Who's Using a Trickle Charger / Battery Tender?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Anyone used one tender with multiple vehicles by parallel connecting them?

That is totally WRONG way to wire them up unless ALL batteries are the same make/model/condition. even then they'll only be charged up to whichever one is the worst.
One battery tender(only has 2 wires from factory ) cannot properly charge more than one battery at a time.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have 6 hooked up as we speak - 1 boat, 3 jet skis, 2 kubotas.

Been using this brand for years:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...st_dp_nofrnas_sto&ref_=ast_dp_bln_nofrnas_sto
Those look to be good battery tenders. I'd like to get a couple more so will try one of those models next time. I have no complaints with the one I have but I'm always interested in trying other brands ... unless it's a tractor of course. ;)
I agree - - like those. Other OTT folks mentioned NOCO as well.

Smart charge down to 0 volts and other nice features.

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Every vehicle I own but one - motorcycle, ATV, UTV, tractors, trucks - all have a battery maintainer connected. Only one not connected is my F150 and that's because it is a daily driver.

Been using them for years. Especially with the smaller batteries like in the motorcycle and ATV, my records show using the maintainers has essentially doubled battery life. I have leads permanently connected to the batteries so plugging in the maintainer just takes a second.
battery maintainer lead.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
I have three hooked up .One on the Bx, one on the Gravely and one on my Harley. All are plugged into a surge protector then into the wall socket.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks, that's what I figured. Never really thought about it much before but like many here, we've got some really cold temps coming in the next few days. I didn't have regular electric service in our barn last year so it wasn't even a consideration then. I haven't driven my car lately (need to swap my summer tires for the winter tires and haven't had the time) so I'm afraid the battery may be drained down too low and that all made me think of the tractor and our Polaris Ranger now that I have power in the barn. Think I'll order three of them from Amazon today.
If you have a COSTCO nearby, they had them on sale two weeks ago.
Not sure about now!

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
My new Kubota F2690 was delivered last Friday in a light snowstorm and it came with a connector for the Ctek maintainer already connected to the battery, very convenient for me!

I need to change the connector on my standby generator to the same permanent style.

Rodger
AC4I7564.jpg

AQ9I4257.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I use a couple of Diehard Brand maintainers. They claim to have desulfating capability.
Screenshot_20221222-195345.png

KKBL

Equipment
L2501 HST QA 525 loader, 42" forks, brush hog, grader/box/back blades
Jan 5, 2022
Girard, PA
My L3560 LE is only a year old and thus has a newish battery still. I don't really use the tractor much during the winter and winters here are relatively mild, at least compared to those way up north. I am wondering if I should get a trickle charger / battery tender to maintain my tractor battery over the longer periods of inactivity? Thoughts or suggestions from long time tractor owners please. Thxs.
I have two Schumacher fully automatic battery maintainers. One is used for a 8 or 9 year old battery on an antique car that is stored 6 months each year - that battery works fine every spring. The other one can be used on the tractors and other batteries that are not used regularly to keep them ready to use. I have even been able to rejuvenate several batteries that would normally be considered to be beyond saving with them.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Definitely.
I use a Harborfreight trickle charger on a timer with a diode in the positive wire to prevent current drainback when the timer is off. I've used this system for years on my motorcycles as well.

Whatever charger/trickle you use, check the acid-water level regularly on battery types on which you can access this. On those completely sealed types (glued all together), I'm not aware of a way to check the fluid.

It's a good practice to check a battery for corrosion, and fluid level anyway to prevent heartache!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Has anyone actually figured out if you save any money using a battery maintainer on your machines? You have the cost of the maintainer plus, the power to run it. That adds up to quite a bit of money over time. Does it actually save any money versus just changing batteries out when needed with a higher quality battery.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Optimate and Battery Tenders here.
Though my little tractor is stored far from the house and no power, so I have a solar panel and charger. Better than nothing.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Has anyone actually figured out if you save any money using a battery maintainer on your machines? You have the cost of the maintainer plus, the power to run it. That adds up to quite a bit of money over time. Does it actually save any money versus just changing batteries out when needed with a higher quality battery.
I won't answer that (too much math first thing this morning), but when I want to go use my:
tractor
classic car
motorcycle
or
lawn mower

the CONVENIENCE of knowing that it'll start is worth a lot to me, rather than making a 1.5hr run into town and back, hauling a battery with me, finding the one I need(maybe several stores), plunking down $100-$200 (depending) and the long customer lineups, then back home, install the thing, hope I didn't get a dud.

Meanwhile, I could've been
tractoring
Sunday driving in my classic car
carving the twisties on my bike
or
mowing the lawn

It's an easy calculation for me (without using any math)

Reactions: 4 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
My L3560 LE is only a year old and thus has a newish battery still. I don't really use the tractor much during the winter and winters here are relatively mild, at least compared to those way up north. I am wondering if I should get a trickle charger / battery tender to maintain my tractor battery over the longer periods of inactivity? Thoughts or suggestions from long time tractor owners please. Thxs.
I've hard wired trickle charger quick connects to my bikes and ZTR. I make it a habit to plug in each machine at the beginning of each month for top ups. If you can't get to the machines for months on end you might want to consider pulling the battery and storing it appropriately. You will still want to do top ups.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Seems most of these 'maintainers' are rated for around 2 amps and cost $50 more or less. 'Magical' numbers,super cheap to make, very high profit.
$50 is about 1/2 the cost of a new ,small battery these days. But if you share it with say 3 vehicles , the cost goes down even after buying the extra cabling.
Actual 'cost of use' is really pennies per month as they do not draw a lot of power. Even if on full (2 amps..), 24/7, it'll take 2 days to use 1kWh of energy,which for me is 25 cents, so operating cost is 1/2 cent per hour. A 'maintainer' is never on 'full' all the time, so real cost will be far less. You could use a 'Kill-a-Watt' meter for a month to see energy use.heck the meter will use more !
I pull the batteries out of the 'not in winter' machines, store in 45*F garage and 'round robin' charge them with my 20 year old, homemade SCR based charger. You have to understand that a 'maintainer' is NOT a 'battery charger'. It's designed to keep a fully charged battery 'topped up'.

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Costco had the 4.5 amp Battery Tender on sale a couple weeks ago for $36. Kicking myself I did not buy 2. Especially after getting home and looking them up on Amazon and the like and finding out they're $100 plus! Still regular price is good $46. I keep one on the G2160 all winter on a remote (wifi) controlled socket out in the back garage. I have another wired into the battery on my generator so when I want to set it up for a few days to top off the starting battery I simply plug it in. But it's one of the nicer ones from Harbor Freight

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have a solar Battery Tender on my shed that I keep my daughter’s riding mower battery on all winter. My Kubota Z422 battery is on my basement bench hooked to a 5 bank charger that I bought when I had more toys. That one was made in England 🏴󠁧 if I recall.
my BX 25DLB has its original 2013 battery that JJ’s keeps on keeping on…I do use a block heater for the BX so it turns over no problem.