Chip DPF Delete Discussion

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Here's my take on the emissions scandal ... if it was really about lowering emissions all the military vehicles would have those systems on them. They don't... good for thee not for me. They know it's a hazard & could leave our soldiers at risk if broken down while at war. Just like hospitals with 21 out of 24 ambulances with the 6.0 or 6.4 out of service for emissions issues. Patients died on side of the road, hospitals were sued, Ford was sued, International was sued ... and the epa laughed & continued with more stringent emission laws. Fun fact ... cattle & hog farms in the US produce more emissions damaging to air pollution than all vehicles produced since 1920s ... large scale beef production is a real issue but is overlooked b/c of $$$ & lobbyists. Someone said show me how to follow the money ... well follow that trail & you'll find how corrupt the FDA & EPA really are.

I'm around cattle and the only emission I hear is a little gas. If that's killing us then Krystol burgers and chili should be banned immediately. More gas produced from eating there than all the cattle in the world.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Manpedal

Equipment
L2501
Sep 23, 2022
Ohio
I'm around cattle and the only emission I hear is a little gas. If that's killing us then Krystol burgers and chili should be banned immediately. More gas produced from eating there than all the cattle in the world.
To be clear, I wasn't ripping into farmers . . . it's a tough business with very narrow margins. I'm just stating facts from government websites and independent sources. Small farms are great and were the backbone of communities. Large scale cattle, pig, chicken, etc farms are killing the small farms and apparently the ozone a lot moreso than vehicles. But again, I'm not putting a fart filter on my animals nor is any other person. If you really look into what large scale farming does to the local streams, water table, air quality, etc you'll see what i'm talking about. Again i'm not knocking farmers, people have done what they had to do to stay in business. Just take a few minutes and research the damage large scale farming does (fertilizer runoff, waste/manure/urine) . . . i'm talking large factory farms. I'm as far from a greenpeace activist as you can get . . . so don't classify me there either.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Note how the fine state of California just enacted their new law making it illegal to register a diesel vehicle older than model year 2010, unless it has a gross weight of 14,000lbs or less. So basically you can still have an F-350 or smaller. F-450, any medium duty truck, and heavy duty truck, you will no longer be able to legally register, even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And of course it no longer has resale value (in CA) either. That type of law helps nobody.

Reactions: 3 users

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
Note how the fine state of California just enacted their new law making it illegal to register a diesel vehicle older than model year 2010, unless it has a gross weight of 14,000lbs or less. So basically you can still have an F-350 or smaller. F-450, any medium duty truck, and heavy duty truck, you will no longer be able to legally register, even if there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. And of course it no longer has resale value (in CA) either. That type of law helps nobody.
Same ignorance in NY. By 2025, you won`t be able to buy a heavy duty truck anymore, and also in 2025, you won`t be able to buy a gas, or oil fired furnace to heat your homes anymore. They expect everybody to buy heat pumps, and then install a new 400amp service to run the heat pump. I really can`t tell which state is the dumber of the two. But regardless, we just keep letting the gubbermint roll over us.

Reactions: 2 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Same ignorance in NY. By 2025, you won`t be able to buy a heavy duty truck anymore, and also in 2025, you won`t be able to buy a gas, or oil fired furnace to heat your homes anymore. They expect everybody to buy heat pumps, and then install a new 400amp service to run the heat pump. I really can`t tell which state is the dumber of the two. But regardless, we just keep letting the gubbermint roll over us.
Not to get political, but somehow the current governor of NY is worse than the previous. I'm in NH, not perfect but by far the best of the New England and mid-atlantic states. I travel into NY fairly regularly. Obviously I have to leave certain things behind that might normally be in the truck. There are so many troopers on I87 I am always amazed. VT is right there with CA and NY though.

Reactions: 3 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
They don't care about the people. It is totally obvious. And yet, those people? Keep re-electing the same type leadership over and over and over and over. I don't care how pretty that state is, I would not EVER live there. If someone offered me a job making $1,000,000/hr I would choose to go broke before living in that dump. Why would I want to live there? Everything that I do for "fun" hobbies is illegal and/or so heavily regulated that nobody can afford it anyway. So with that, only thing I could do is work, walk home, sleep, order my groceries in because I can't register an old vehicle so I can go get my own, then wake up, eat, work, repeat. Those states that ban everything are hurting themselves as a state, maybe lining their own pockets. It's almost as if these leaders are putting their own interests before their constituents' and that is not why they were "elected"--assuming of course that the election system works as designed....

The definition of ignorance is "not knowing". The definition of STUPID is "knowing, but doing it anyway".

On military vehicles, in a situation where the vehicles are used in areas that do not have def capability, or DPF cleaning capability like say over yonder in the sandbox, or out in the sticks somewhere in Asia, installing DEF or DPF on military vehicles is probably not a good idea. Actually it's my understanding that a lot of them are multi-fuel, they'll run on diesel kerosene jet-a etc. If you had a vehicle that was required to run DEF fluid, and the vehicle is sent to off somewhere for war, and they don't have DEF, the truck runs out, can't get none because of, you know, war, then the truck is disabled, goes into limp mode out in a firefight somehwere. That's probably not the best idea. Same for DPF.

They keep going after cars/trucks but ignoring the aircraft. Anyone care to guess how much a GE CF6-80 engine makes in comparison? It's often compared to many vehicles, and it's said that they're cleaner overall, but I guarantee you that it's not. It's smoke and mirrors. And how many CF6's are flying above you right now? Remembering that the CF6's aren't the only engines used....

They obviously don't care about "us" little guys.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

"Land of fruits and nuts"

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
DPF query....

Would injecting a wee bit of diesel,once in awhile keep the DPF clean(er) and not trigger a regen ?

just curious....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I would say it is all about control over stupid people that keep putting them back in office but that might turn political so I wont say anything about control and staying in power. ;

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
DPF query....

Would injecting a wee bit of diesel,once in awhile keep the DPF clean(er) and not trigger a regen ?

just curious....
I’m wondering why you would want to avoid a regen? It doesn’t stop you from working and is over in 10-15 minutes.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
DPF query....

just curious....
What you describe is exactly what occurs during an active regeneration, although the total amount of extra diesel is going to be quite a bit more than 'a wee little bit." If in fact you are wondering if shooting a few drops of diesel into the DPF every few hours would help prevent the need for an active regen, the answer is no. It takes high engine RPM and a considerable amount of diesel injected into the DPF to begin to build the extremely high temps in the DPF needed to cook off the accumulated soot, and this takes time. Once the high temp is reached, the process continues until the delta pressure differential sensors pre and post DPF equalize, or come close to equalizing. Starting an active regen and then shutting down the tractor during this process wastes fuel. If you are working the tractor hard and not idling a lot, you get more time between active regens. If you idle a lot or just do lower RPM work, your regens will be more frequent.

Reactions: 2 users

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I’m wondering why you would want to avoid a regen? It doesn’t stop you from working and is over in 10-15 minutes.
He's not wrong in wanting to avoid a regen. Each regen means your DPF is that much closer to needing to be professionally baked or replaced, and also each regen will also cause a small amount of diesel to be diluted into engine oil. Furthermore, during an active regen you are using more fuel and needing to keep the engine revved very high, and raw fuel is going straight through your turbocharger if your tractor is so equipped.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...On military vehicles, in a situation where the vehicles are used in areas that do not have def capability, or DPF cleaning capability like say over yonder in the sandbox, or out in the sticks somewhere in Asia, installing DEF or DPF on military vehicles is probably not a good idea. Actually it's my understanding that a lot of them are multi-fuel, they'll run on diesel kerosene jet-a etc. If you had a vehicle that was required to run DEF fluid, and the vehicle is sent to off somewhere for war, and they don't have DEF, the truck runs out, can't get none because of, you know, war, then the truck is disabled, goes into limp mode out in a firefight somehwere. That's probably not the best idea. Same for DPF.
Not running emissions equipment on modern diesel military equipment is a tacit admission of the unreliability (and added expense) that us mere consumers are required to bear, all to 'save the planet' of course. You could use the argument that the military doesn't use an SCR (DEF) system on their diesel equipment because of the possibility of not being able to get DEF in remote areas and having the vehicle shut down. However, argument doesn't hold true for other emissions systems such as a DPF or cooled EGR, which military vehicles also lack. Neither the EGR nor the DPF systems improve engine performance, they strictly are in place to control emissions but have the downside of creating serious reliability problems, which is of course why the military doesn't use them. I've heard sworn testimony from current top-level ranking military leaders that the biggest threat the US faces isn't foreign enemies, but rather is "climate change." The hypocrisy is rich, given if that really were the case, the military is not utilizing these longstanding diesel engine emissions controls devices. And you are 100% correct on aircraft emissions as well.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Thanks T for the info !
Another reason military may not have DPF, etc. is 'tactical' Since the regen process creates a LOT of heat, it'd be EASY to see( locate) the vehicles with IR camera tech, probably tell WHAT kind of vehicle from the 'heat signature'.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
He's not wrong in wanting to avoid a regen. Each regen means your DPF is that much closer to needing to be professionally baked or replaced, and also each regen will also cause a small amount of diesel to be diluted into engine oil. Furthermore, during an active regen you are using more fuel and needing to keep the engine revved very high, and raw fuel is going straight through your turbocharger if your tractor is so equipped.
I have 60 hours on my new tractor and have yet to experience a regen. Dealer says it’s because I’m running the RPMs right. It’s not a frequent process.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I have 60 hours on my new tractor and have yet to experience a regen. Dealer says it’s because I’m running the RPMs right. It’s not a frequent process.
You and I have the same tractor other than I opted for the cab. I bought it in June of 2022 - I have about 150 hours on it, and I don't keep track of regens. I believe I've had three if I had to guess. Mostly I use it in the summer for flail mowing and brush hogging which is wide open throttle under load, perfect for minimizing regens. However, if the off seasons it will be used for a bit of loader work, moving snow, mulch, etc. I don't worry about idling it. Your time between brand new and your first regen will be the longest because you have a perfectly clean new DPF. The interval may shorten up a bit after that. These machines can also do what is called a "passive regen" where you are working your machine hard enough to generate enough heat in the DPF to just naturally burn off soot without adding any fuel to the mix. That is the best kind of regeneration.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
You and I have the same tractor other than I opted for the cab. I bought it in June of 2022 - I have about 150 hours on it, and I don't keep track of regens. I believe I've had three if I had to guess. Mostly I use it in the summer for flail mowing and brush hogging which is wide open throttle under load, perfect for minimizing regens. However, if the off seasons it will be used for a bit of loader work, moving snow, mulch, etc. I don't worry about idling it. Your time between brand new and your first regen will be the longest because you have a perfectly clean new DPF. The interval may shorten up a bit after that. These machines can also do what is called a "passive regen" where you are working your machine hard enough to generate enough heat in the DPF to just naturally burn off soot without adding any fuel to the mix. That is the best kind of regeneration.
Thanks for this information. Like you, most of my summer is is rotary cutting with some blade work on the road. Winter is snow plowing. Loader work is year round but a small percentage of the use.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks for this information. Like you, most of my summer is is rotary cutting with some blade work on the road. Winter is snow plowing. Loader work is year round but a small percentage of the use.
I like the MX. I had an MX4800 non-turbo open station a few years back and it was a great machine, totally reliable, and I racked up the hours.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I like the MX. I had an MX4800 non-turbo open station a few years back and it was a great machine, totally reliable, and I racked up the hours.
I haven’t found anything not to like. In the winter I wish I had bought the cab model, but I know I would destroy it in the summer when cutting between the trees. It seems so right sized for my purposes and I especially appreciate the stability compared to previous models I’ve owned. Also the larger front wheels smooth out the ride.