Best way to spread top soil

6869704x4

Equipment
L45TLB, 49 8N, 57 641, RTV-X1120D, Z422
Jun 29, 2011
SE, NM
I stopped by my local Kubota dealer today just to see if they rented box blades. They don’t. But they do rent York rakes for the 3-point hitch. Not sure if I should consider that. I’m definitely going to wait until we get some drier weather. I bought a couple of big tarps from Harbor Freight to cover the soil (I think we are getting more rain on Monday).
Just go after it with your FEL. If you mess up you can fix it. It's just dirt. With practice you'll become confident. I've become fairly decent dumping with the front of the bucket low to the ground going forward so it smooths the dirt as I'm moving. Then back drag in float with the bucket curled up or where you need it. My wife has become very good at smoothing dirt with the FEL just by doing it.

Reactions: 1 user

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I ordered the Heavy Hitch. If I was going to get a box blade, seems like the 54” would be most appropriate for the B2601 (at last from what I read). Is the Land Pride the one to get? I see EA has one called a Land Shark. Are they comparable? The Land Shark one costs about $100 more.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I ordered the Heavy Hitch. If I was going to get a box blade, seems like the 54” would be most appropriate for the B2601 (at last from what I read). Is the Land Pride the one to get? I see EA has one called a Land Shark. Are they comparable? The Land Shark one costs about $100 more.
Personally, I think EA makes a better product. I have the EA extreme duty box blade and its been a tank. If you go the land pride route, I'd stay away from the light duty (15 series) and go to the 25 series at least.

Box Blade1.JPG

Box Blade2.JPG

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Personally, I think EA makes a better product. I have the EA extreme duty box blade and its been a tank. If you go the land pride route, I'd stay away from the light duty (15 series) and go to the 25 series at least.

View attachment 97407

View attachment 97408
Is this the same one you bought? It looks a little different on the site:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Is this the same one you bought? It looks a little different on the site:
I believe it is. However, the ripper shanks are different from what I have. I think that they now use hardox in a different design. My shanks go thru the tube and and use a single pin to mount.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
I believe it is. However, the ripper shanks are different from what I have. I think that they now use hardox in a different design. My shanks go thru the tube and and use a single pin to mount.
Ok thanks! Would you agree that the 54” size would be best for my B2601?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok thanks! Would you agree that the 54” size would be best for my B2601?
Yes, unless you plan on using wheel spacers. Also, I'd go with something the same width as your bucket.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Yes, unless you plan on using wheel spacers. Also, I'd go with something the same width as your bucket.
I think my bucket is 60” but I may be mistaken. I’ll measure it.

I got some feedback earlier in the thread about when I should (and shouldn’t) plant the grass seed. Does that also apply to planting trees? I’m considering adding several Giant Thuja evergreens (I think that’s what they’re called) that will ultimately provide some more privacy. We spend a lot of time in the back yard in the summer with bbq and hot tub. The street behind my house is about 100 ft away and sits higher than my yard.There is no traffic in my development but everybody walking their dog or out for a jog always has to stop and look down to see what we’re doing. It’s just annoying. I wanted to plant the trees once my new well was installed, but now I’m worried that I should wait.

I’ll send a picture of the view I’m talking about and am open to any ideas about doing something for some privacy. I already built a rock wall out of the boulders we dug up for the water line trench from the well, but am not sure it will be enough.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: trees
providing the hole is 2-3x bigger than the root ball, have GOOD soil in it, best to plant in early spring.
water the new tree/hole very well ( soak... to get rid of air down there )
I did a midsummer transplant and every day for two weeks, hauled a 5 gallon pail of water with 6 ,1/4" holes over to it, every day around 7am. it took and now HIDES the concrete house across the street !

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

I got some feedback earlier in the thread about when I should (and shouldn’t) plant the grass seed. Does that also apply to planting trees? I’m considering adding several Giant Thuja evergreens (I think that’s what they’re called) that will ultimately provide some more privacy. We spend a lot of time in the back yard in the summer with bbq and hot tub. The street behind my house is about 100 ft away and sits higher than my yard.There is no traffic in my development but everybody walking their dog or out for a jog always has to stop and look down to see what we’re doing. It’s just annoying. I wanted to plant the trees once my new well was installed, but now I’m worried that I should wait.

I’ll send a picture of the view I’m talking about and am open to any ideas about doing something for some privacy. I already built a rock wall out of the boulders we dug up for the water line trench from the well, but am not sure it will be enough.
Green giants make an excellent screening tree. They grow fast (like 1.5-2ft /year) but they will get large quickly if that's what you want. They can be shaped nicely as well. The other positives with them are that they will tolerate not so great soil AND are deer RESISTANT.

There are several other arb species that I've had particularly good success with..."techny", and "elegantissima" are nice varieties. Another alternative for a nice "screen" would be Canadian hemlocks (if you can be certain that they are free of wooly adelgid infestation).

Spring is fine for planting any of these.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

You mention the Green Giant Arborvitae. Those get really big and are very hardy. Full sun is what they love. They do grow fast, but the estimate they give is in optimal conditions. You can plant those in spring or fall. We planted 10 last October along our driveway and probably add another 3 . The mild winter allowed them to set up very well.
Oh, and don't fertilize them straight away. But when you do, use a 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer. NOT the Holly-Tone for evergreens and Holly. Green Giants font like really acidic soil.
Resized_20221024_081318_51447958158913.jpeg

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Ok. Good to know. They would definitely be in full sunlight up along the back edge of the property.

My Heavy Hitch arrived today. I’ll unbox it tomorrow

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As far as when to plant trees or shrubs, best to do when they’re still dormant, but just before they start to grow again in the spring. In my area, it’s April or so.

I’ve had luck seeding grass about the same time.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
First, check grade and run off. I would regrade as necessary when its damp before putting any topsoil on it. Then add topsoil, then seed and add erosion control.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
First, check grade and run off. I would regrade as necessary when its damp before putting any topsoil on it. Then add topsoil, then seed and add erosion control.
Ok. Thanks. I’m going to order the EA 54” Extreme Duty box blade. I did a bunch of reading and it seems like a lot of folks run a FitRite hydraulic link with a box blade.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

View attachment 97407

View attachment 97408
I totaly agree with your assessment of EA quality.
Does anyone have an opinion of quality, for EA Land Shark attachments?
It would seem to me that the Land Shark line is likely somewhat scaled down in quality, to meet a price point.

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
Another question about planting trees. This time in front yard. Similar to what we want to do for privacy from the back yard, we were also talking about having a screen of trees 🌲 on one side of the front yard. When you sit on my front porch, you see my neighbor’s shop to the right.
F7724F26-B05B-45EE-9830-9A5875E02337.jpeg

834E3620-9D06-4655-A594-C4A562C60980.jpeg

Last edited:

racerboy

Equipment
B2601
May 10, 2021
NJ
The soil down at the bottom of the yard can get kind of soggy after a heavy rain. I don’t think the guy who built the house (that’s his shop across the street - he sold this house and bought land across the street) didn’t do the best with landscape drainage.

Last edited: