Tooth Bar??

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I bought one of those over the bucket tooth bars when I bought my M59. I took it off after trying it a couple of times and found it was only good for getting jammed full of grass and roots and making a mess. I took it off and it's been in the corner of my barn since.

I'd go welded on teeth or try the piranha bar that bolted flush to the bucket. The over the lip style sucks.

You can buy my tooth bar, I think it's 84"

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
You can buy my tooth bar, I think it's 84"
I was planning to measure my bucket and order the BXpanded Pirahna later today.

I seriously considered your kind offer, but it sounds like yours kind of sucks so I’m still going with the BXpanded. 🙂

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have to admit to having a Heavy Hitch clone for only one reason.....

It looks like something you would see in a Mad Max from Thunder Dome movie.....It's just that simple.

I have no need for it, nor do I keep it on my bucket, instead it just sits in the corner of the garage; However it was fun to build and will look cool if I ever put it on.

Paul

Attachments

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I was planning to measure my bucket and order the BXpanded Pirahna later today.

I seriously considered your kind offer, but it sounds like yours kind of sucks so I’m still going with the BXpanded. 🙂
No no, it's really good you might like it!
tooth.jpg

I just don't like how it hangs down about 4 inches below the bucket edge. It's a universal bucket tooth design so there is a gap all around the tooth. On the bottom edge it's basically a hook. All the crud gets stuck between the tooth and bucket edge.

I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it in 2015. Probably half price of what they are selling for now post covid!

Last edited:

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
I went with the BX expanded Piranha a couple of years ago and I have no complaints. No problems with gravel work, digging, back dragging etc. I have tires filled, 200lb wheel weights per side and mount a 1k ballast box (2300lbs rear ballast tota). So far no tire spin with the R4s except for mud.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
No no, it's really good you might like it!
View attachment 98535
I just don't like how it hangs down about 4 inches below the bucket edge. It's a universal bucket tooth design so there is a gap all around the tooth. On the bottom edge it's basically a hook. All the crud gets stuck between the tooth and bucket edge.

I'll sell it to you for what I paid for it in 2015. Probably half price of what they are selling for now post covid!
I could honestly see that working for applications the don’t involve back dragging or dealing with vegetation. For my purposes vegetation both above and below ground is part of the issue. I can see why that would be less than ideal for roots and grass. Likely no more effective than the gap toothed grapple I already have. And I thought about using the grapple but it’s a long bottom style that’s great for carrying brush and logs but not great as a root rake style for raking roots being it has to be curled pretty far forward to engage the teeth. It also won’t move dirt so I’d be swapping grapple/bucket constantly if I don’t have something on the bucket to more adequately deal with roots.

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
My EA toothbar is my favorite attachment. I've spread over 300 tons of gravel with it. It backdrags fine. It's far from a precision tool like a skid steer since I can't see the edge. If I could go back, I would've bought an EA bucket with built in tooth bar since it has more heaped capacity than my factory bucket. I cant carry as much as I would like without it spilling out.
PXL_20230102_143621091.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I have been pleased with my BXpanded Piranha bar. It arrived sharp, and it remains sharp despite being used in hard red Georgia clay with lots of softball to football sized rocks for over two years.

Same here. There may be others just as good, but I have zero complaints about my Piranha. It works very well, and it's no big deal to take it off or put it on.

Make a night and day difference when digging.

Reactions: 2 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I could honestly see that working for applications the don’t involve back dragging or dealing with vegetation. For my purposes vegetation both above and below ground is part of the issue. I can see why that would be less than ideal for roots and grass. Likely no more effective than the gap toothed grapple I already have. And I thought about using the grapple but it’s a long bottom style that’s great for carrying brush and logs but not great as a root rake style for raking roots being it has to be curled pretty far forward to engage the teeth. It also won’t move dirt so I’d be swapping grapple/bucket constantly if I don’t have something on the bucket to more adequately deal with roots.
1679566780487.jpeg

I am happier with this

• Love

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
FWIW, here is a review of various bars.

It's a pretty helpful video for me. The Piranha is clearly the winner if you don't mind getting cut by it. (Previous posters in other threads have pointed out how sharp the teeth are.). The reviewer didn't mention that issue. ;)

I don't want to deal with getting cut, so I'm staying with my standard bucket edge. I did a lot of digging last year with it. It worked pretty well.

The issue with the Heavy Hitch was interesting. Cutting below the bucket edge is probably good for some cases, but a handicap the rest of the time. I was leaning that way before watching the video. I think that is an issue that could be fixed, but it might require different angled teeth.

I was surprised how poorly the EA toothbar performed. Maybe an EA user could say why the tester was wrong. Otherwise, the EA bar seems pretty worthless unless the goal is to protect the factory edge.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
It's a pretty helpful video for me. The Piranha is clearly the winner if you don't mind getting cut by it. (Previous posters in other threads have pointed out how sharp the teeth are.). The reviewer didn't mention that issue. ;)

I don't want to deal with getting cut, so I'm staying with my standard bucket edge. I did a lot of digging last year with it. It worked pretty well.

The issue with the Heavy Hitch was interesting. Cutting below the bucket edge is probably good for some cases, but a handicap the rest of the time. I was leaning that way before watching the video. I think that is an issue that could be fixed, but it might require different angled teeth.

I was surprised how poorly the EA toothbar performed. Maybe an EA user could say why the tester was wrong. Otherwise, the EA bar seems pretty worthless unless the goal is to protect the factory edge.
So far, no cuts in over two years from the Piranha bar. I attribute my lack of blood loss to: using care around equipment and wearing proper clothing (work boots with synthetic safety toe, long pants, long sleeved shirt {I need sun protection too}, hat, glasses and gloves).

I just ordered some better work pants. My main source of blood loss comes from briars and multiflora rose bushes. It is amazing how a five foot tall briar patch can reach out and grab you, when you trying to mow it down with a rotary cutter (even backing into it). :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Ted did a comparative test of the EA Wicked and Piranha toothbars a couple of years ago. I went with the Wicked bolt on toothbar with no regrets. I wanted durability for brutally rocky ground and have a bolt on factory straight edge on the M6060 bucket. I had to drill eleven holes in the bucket to install the factory cutting edge. The wicked toothbar is on the MX bucket but of course they're interchangeable.

tooth_bar_14.jpg

cutting_edge_10.jpg

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
So far, no cuts in over two years from the Piranha bar. I attribute my lack of blood loss to: using care around equipment

Yeah, I haven't walked into mine, so... no cuts.

Really? Avoiding a very useful tool because you might get cut??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Really? Avoiding a very useful tool because you might get cut??? :rolleyes:
Funny thing, I'm able to dig fine with my L without a toothbar. ;). Maybe it would be different if I had a BX. :D I don't know. If you watched the video, that seemed to be the result of the person who tested the three toothbars with a stock bucket. That is, standard buckets can dig, too.

In any case, I don't buy every possible useful tool since they cost money. However, if I had it to do over, I might buy a toothbar instead of the ballast box that I never use. ;)

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Funny thing, I'm able to dig fine with my L without a toothbar. ;). Maybe it would be different if I had a BX. :D I don't know. If you watched the video, that seemed to be the result of the person who tested the three toothbars with a stock bucket. That is, standard buckets can dig, too.

In any case, I don't buy every possible useful tool since they cost money. However, if I had it to do over, I might buy a toothbar instead of the ballast box that I never use. ;)
The stock bucket will absolutely dig. I leveled a 30x30 foot site (about a 1.5-2 foot slope) using the standard bucket, box blade and a Bosch rotary laser. However, it went a little more quickly with the 30x15 and 12x12 sites (about the same slope on each) with the toothbar. I was surprised how well the leading edge of the stock bucket held up to the clay soil filled with rocks, but I feel better having the toothbar to protect the bucket's edge.

In addition to making digging a little faster, the toothbar greatly improved my ability to pop out small bushes - like wild privet.

It really depends on your uses/needs as to whether it is worth the money. At least, the Piranha bar is only about $300 (depends on bucket width).

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Don't think anybody suggested otherwise. But in some soils, they don't dig nearly as well as a toothed bucket.

That's why most heavy equipment uses toothed buckets.
Most have multiple buckets of multiple widths, too. At least those that I hired have.

Btw, I'm not saying I'll never buy a toothbar.

NCL4701

Equipment
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
9F1A4B98-8050-4409-9C4B-FF8D0A679863.jpeg

I started this so I suppose an update is appropriate. BXpanded Pirahna arrived today. Didn’t take time after work to fully install but had to at least see if it fit. Fits perfectly. Just need to punch a couple of holes in the sides of the bucket and it should be ready for action. I have a few projects for it but nothing immediate. If I can remember to do it I’ll follow up with a comparison of performance with and without the tooth bar. I have high hopes for its ability to cut roots and pop out small (3” and under) trees.

Reactions: 9 users

Hyperborean

Equipment
L3902, LP FM2560, EA WRG 55, Split-Fire 3403, Wallenstein BXM42, and more
Apr 26, 2023
Texas
I have a Heavy Hitch toothbar and like that I didn't have to drill any holes in the bucket; just held in place by screwing down the retaining bolts. I also like that the teeth on it are replaceable making long term use and maintenance easier compared to the others.