New family member! What did I miss?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The REAL reason for this thread is that the checkbook is open for now (read here... wifey is okay with spending the money to get what I need/want all at once), but that won't last forever. After a bit it I'll have to space them out so as to not draw fire so to speak.
As long as your "checkbook is open"......and before it runs out of check blanks......

Tractor Lift.jpg

A "lift" sure makes maintenance, cleaning and repairs so much easier!!
I should've done this 20 yrs ago. Crawling underneath on the concrete floor isn't so bad. But trying to get up and the days spent recuperating from it were not so good!! :LOL:

The tractor with implements, cars, pickup, 4-wheeler, 48 Willys, Army Mule, neighbor's compact tractor, etc....all find their need to be elevated.

Reactions: 5 users

Rick479

Equipment
B2601, loader, box blade, grapple
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Unless you already have one you should get a digital multimeter and learn how to use it.

Most requests for help on here are for 'no-start' issues.
It's just about always a poor high current connection or an interlock switch gone wonky.
Nothing wrong with these tractors, they all do that.

Enjoy yours!
Got it, thanks. Long time telecommunications industry worker... got the multimeter covered!

Reactions: 1 user

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
As long as your "checkbook is open"......and before it runs out of check blanks......

View attachment 92217

A "lift" sure makes maintenance, cleaning and repairs so much easier!!
I should've done this 20 yrs ago. Crawling underneath on the concrete floor isn't so bad. But trying to get up and the days spent recuperating from it were not so good!! :LOL:

The tractor with implements, cars, pickup, 4-wheeler, 48 Willys, Army Mule, neighbor's compact tractor, etc....all find their need to be elevated.
Good suggestion, but I think probably out of the scope for now. While I absolutely agree with your logic and reasons, I'll have to dog it out with a creeper for now!

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Consider the area below the grill guard, sticks and branches can get up there and cause damage. Lown performance make a lower "chin strap guard", combine this with a grill guard and you are well protected.

Good luck with your new tractor, you will find lot's of uses for it.
View attachment 92200
View attachment 92201
Exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
A hat.

OR a T-shirt, if you must.

Dunno how people think they can operate a tractor without the proper hat.....

:D

Welcome!
Lol, got a hat from the dealer with the buy... and have a few others as back up. T shirts in good supply too!

• Haha

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Trailer hitch receiver. I move trailers around with it, but it's other main job is for skidding logs out of the forest. And occasional subsoiler.
Nice. I do plan on moving some logs and, given how tight it is between trees on the property in places, I may indeed need to drag a few. I was thinking a clevis on the draw bar and chain... would that work also or would the hitch just work better? No need to move trailers at this time.

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
Congrats.

I agree rotary cutter or flail to keep it from being overrun.

Loaded tires, wheel spacers, tool carrier. Agree with brush guard. I'd also add guards for your hydraulics and fuel filter.

Some way to carry a chain and a way to hook it to your draw bar. Bucket hooks. I attached an ATV basket to my rops to carry items. Work lights, roof. Fire extinguisher.

Depending on what QH you got, maybe bushings.
Okay, wow... lots of good items here.

Got the tires filled prior to delivery, covered.

Going to order wheel spacers, but wanted to see how stable it was before jumping. Suggestions as to width? Do I go the full 3" on each side or should I keep it shorter?

Got the fire extinguisher.

Going to add lights to the ROPS, but don't plan on being out at any time to need them at this point.

Got the bucket hooks yesterday, have to install them.

Roof... hmmm, didn't think about that one, but probably a good idea doing tree work.

I really like the ATV basket idea! Have to look around for something that will work.

I toyed with the idea of the rotary or flail, but by and large I'm going to keep the property somewhat pristine with just the walking paths through it if possible. That being said, I will probably have to do some clearing work at some point so...

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
congrats. Agree with the suggestions above on toothbar, steering wheel knob. I'll throw another option out to you...if you are planning on taking down lots of trees, maybe consider a stump grinder.
Yeah, I looked at those but it appears the 2601 doesn't have the hydraulic pressure to run one on the fornt (that I've seen anyway). I guess I could to a rear PTO. Either way they're pretty pricey for the amount I'd use it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Trailer hitch receiver. I move trailers around with it, but it's other main job is for skidding logs out of the forest. And occasional subsoiler.
Did you make those lynch pin keepers, or did you buy them?
If bought, please tell me where.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Okay, wow... lots of good items here.

Got the tires filled prior to delivery, covered.

Going to order wheel spacers, but wanted to see how stable it was before jumping. Suggestions as to width? Do I go the full 3" on each side or should I keep it shorter?

Got the fire extinguisher.

Going to add lights to the ROPS, but don't plan on being out at any time to need them at this point.

Got the bucket hooks yesterday, have to install them.

Roof... hmmm, didn't think about that one, but probably a good idea doing tree work.

I really like the ATV basket idea! Have to look around for something that will work.

I toyed with the idea of the rotary or flail, but by and large I'm going to keep the property somewhat pristine with just the walking paths through it if possible. That being said, I will probably have to do some clearing work at some point so...

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Did you get a fire extinguisher with a metal valve and handle?
The big box store extinguishers are junk!
The plastic valve/handle assembly will become brittle, and will break when you activate it.
Lots of history on this!

Reactions: 1 users

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Did you make those lynch pin keepers, or did you buy them?
If bought, please tell me where.
I made them out of some spare SS cable kit pieces I had hanging around.
And yes, they've saved me many a lynch pin fallng to the forest floor never to be found.
Those wayward bush sticks and branches take an eventually pricey toll!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My favorite attachment (and most used & appreciated) are my brush forks. They have made clean up around the acreage much easier & faster.

Post #45, & 58-63

IMG_0082.JPG

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Nice. I do plan on moving some logs and, given how tight it is between trees on the property in places, I may indeed need to drag a few. I was thinking a clevis on the draw bar and chain... would that work also or would the hitch just work better? No need to move trailers at this time.
The 3-point can be raised and lowered so it's a handy feature for attaching and lifting logs with the chain.

Rick479

Equipment
Dec 2, 2022
Benton, Arkansas
My favorite attachment (and most used & appreciated) are my brush forks. They have made clean up around the acreage much easier & faster.

Post #45, & 58-63

View attachment 92245
Thanks, didn't even see those as an option. I avoided the clamp on forks because I don't want to put a smile on the bucket, and I do have the grapple, so I think I'm good on that one.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Lol, got a hat from the dealer with the buy... and have a few others as back up. T shirts in good supply too!
Winter is coming. You need a sweatshirt 😄
For the fire protection, I prefer the CO2 over dry Chem. Not particularly useful for brush so I bring out the ABC extinguisher for that. But if my car, truck, motorcycle or tractor catches ablaze I want a no mess solution.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
For the fire protection, I prefer the CO2 over dry Chem. .... if my car, truck, motorcycle or tractor catches ablaze I want a no mess solution.

Yep.

Bonus - you can use in the intake of a runaway diesel with no harm to the engine. No oxygen, no fire, no more runaway. Problem solved. Well, the immediate problem, anyway. Still have to troubleshoot the reason for the runaway, but at least you don't have a trashed engine.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Winter is coming. You need a sweatshirt 😄
For the fire protection, I prefer the CO2 over dry Chem. Not particularly useful for brush so I bring out the ABC extinguisher for that. But if my car, truck, motorcycle or tractor catches ablaze I want a no mess solution.
CO2 extinguishers are absolutely the best for equipment fires.
The problem: CO2 extinguishers are EXPENSIVE!
To save machinery, and/or lives, I choose dry chemical extinguishers, of larger size,..... and multiples of them!

The dry chemical potential mess is significant, but the primary issue is to have sufficient capability readily available to extinguish a fire!
Dry chemical powder CAN be cleaned up.
Items destroyed by fire cannot be cleaned up!

Dry chemical extinguishers should be inverted at least once each year, and wacked with a short piece of 2x4 or similar, to break up the settled powder inside.

Last edited:

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I also have a "ratchet rake" for the sweet little Ford, that I have never used.

For a B2601 though, it does seem like a tooth bar might be a very good idea.

My Piranha tooth bar made all the difference in the world for my BX25. A major game changer when it comes to moving dirt.

I recently got a Ratchet Rake, and I'm really impressed. Rick, if you have any need to groom gravel or level ground, get the Ratchet Rake!

Check out some YouTube videos on it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yep.

Bonus - you can use in the intake of a runaway diesel with no harm to the engine. No oxygen, no fire, no more runaway. Problem solved. Well, the immediate problem, anyway. Still have to troubleshoot the reason for the runaway, but at least you don't have a trashed engine.
Excellent point! I didn't add that bonus nugget! CO2 can be compressed so no worries running it through the engine.