New family member! What did I miss?

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
CO2 extinguishers are absolutely the best for equipment fires.
The problem: CO2 extinguishers are EXPENSIVE!
To save machinery, and/or lives, I choose dry chemical extinguishers, of larger size,..... and multiples of them!

The dry chemical potential mess is significant, but the primary issue is to have sufficient capability readily available to extinguish a fire!
Dry chemical powder CAN be cleaned up.
Items destroyed by fire cannot be cleaned up!

Dry chemical extinguishers should be inverted at least once each year, and wacked with a short piece of 2x4 or similar, to break up the settled powder inside.
Maybe you are thinking of Halon? My 5lb CO2s were only $100 more than their powder equivalent. The 5 lb Halon in the shop was $600.
Also don't forget that the contents of dry chemical extinguishers can be corrosive. Especially when exposed to moisture. Any little bit in electrical connectors is likely to cause issues later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe you are thinking of Halon? My 5lb CO2s were only $100 more than their powder equivalent. The 5 lb Halon in the shop was $600.

5Lb. CO2 at $100 more each, than powder equivalent would be a big $ difference for me.

I have FIVE 10lb. dry chem., ONE 20lb. dry chem. , One 5lb. dry chem.(tractor), and FOUR 2.5lb. dry chem.
Halon is crazy expensive (used in airplanes)!

For the potential issue of the dry chem. corrosion, I'll take my chances.
I want the maximum capability to put the fire out...... FIRST!

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I like your basket, where did you purchase it? I found a website called Black Widow that had lots of items, but nothing like yours. thanks
I used the following: - Rage Powersport Products ATVFB-3713

Also used: - Black Widow ATV front rack, I purchased a total of 3 and fitted one to my L3200, L3900 and MX5800. Clamp hardware was purchased from Menards.

I normally carry a chain saw, gas and bar oil with me at all times on my tractor, as I have a lot of woodland.

It looks like they changed the model slightly but here is a current model that is on sale.

Reactions: 1 user