Next newbie question

elimsprint

Equipment
Kubota Sunshine ZL1-235 with tiller, FEL and 60" box blade
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
What is this oil filler for? It looks like it is joined to the transmission but higher than the fill hole on the hump but I can't really tell. The manual I have been trying to use is for an L1-235 doesn't show the filler at all. Thanks for any help you can give me.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Excuse my ignorance, but how does one remove that filter? It looks like the end of a spin-on, but how do you get a hold of it? It looks like it is flush with the casting. :unsure:

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Hydraulic oil. For best results use only Kubota UDT/Super UDT2. (Early models may have had SAE80 gear oil which should be drained and replaced with UDT. Fluid and spin-on filter should be replaced every 300 hrs. See pg 54 of this free Owners/Service manual.). https://kubotabooks.com/AutoIndex/index.php?dir=Tractor Owners Manuals/&file=L185_l235_l245_l275_l285_l295_l305_l345_l355 shop manual.pdf
So pouring transmission fluid in there is the same as pouring it in the filler between my feet on top of the tranny hump, correct? It's just an easier place to pour in the fluid that all goes to the same place, it's not a second section I need to fill separately with it's own fill level?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Excuse my ignorance, but how does one remove that filter? It looks like the end of a spin-on, but how do you get a hold of it? It looks like it is flush with the casting. :unsure:
That is NOT a filter in the picture!
That is a fill plug!

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
That is a fill plug!
So are there 2 places I need to add transmission fluid and 2 different fill levels I need to be concerned about, one for the main transmission and one for the rear differential?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
So are there 2 places I need to add transmission fluid and 2 different fill levels I need to be concerned about, one for the main transmission and one for the rear differential?
Can't answer that, because I am not familiar with your specific tractor.
My comment is only made knowing that location to be typical for other Kubotas (mine included).

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Can't answer that, because I am not familiar with your specific tractor.
My comment is only made knowing that location to be typical for other Kubotas (mine included).
On yours does it all go to the same place or do you need to do 2 different fills with different levels?

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
On yours does it all go to the same place or do you need to do 2 different fills with different levels?
Can't remember for certain.
I have been away from my tractor for 6 months.
I will look in my WSM.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Thank You, all my tractors stuff is in Japanese so all I have is the English versions of similar tractors manuals to go by.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That is a fill plug!
Thanks, I am apparently getting blind in my old age....
I saw this "What is this oil filler for?" and read it as "What is this oil FILTER for"
It is hell getting old...

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks, I am apparently getting blind in my old age....
I saw this "What is this oil filler for?" and read it as "What is this oil FILTER for"
It is hell getting old...
Trust me....when you are really OLD it gets a LOT worse !

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The two fill ports are probably for the same sump.

to prove it try to shine a bright light in one hole and see if you can see it through the other hole. Or maybe measure the fluid level in both holes and then drain some fluid out and see if both go down

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

to prove it try to shine a bright light in one hole and see if you can see it through the other hole. Or maybe measure the fluid level in both holes and then drain some fluid out and see if both go down
Or add UV-tracer to one and check the other after a short run.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes that rear fill point is connected to the fill point in front of the seat.
Several models have 2 ports.
My L3450 has multiple fill points.

Reactions: 1 user

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada

That's a great thought about the light. I don't know if I can get down to the oil from the upper oil plug but I need to take a better light up to the shop or recharge the batteries in the one that's already up there, to get a good look, lol.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
Yes that rear fill point is connected to the fill point in front of the seat.
Several models have 2 ports.
My L3450 has multiple fill points.
I thought so but I can't see the oil level in the rear one. I can see that the parts that I could see had oil on them and it looked like the tractor oil.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Thank You, all my tractors stuff is in Japanese so all I have is the English versions of similar tractors manuals to go by.
It’s less than ideal, but Google tranlate in your phone will allow you to scan kanji and with that you could read your manual…some of terms / comments will be some bastard sentence (jinglish)…but short of speaking the language and knowing the technical terms that’s your best option IMO. It’s definitely better than translator that doesn’t have the technical terms. It’s not a subsitute for dialect or local slang, but Google translate works in a pinch and it’s free…try going to a hospital overseas where you don’t speak the language in an emergency and they don’t take you in until you can fill out the paperwork. Anyway give it a try if want to read the manual or if another US model/manual is not a match to the controls in your machine.

elimsprint

Equipment
Feb 23, 2023
Kelowna, BC, Canada
It’s less than ideal, but Google tranlate in your phone will allow you to scan kanji and with that you could read your manual…some of terms / comments will be some bastard sentence (jinglish)…but short of speaking the language and knowing the technical terms that’s your best option IMO. It’s definitely better than translator that doesn’t have the technical terms. It’s not a subsitute for dialect or local slang, but Google translate works in a pinch and it’s free…try going to a hospital overseas where you don’t speak the language in an emergency and they don’t take you in until you can fill out the paperwork. Anyway give it a try if want to read the manual or if another US model/manual is not a match to the controls in your machine.
I tried Google Translate on my computer on the whole .pdf manual I have and it wouldn't do it. I tried a couple of the other translate programs and none of them worked either. I will try it on the phone next. Thanks for the good idea.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is a lot of parts in the way to be able to see the oil, and a light in there you very well will not see it in the front because there is a wall inside the transmission that blocks a straight path, there are holes on the bottom to allow the oil to pass through.