What is this........?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
OK, here is the deal.

I failed to notice the bracket that holds the flap was bent upward and not allowing the notch in the flap to be in the position it is supposed to be.

After bending it back down....it is clear it is supposed to contact the Joy Stick lever when in the neutral position and prevent lowering of the boom, curling or dumping of the bucket. You can still lift the boom.

Had I been more observant....this entire thread would have been unnecessary.

Open your Eyes Big Dummy! :confused:

Sorry guys.

Flint.

Safety Block.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Well when something has the appearance of an ‘afterthought’ you cant beat yourself up too much for not immediately grasping its brilliance..😒😂

If it were a better thought out part it probably wouldnt have been damaged and then its purpose would have been obvious. 🤷‍♂️

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Well when something has the appearance of an ‘afterthought’ you cant beat yourself up too much for not immediately grasping its brilliance..😒😂

If it were a better thought out part it probably wouldnt have been damaged and then its purpose would have been obvious. 🤷‍♂️
I appreciate the kind words....but this time I was just being 'stupid'. 😟

Old age does that to you sometimes. Get up in the morning and eat a big bowl of stupid.

Should have seen it right away....and I'm a retired engineer for Christ's sake.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I've got that on my BX2230 and I've flipped it up when using snowblower so I can raise and lower, but have it down all summer when deck is mounted. I do not have a front bucket.

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
The fact that it was damaged suggests, to me, that it served it's purpose at least once

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Put some class on that tractor and have it show chrome plated!
Haha.....that would be like putting lipstick on a pig. :ROFLMAO:

No matter how I might adorn it....it will still lack class.

No, this model (back in the day) was built to work, be miserly on fuel consumption and be relatively easy to work on/repair. Kubota hit the mark in all those areas in my opinion.

My Wife would probably argue I am a lot like that tractor. Nothing 'Classy' about either one, but we both (me and tractor) 'Clean up Pretty Good'. :)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
That thought occurred to me as well. The notch (if added) was very well done. It looks to be a factory stamping...and I believe it was always there, but can't say for certain.

To answer your question, if there were no notch the flap would contact the lever enough to apply pressure...but would not raise the the boom because the valve spool is not that sensitive. There is a little movement in the lever (in all directions) before the spool reacts.

With the flap down....I can raise the boom unimpeded and lower it at a fairly brisk pace but not as quickly as if the flap were up. I can not curl or dump the bucket at all... despite there being some side to side movement of the flap.

In essence....I understand 'what' it does, but I don't know 'why' it is needed/wanted. A safety feature of some sort I guess?
But you cannot use 'float' with it down. You can check this without anything running. Raise the flap, and see if there's a detent when you push the stick all the way forward that will hold the stick there. Lower the flap and see if you cannot. It may be there to prevent hitting float when loading a dump truck or trailer. If you engage Float, that boom will drop like a stone if it's raised. That gag plate will prevent that, if I'm reading what you say right. I've hit float on mine with a bucket full of dirt raised. I was pretty impressed how fast it came down. You'd do a lot of damage to something if you did that while loading a hauler, most probably the majority of it to your loader. Float is extremely handy for back-dragging, but I'm not sure if it was a real thing on a tractor as old as yours.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I just looked closer at your picture. The answer is on the lable right below the stick. With that gag plate down, no way you're pushing that stick into float. My guess is it was put there as a safety for off loading into containers or haulers. Try what I said. Push the stick all the way forward and see if you feel a click when it hits the detent, and if the detent holds it forward. Then, put the gag down, and see if you can reach the detent. Betcha can't.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
So it IS the same as the lock on my stick, except mine prevents ANY movement of the stick, including raising the loader. Mine is by my right knee. If I'm not using the loader, I often lock it because my knee hits the stick when I turn to look behind me.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Mine is actually a thick ring on the loader stick thats held up with a hairpin through the loader stick. If you remove the hairpin the ring falls down into the ‘gate’ and wont let the stick move in any direction. I have never once touched it. 😂

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
But you cannot use 'float' with it down. You can check this without anything running. Raise the flap, and see if there's a detent when you push the stick all the way forward that will hold the stick there. Lower the flap and see if you cannot. It may be there to prevent hitting float when loading a dump truck or trailer. If you engage Float, that boom will drop like a stone if it's raised. That gag plate will prevent that, if I'm reading what you say right. I've hit float on mine with a bucket full of dirt raised. I was pretty impressed how fast it came down. You'd do a lot of damage to something if you did that while loading a hauler, most probably the majority of it to your loader. Float is extremely handy for back-dragging, but I'm not sure if it was a real thing on a tractor as old as yours.
Seems you nailed it.....!

It will hit a detent and a float mode (at least without pump power) with the flap up, so I do have float mode.

It is NOW apparent it is supposed to prevent me from using any mode except to raise the boom.

Spool Function.jpg