn’t end well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The original inspiration for the movie "Airplane" ... which is best possible ending. Lol
I believe you must be thinking of some other movie, perhaps..? (“FLight”…??…with Denzel Washington..?)

“Airplane” was about a crew incapacitated with food poisoning and a drunk, ex-fighter pilot who tries to land the airplane.

”Airport 1975” was about Charlton Heston who whines that he is unable to fly a damaged airplane that, until he arrives, has been flown quite well by his Flight Attendant girlfriend.

A real event (which ended amazingly)

An actual accident which was survived…. not the usual ending: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/101582/pdf

Last edited:

JFSPSYD

Equipment
Kubota L3010 w/Loader
May 13, 2023
Louisiana
I believe you must be thinking of some other movie, perhaps..? (“FLight”…??…with Denzel Washington..?)

“Airplane” was about a crew incapacitated with food poisoning and a drunk, ex-fighter pilot who tries to land the airplane.

”Airport 1975” was about Charlton Heston who whines that he is unable to fly a damaged airplane that, until he arrives, has been flown quite well by his Flight Attendant girlfriend.

A real event (which ended amazingly)

An actual accident which was survived…. not the usual ending: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/101582/pdf
It is a 30hp kubota tractor with a partial front left flat and reversed steering. Nothing like an airplane really. Operating it is more like the movie. Was hoping to respond and move on so the post didnt get hijacked by something irrelevant. Primarily because Im sure the lines didnt get swapped and Id like to figure this "Airplane" out.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Lots of fun replies to this. You either reversed the lines or an electrical connection was reversed, and the steering actuator is running backwards, off 180 degreees.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
really it's a manufacturing defect....down to some lazy 'engineer' who didn't design it proper.
those hoses (and similar ) should NOT be able to be put on backwards or reversed.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So the OP states he only removed and replaced one hose. Then the steering suddenly reversed.

Either the OP is misleading us, or this is actually the situation.

I certainly don’t know the answer, but I do know there are a number of very experienced people here who might, or at least might suggest possibilities.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks much for the replies!

No mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the steering assembly.

The steering wheel position WAS moved prior to the line being replaced.

Im pretty sure the lines were NOT swapped during replacement. I say this because only one of the two lines ruptured. So I only replaced one line. Because of the setup it would be very difficult to confuse the lines but not impossible. That said, they only could have been swapped on the steering wheel end (not assembly), which I guess makes sense, because if they were completely swapped then it shouldnt affect the control (right?).

Griz, the rubber stayed down (thankfully! Lol). Though, were it up, only I would be confused...right now both the tractor and I are confused (very weird to operate currently)...but the tractor started it!

May be worth mentioning...but the line that was replaced I had built at a local shop as there was nowhere for me to obtain an OEM line on a Saturday. I cant say for sure but I wondered if the inner diameter of the lines could be different. Not sure what the impact would be other than flow rate.
The steering wheel being moved would not effect operations one bit.