New purchase, concerns with dealers...

dbertheau

Equipment
LX3310HSDC, FEL w/CB1060, PFL1242, LX2963, WM-8M Chipper
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Hello,

New to this site and may purchase my first tractor. I've spent a month or so researching the purchase of a Kubota tractor. I've talked to a half dozen dealers, including local and out of state dealers. I'm close to making a purchase.

However, a concerning message that I'm getting is regarding service and warranty work. If I take the tractor to a local dealer for warranty work, and I didn't buy the tractor from them, then service work for my tractor will not be their priority. It's been messaged to me that corporate Kubota is driving this behavior.

I've located a dealer about 3 hours away that has what I'm looking for and at a competitive price. I'm having trouble pulling the trigger, and I'm second guessing if Kubota is the right tractor, due to corporate customer support philosophy and dealer behavior; and potential challenges with getting service done locally (dealers 30 to 60 minutes away.)

I guess my question is, do these machines need a lot of service? And, is there much service that is dealer repairable only, i.e. computer programming, etc.? I'll perform general maintenance myself. I'm easy on and don't abuse my equipment.

The tractor is a LX3310HSDC. Snowblower, FEL with 4 in 1 bucket, grapple and forks. Small couple of acre property with tree work, landscaping, etc. And clearing 400' of drive and parking area of snow. We just had almost 5 feet of snow over a few days at the end of February. It's a challenge to keep up clearing the snow with my Ariens walk behind...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, regarding challenges with getting service from local dealers where I did not purchase from. The basic message of "...if you didn't buy from me then I won't perform warranty work in a timely basis on your tractor..." is not comforting. I may be over thinking this and shouldn't be concerned????

Thanks

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Just like a car. if you didn't buy it from the local dealer, then the local dealer isn't going to want to do warranty work for you.

Reactions: 1 users

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Just like a car. if you didn't buy it from the local dealer, then the local dealer isn't going to want to do warranty work for you.
Yep. I don't think it's a corporate thing. It's customer loyalty/priority.
Maintenance is a mixed bag. It depends on what your level of competency is, and it depends on the complexity of the machine. Some models, especially ones without emissions equipment, are easier to work on yourself.
As Dusty said, it's very similar to a car. It may be trouble free, or it may require warranty work. And, it isn't just Kubota. It's all manufacturers.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I’ve heard that from green shop, and I won’t go back. I’ve also heard it from an orange shop when I was in the market for my first, I would not go back there. They no longer have a Kubota dealership. IMO find another dealer. It’s not the norm in Ohio in rural areas near me…but it does happen…generally I would be worried how they treat customers after the sale? Or what if you moved? I really don’t know why they would care service work or business, and kubotas don’t require a lot, so I’d think they would want to have more of it. Maybe they have more business and they turn it away…something to consider if you can’t get good service what you buy. What if you need parts? Anyways to each their own.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I bought a new B2601 from local dealer and had excellent post sale service from them. 9 months later, I bought an new LX3310 from an out-of-state dealer, and still have excellent service & support from my local dealer. It shouldn't matter. If it does, your local dealer sucks.

Reactions: 13 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I had my 2004 Kubota serviced at the local dealer in 2018, the first question I was asked was " where did you buy it?" It wasn't from them, and they screwed me over on a minor repair. That is why I didn't buy my last machine from them. If I ever need service on it that I can't do myself, I will trailer it back to the selling dealer. At least he appreciates my business. Some dealerships are run by imbeciles, not businessmen.

Reactions: 5 users

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Thanks, everyone.

I guess the reason why I am concerned is I've never had an issue where an auto dealership cared where you purchased the vehicle. New experience for me where Kubota dealers come right out and use as a sales approach.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you buy local, you're supporting THAT dealership and staff, who probably live close by. If everyone buys 'far,far away' your local dealer closes and now service will be 'far,far way' , 3 hrs EACH way...bummer, big bummer. You may want to politely ask/say to the local dealer, "can you please sharpen your pencil, I'd prefer to buy from you than xxx dealer."
Curious...so I have to ask why the 4 in 1 bucket? I've heard they are very heavy and mainly a 'down under' thing ?? Wondering what the price difference is to.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I bought a new B2601 from local dealer and had excellent post sale service from them. 9 months later, I bought an new LX3310 from an out-of-state dealer, and still have excellent service & support from my local dealer. It shouldn't matter. If it does, your local dealer sucks.
Right on / damn straight. I use two dealers and their service is so good I would not shop either of them around. Except I have given them both chance to quote last tractor purchase and I was up front and honest with them (they are 4 hours apart…I have two properties) and the one that did not get the sale provided excellent repair work and worked with me…i provided a bottle of top shelf sipping.juice to them for how they helped me out and I will go back for service. And they are both great on parts and any help I need. Before I use a dealer I buy parts from them to see how they treat me…I am not sure that is the right thing to do, but calling an asking for a part or ordering an oil filter / bolt or cotter pin whether you need or not is a cheap check…ask them to ship and see how they do…ounce of prevention IMO. Worst case is out a filter or a bolt or something and some shipping expense, best case is you find out how they treat you and then you can decide do they deserve your money or not.

Reactions: 4 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
In the 20+ years I've spent working in automotive parts/service, I couldn't disagree more. We didn't care where the customer purchased their vehicle (including direct competition) and were happy to service it for warranty, or customer pay repairs/maintenance. Money is money.

In the tractor industry (and RV industry), I have heard some dealers are jerks regarding servicing. In the OP's case, I'd simply talk to my local dealer...and more specifically, their service department and ask the question, 'if I purchase from another dealer, will you service my tractor?'

I have a good relationship with two of my local dealerships and honestly, the one I haven't purchased from is more than willing to service my current tractor at their facility without issue.

Mike

Reactions: 8 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Sounds like if you're ever forced to relocate, you better sell your tractor and buy another one in your next neighborhood.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

dbertheau

Equipment
Mar 5, 2023
Nevada City, CA
Curious...so I have to ask why the 4 in 1 bucket? I've heard they are very heavy and mainly a 'down under' thing ?? Wondering what the price difference is to.
Being that this is my first tractor, I'm no expert. Feel free to change my mind if it's a silly implement to invest in.

A good friend has a couple of Kubota tractors, both with 4in1 buckets. He uses these tractors to make money. He swears by these buckets...one implement that can do a few things, i.e., load/unload, push material, scrap/grade and can grab material as well. I'm thinking this will come in handy as I have some leveling and small elevation changes to do in our back yard landscape project.

The CB1060 weighs around 360 pounds. It does cost a couple thousand more I think. I'll find out if it's a good implement...unless feedback is that it's not the best idea...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
In my experience dealers make their money on servicing, not on the original sale, especially if they've had to sharpen their pencil on that sale. If you're paying them to service, they'll service. Warranty is a bit different, I think Kubota don't necessarily pay them well for it. If the dealer doesn't know you well, how do they know you didn't just move to the area, or buy the machine second hand, or anything else? A dealer who doesn't want your money......doesn't want you money.

My local dealer does give me a very clear message - my tractor is a residential/semi rural machine. Most of their customers use their machines to make a living. I'm very much not at the front of their queue, they get a little money off me every two years. I tend to service in the off season when they're less busy, and I do the service myself where I can. I don't begrudge them giving priority to the customers who actually give them decent business.

On 4 in 1 buckets. They're very common in my part of the world, at least partly because a) we don't get SSQA, so swapping implements is hard, and b) very few if any grapples available small enough for a compact machine. The 4 in 1 is a compromise, it does a bit of everything. Assuming you're in the US, you'll probably be a lot happier with an SSQA, a grapple, some forks, and a standard bucket. But if your budget doesn't stretch to that, a 4 in 1 will do most of what all that could do.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
True, but they are required to do warranty work. And they get reimbursed from corporate. They may not prioritize your machine but they are required to do warranty work. My last tractor I owned for 22 years. I did all the fluid/filter changes myself and only had the machine for dealer service twice during those years. If you can do basic maintenance, the odds are that dealer service needs will be minimal. But your mileage may vary….

Reactions: 2 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I myself would skip the 4in1 and get a 54" SSQA as this is a LX size tractor and not a lifting king to begin with. If your good friend would let you borrow one, then I would use the savings on a pallet forks attachment. As for the service aspect I think any dealership would work on it(warranty or not the dealership still gets paid), the only issue I can see is if only one part is on the shelf or available the customer that bought the tractor there would get it. I bought both of my tractors local and still get parts for them as they are always cheaper than Messick's once I add the shipping into price. Also would consider waiting till the new LX's come out if horsepower is a concern as I guess Kubota really improved the HSD whine(it does not bother me as I realized that it is a tractor not a Cadillac/Lexus/Mercedes). I am curious if the K connect implements are the same.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When I had my 2004 Kubota serviced at the local dealer in 2018, the first question I was asked was " where did you buy it?" It wasn't from them, and they screwed me over on a minor repair. That is why I didn't buy my last machine from them. If I ever need service on it that I can't do myself, I will trailer it back to the selling dealer. At least he appreciates my business. Some dealerships are run by imbeciles, not businessmen.
A capable trailer is a wonderful think to have,.... and I do have it.
I bought my 251 hour L48 TLB used, from a private party.
Would the nearest dealer be likely to punish me, because I bought from a private party?
I already know, from a previous parts order issue, that I would NOT go to my nearest Kubota dealer (75 miles away) for any repairs.

DustyRusty: Due to location, we may have had our issues with the same dealer.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The dealer (Kahn Tractor) that I have dealt with in CT has been great. The dealer (MB Tractor) in Springfield MA is also a great dealership. The dealership in RI, (Norfolk Equipment) is also very good.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If you are buying a grapple, I would skip the 4 in 1 bucket and buy a rear blade instead. The 4 in 1 is heavy and really doesn’t work as well for grading as you would think it would. If you need to pick things up, then use your grapple. You will lose quite a bit of lift capacity with the 4 in 1 do to it’s weight.

Reactions: 3 users

Tropical Jack

Equipment
Kubota L3301 w/ FEL & BH, tilt and trim, chipper, box blade, grading blade
I have an L3301 that is 7 years old. I bought it used 4 years ago. I do all the routine maintenance on the tractor, and it has not needed any service (yet) from a dealer. The tractor had 275 hours on it when I bought it, and now has over 600 hours. I buy my parts and maintenance items from the local dealer, who is 12 miles away. I hope that I never have a computer or emissions issue; but if I do, I will take the tractor to my local dealer.

Jack

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
In the 20+ years I've spent working in automotive parts/service, I couldn't disagree more. We didn't care where the customer purchased their vehicle (including direct competition) and were happy to service it for warranty, or customer pay repairs/maintenance. Money is money.

In the tractor industry (and RV industry), I have heard some dealers are jerks regarding servicing. In the OP's case, I'd simply talk to my local dealer...and more specifically, their service department and ask the question, 'if I purchase from another dealer, will you service my tractor?'

I have a good relationship with two of my local dealerships and honestly, the one I haven't purchased from is more than willing to service my current tractor at their facility without issue.

Mike
Automotive wise, this has been my experience as well.

I never knew where the vehicle was purchased, I just worked on them as fast as I could.

I don't know about tractor mechanics, but automotive flat rate mechanics/service writers/Parts guys, could care less where you bought it, they are just happy you're there now.

Paul

Reactions: 7 users