Tractor shed lemons to lemonaid

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a quick question on roof trusses I am building for the small shed so the span is 9 ft wall to wall and 10 ft overall. I am building the truss in the picture but realized that most of the pics show the top chord passing by the bottom chord and I started and would prefer to leave the bottom chord pass by the top chords. like in this picture. I will use strapping and hurricane braces. the building will have strong wind pressure and some snow. I am using clear plastic panels for a roof. 24 inch trusses with 24" strapping
Is it finished now?
This is mid November, and the Fundy winds with snow are about to blow!

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Update -I still have to put up the battens and the sliding door to build but the cost of the building is done overall. the 20 x24 ft building cost just over 11000.00 all in. The lumber with the exception of the trusses all came from within a mile of my property the trusses were purchased and took 4 1/2 months to get. I did put in two clear panels for the roof to get some light in the shed. I wish I had used the steel roof guy for the clear panels on the small shed. it would have saved quite a bit of money.
DSC_0074_01.JPG
DSC_0075_03.JPG
DSC_0075_03.JPG
P1000605.JPG
I am including a picture of the small shed with clear plastic roof. Even with hiring an engineer (which was a great experience because I learned a lot from him) using rough local lumber saved a considerable amount of money

Reactions: 2 users

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Is it finished now?
Ha i was typing while you were typ
Is it finished now?
I was typing the same time you were asking I guess great minds think alike

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Update -I still have to put up the battens and the sliding door to build but the cost of the building is done overall. the 20 x24 ft building cost just over 11000.00 all in. The lumber with the exception of the trusses all came from within a mile of my property the trusses were purchased and took 4 1/2 months to get. I did put in two clear panels for the roof to get some light in the shed. I wish I had used the steel roof guy for the clear panels on the small shed. it would have saved quite a bit of money. View attachment 90702 View attachment 90703 View attachment 90703 View attachment 90704 I am including a picture of the small shed with clear plastic roof. Even with hiring an engineer (which was a great experience because I learned a lot from him) using rough local lumber saved a considerable amount of money
Looks very nice!
How far up the Bay are you?
Above Digby?

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
Spruce is.... "not graded as structural lumber in the US".
Really?
SPF is THE MOST COMMON lumber used as structural lumber throughout the US.
SPF is the acronym for Spruce/Pine/Fir.
I don't see how someone can say that spruce isn't structural lumber in the USA. Here in the Northeast most homes are 2x4 spruce to 2x12. I have a large home, and it is all spruce except for the walls and floors.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I don't see how someone can say that spruce isn't structural lumber in the USA. Here in the Northeast most homes are 2x4 spruce to 2x12. I have a large home, and it is all spruce except for the walls and floors.
spruce is excellent building lumber
P1000621_01.JPG

the county building inspector came out today and approved the building for final inspection. all that is left are the battens and door knobs. New home for my tractor and attachments. The van is back in the garage for the first time this year.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I was amused when I read that also…. They built airplanes out of it for the last 100 years….many of which are still flying…and some still under construction.

Wood…the Original Composite.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was amused when I read that also…. They built airplanes out of it for the last 100 years….many of which are still flying…and some still under construction.

Wood…the Original Composite.
Sitka spruce for A/C!

Reactions: 1 user

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
im an idiot what are bigfoots?

Quick update. the concrete work is done 2 slabs and 11 bigfoot and piers all of the rough lumber for the two buildings and all of the concrete work with rebar grid foam plastic nails screws and labor I am at about 7000.00 and still have the roof trusses and steel roofing and doors and windows to purchase. still hoping to get the two buildings built and the shed moved onto concrete for 11K but it maybe more. Obviously my fork lift skills need some work the 2x4s started out in nice piles and ended up with pick up sticks

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A "Bigfoot" is a black plastic injection molded concrete form that is sold as a footing for sonotubes.
It is a very unique system that was developed by an inventor in Nova Scotia in the mid-late 90's.
The "Bigfoot" system is patented, and has become widely available, and very successful.

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Thanks. if only i had a 20" auger :)

A "Bigfoot" is a black plastic injection molded concrete form that is sold as a footing for sonotubes.
It is a very unique system that was developed by an inventor in Nova Scotia in the mid-late 90's.
The "Bigfoot" system is patented, and has become widely available, and very successful.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

I had to hire an engineer to use the rough sawn lumber instead of store bought. The engineer designated big foots so I was able to use them with sonotubes instead of a footing. It gives me a gravel floor and because i leave my chains on year round the gravel floor is better than concrete for me. I was pretty new at using the backhoe but after clearing the stumps and leveling the building site and digging the 11 holes for the bigfoots I am much better with the backhoe so it was a good learning experience. Here is the last pic with the battens and the sliding door rail cover and the door bracing done. that will end it for this year.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Code

Equipment
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
Really nice shed. I have an old carriage house (shed for horse carriages) that im debating on refurb or teardown. Its all built from on property pine from the 1900’s. Just really low clearances. Current thought is a pole barn next to it for the tractor equip and refurb it as a small shop.

love the look of your shed.

I had to hire an engineer to use the rough sawn lumber instead of store bought. The engineer designated big foots so I was able to use them with sonotubes instead of a footing. It gives me a gravel floor and because i leave my chains on year round the gravel floor is better than concrete for me. I was pretty new at using the backhoe but after clearing the stumps and leveling the building site and digging the 11 holes for the bigfoots I am much better with the backhoe so it was a good learning experience. Here is the last pic with the battens and the sliding door rail cover and the door bracing done. that will end it for this year.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Really nice shed. I have an old carriage house (shed for horse carriages) that im debating on refurb or teardown. Its all built from on property pine from the 1900’s. Just really low clearances. Current thought is a pole barn next to it for the tractor equip and refurb it as a small shop.

love the look of your shed.
Thank you . I kind of had the same issue with the small shed I built in #22 above. The local guys built a camp in that spot when they were kids in the 1960s but it had a rotted wood floor and very low ceilings so I ended up tearing it down and building the new shed. It is a lot more functional now and mouse tite so better for storage. here is a pic of tearing the old shed down. They are changing the zoning here on ocean front property so we bit the bullet and made the improvements this year before the regulations came out.
DSC_0071.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG
DSC_0073.JPG