Who's Using a Trickle Charger / Battery Tender?

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
My L3560 LE is only a year old and thus has a newish battery still. I don't really use the tractor much during the winter and winters here are relatively mild, at least compared to those way up north. I am wondering if I should get a trickle charger / battery tender to maintain my tractor battery over the longer periods of inactivity? Thoughts or suggestions from long time tractor owners please. Thxs.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I use one on a Classic car stored in a bldg, but in the cold. I also use one on my TG1860--same shed. (gets down to -30*C here in the winter) I find it extends the life of the batteries of these 2 machines. (but I never start them in the winter as the bldg is buried in snow.) I used to never use a tender and would only get 1-2yrs out of the TG1860 battery - now I get 3-4yrs.

I also now have one on the Harley, which is parked ~5 months a year. It's inside, in the warmth, and with no current draw of any systems after only a few months (w/o the tender) the battery is down sometimes to the point it won't even crank over. With the tender, I never have to worry about that.

So, yeah, I highly recommend a "tender" (not a trickle charger)_

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yep. Have one on a vehicle currently, have had a few on other vehicles in the past, and plan to get more. They save a bunch on battery replacement.

I think it's worth the time to install them with hard-wired connections, rather than just using the clamps. And remember, they don't have to be connected to the battery directly. I like to connect to the nearest place where the battery cables connect. That way, if I need to do anything with the battery, I'm not messing with the BatteryMinder connections.

Reactions: 3 users

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I have ruined a few batteries over the years using a tender that overcharged and dried out a FLA battery. I am in NH 6 months then AZ 6 months. My solution is to run them on everything I have stored in NH (lawnmower, BX tractor, tacoma, Miata, dump trailer, motorcycle) and connect them back to a power strip which I run for a few days each month instead of continuously. I could put it on a timer but my son checks the house and manages it for me. I tend to get 5+ years and sometimes much more out of the batteries. It gets cold in NH. In AZ I leave the batteries in but disconect the negative post and they do OK in the heat. A dead battery in the cold will freeze and make a huge corrosive mess. A disconnected battery in the heat may dry somewhat but don’t seem to discharge fully. I can start my 4Runner easily after I return and reconnect the battery.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My L3560 LE is only a year old and thus has a newish battery still. I don't really use the tractor much during the winter and winters here are relatively mild, at least compared to those way up north. I am wondering if I should get a trickle charger / battery tender to maintain my tractor battery over the longer periods of inactivity? Thoughts or suggestions from long time tractor owners please. Thxs.
I have a mixed bag of 12 of them.
Some Battery Tender, Some Battery Minder, some Battery Tender Jr.
Have been using them for 10+ years.
If I think a particular battery will go unused for more than one month, I hook it up.

Also have a 6V unit for my old 8N, and have a 48V unit for my golf cart.

Reactions: 4 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If I am not going to run a machine for a week, I will put a tender on it for a few days.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Two of my trailers have built in battery minders, but last year I bought the model in the link below to maintain the battery that I use with the Jon Dow 106 gallon fuel storage system. So far so good.

A few months ago I replaced both batteries in my F250 with Optima batteries due to charging issues with the "original" batteries. I was going to take both to the local dump but decided to hook them up to the battery tender. After a few days it became apparent that one was bad, and one was good. That was a nice surprise.

Reactions: 1 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I have four Ctek battery maintainers; my Corvette Z06 is on one all winter and my diesel standby generator has one on it year round. The other two maintainers rotate between the tractor, Kubota F2690, and the other 3 vehicles as needed.

Definitely go with a proper battery maintainer, NOT a trickle charger, and if you have AGM batteries in anything then make sure that the maintainer can be set to the higher voltage used by most AGM batteries.

Rodger

Reactions: 1 users

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Anyone used one tender with multiple vehicles by parallel connecting them?
Don't try that, the batteries won't be the same and you will potentially end up with issues like one battery trying to charge another draining both in the process. It is the same reason you should always replace vehicles using dual batteries (like diesel pickups) in pairs because batteries operated in parallel either need a smart isolator or they need to be reasonably well matched.

Rodger

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Yup, tractor which runs all winter but really needs a full charge to start on a really cold day, generator and camper deep cell.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Another vote for the Noco Genius battery maintainers, I use 6 of them for ATV, jet ski, UTV, tractors and cars.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Buy a maintainer with desulfating mode. Don't really need the desulfating mode until the battery is a year or so old, but it will keep a battery going longer without replacing.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
Anyone used one tender with multiple vehicles by parallel connecting them?
I have 1 Battery Minder connected to my Kubota M9540 and LX2610.
I have 1 Battery Minder connected to 4 100AH solar batteries.
I have 1 Battery Minder conneccted to my Kubota Zero-turn + Swisher Rough cut mower + diesel tank pump battery.
I have 1 Battery Minder connected to 4 trail camera 12V SLA batteries.
I have kept a Battery Minder on any battery that is not frequently used and have had good success - the 2007 Kubota M9540 has the original battery - my 2010 Toyota Tundra has the original battery - my 2010 Bobcat S250 has it's original battery.
The only batteries that I have not good success with are for my 2000 Polaris 500 Sportsman - for some reason they only last 4 to 5 years before needing replacement.
I always connect batteries of comparable size and amperage as recommended by the manufacturer of the Battery Minders and 4 seems to be the maximum number of batteries that will successfully be maintained by one Battery Minder.

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
Thanks, that's what I figured. Never really thought about it much before but like many here, we've got some really cold temps coming in the next few days. I didn't have regular electric service in our barn last year so it wasn't even a consideration then. I haven't driven my car lately (need to swap my summer tires for the winter tires and haven't had the time) so I'm afraid the battery may be drained down too low and that all made me think of the tractor and our Polaris Ranger now that I have power in the barn. Think I'll order three of them from Amazon today.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Another vote for Noco. Stored vehicle on one thru winter months. Rotate batteries thru other ones throughout the year..snowmobiles not used in the summer

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana