Mounting a trailer hitch ball on the rear of a BX23S

ejb11235

Equipment
BX23S, Braber BBR4G 4' Box Blade & LRM5G 5' landscape rake
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I want to be able to tow my wood chipper and a small trailer around with my BX23S, with the backhoe removed. There's already a plate on the back, and I think there's centered hole in it. I've seen this plate referred to as a "ball plate", which makes it sound like it's designed to have a hitch ball put in it.

Is that, in fact, what it's for? If so, what's the disadvantages of using it versus getting an aftermarket receiver? If not, what's the hole for?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is iffy that the chipper might lift the front end of the tractor and ruin your day. I prefer to have the ball on the 3-point hitch where I can drop it to the ground should I need to in a hurry. I know that my Vermeer chipper probably outweighs my BX23S, so I move it with my car.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
It is iffy that the chipper might lift the front end of the tractor and ruin your day. I prefer to have the ball on the 3-point hitch where I can drop it to the ground should I need to in a hurry. I know that my Vermeer chipper probably outweighs my BX23S, so I move it with my car.
My chipper is a little towable Dr Chipper that I can move by hand with a little effort. So I don't think I need to worry about lifting the front end. But you do make a good point about towing with heavier tongue weights.

Do you know if I can put the trailer ball right in the factory ball plate or do I have to buy a receiver? My tractor is 65 miles away otherwise I would check it myself ... I'd like to order the plate this week if I actually need one.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Standard ball should fit into the hole, but you might need a lock washer to keep it tight. Just check to see the diameter of the chipper before you purchase a ball. Some are 1 7/8" and others are 2".

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you've got the 3PH installed , buy or make a 3PH hitch unit. A LOT easier to couple to ! To keep the trailer from lifting up, use a section of chain to limit 3PH travel.
The 'carryall' I made has a 2" receiver on it, allows for sleeve.. 17/8,2,2 5/16 balls. Use an empty sleeve to pull discs as well.

Reactions: 1 users

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I’m not sure if your rear attachment is the same as my BX1870 but here is my solution. I bought one of these at H-F:
and one of these although any adapter could work:
The receiver’s rear two bolt holes lined up with the tractor’s bolt pattern when I took off the factory ball bracket. The other two needed to be drilled which was easily done. Now I have a real receiver and the flexibility to change the ball, for $40
IMG_1218.jpeg IMG_1220.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I put a ball on my drawbar of my B3200. It works but is a pain to get the tongue of the trailer/ splitter on it, retract the stand, move it, lower the stand and disconnect. I have Pats On the B3200 and a HF quick hitch on the B1700. I find it easier to hook the tongue of the trailer with one of the lower arms, lift it up free of the stand, move and lower it back down. Works great when mowing. I can grab my trailer, shove it out of the way, mow and move it back without getting off the tractor. Not recommended for any distance but pulling the chipper to the wood pile is a lot easier

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
Standard ball should fit into the hole, but you might need a lock washer to keep it tight. Just check to see the diameter of the chipper before you purchase a ball. Some are 1 7/8" and others are 2".
Thanks for the warning. I already have two hitches for this chipper. When I bought it I wasn't sure how much drop I needed so I bought two. I'm planning on transferring the spare ball over to the tractor.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
If you've got the 3PH installed , buy or make a 3PH hitch unit. A LOT easier to couple to ! To keep the trailer from lifting up, use a section of chain to limit 3PH travel.
The 'carryall' I made has a 2" receiver on it, allows for sleeve.. 17/8,2,2 5/16 balls. Use an empty sleeve to pull discs as well.
I do have a 3PH but I haven't gone to any quick hitches yet. My chipper is light enough to move by hand, so I would be surprised if I have trouble coupling/uncoupling it, but I consider myself warned! At this point just being able to position my chipper with my tractor would be a big improvement over having to use my truck or pulling it around by hand. Ultimately I want to get a 3PH carry-all like the one Tractor Supply sells ... then I could mount the chipper on it, sans wheels and tongue, and bring the chipper anywhere I can get my tractor.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
when it comes time for me, I'm going to get something like this.
Just want to make sure it doesn't interfere with any other attachments/operations.
class 3 tractor hitch.jpg

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I’m not sure if your rear attachment is the same as my BX1870 but here is my solution. I bought one of these at H-F:
and one of these although any adapter could work:
The receiver’s rear two bolt holes lined up with the tractor’s bolt pattern when I took off the factory ball bracket. The other two needed to be drilled which was easily done. Now I have a real receiver and the flexibility to change the ball, for $40
View attachment 89024 View attachment 89025
Thanks for the pictures! They make BX-specific receivers that have all the holes pre-drilled. I don't mind buying one but prefer to spend the $100 towards a 3PH carryall that I can eventually mount the chipper on sideways. If I can come up with a way to quickly transfer the chipper from its wheels to the carryall, and vice-versa, then I would have the best of both worlds ... towable when I need that and tractor-mounted when I need that.

Reactions: 1 user

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
only reason i wouldn't just put the ball on that frame section is space for hooking up the trailer, id go with the bolt on reciever and the draw bar to put the ball further back from the tractor. I however do have a 3pt hitch, and i also have one for my loader. I like using the loader for moving trailers, and the 3pt for towing.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
What about something like this?

3phitch.jpeg

I find the ability to raise and lift quite useful at times. Plus I have a 3 size adapter I use with it, as I have equipment that uses all 3 balls.

You can also buy a cheapo drawbar and put a hitch ball on it, for similar results.

Or if you have SSQA, you can get a hitch plate for the front of your loader arms. I use that when I have the BH hooked up.

someguy9000

Oct 7, 2022
California
Ultimately I want to get a 3PH carry-all like the one Tractor Supply sells ... then I could mount the chipper on it, sans wheels and tongue, and bring the chipper anywhere I can get my tractor.
IMO, if you spend the $$ on the carry all frame, it's just as much or more than a 3ph receiver hitch, plus ball. If you buy the carry all, it's only for one piece of equipment. If you buy the recover/ball it can be for anything thats towable.

As another usage pattern, I have a winch on a 2inch receiver, and I've used that too.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
IMO, if you spend the $$ on the carry all frame, it's just as much or more than a 3ph receiver hitch, plus ball. If you buy the carry all, it's only for one piece of equipment. If you buy the recover/ball it can be for anything thats towable.

As another usage pattern, I have a winch on a 2inch receiver, and I've used that too.
The carryall will allow me to get the chipper to places where I would have difficulty towing it. Plus, the mounting will position the chipper outfeed to the side, which would be ideal. But in the meantime, I just want to put a ball on the existing frame so I can see how that works and get the benefit of not having to use my truck.

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
only reason i wouldn't just put the ball on that frame section is space for hooking up the trailer, id go with the bolt on reciever and the draw bar to put the ball further back from the tractor. I however do have a 3pt hitch, and i also have one for my loader. I like using the loader for moving trailers, and the 3pt for towing.
I had forgotten about the bolt-on receivers that clamp to the FEL. That might be handy to have one of those, and they aren't very expensive.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What about something like this?

View attachment 89180

I find the ability to raise and lift quite useful at times. Plus I have a 3 size adapter I use with it, as I have equipment that uses all 3 balls.

You can also buy a cheapo drawbar and put a hitch ball on it, for similar results.

Or if you have SSQA, you can get a hitch plate for the front of your loader arms. I use that when I have the BH hooked up.
That's what I have and was cheap when I bought it before the covid issue came. I think I got one delivered for around $50 off eBay. It was cheap enough that I bought one as a gift for my son in law...LOL

Today still relatively cheap for what you get. Works well for me...

Reactions: 1 user

ejb11235

Equipment
Jan 20, 2022
Seattle, WA, USA
I bought a 2" hitch ball at Harbor Freight a couple of nights ago for $9. Next time I'm at my tractor, I'll drop the backhoe and hopefully fit it into the hole in the existing bracket. Hopefully that will address my immediate need, which is being able to position my little chipper without having to lug it around my hand or use my truck. Thanks for all your suggestions!

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Do you know the model of the wood chipper? Depending on how heavy it is and how long the tongue is there may be a way to just lift it with the rockshaft arms while coupled to the tow ball without even needing to put the rest of the 3pt setup on the tractor. Im assuming the rockshaft arms stay on the tractor but the top link and lower arms, lifting links etc are off it while the backhoe is on? If you’re thinking about the 3pt carryall purely for moving the chipper and dont have any other reason to put the 3pt on, might be worth examining that possibility.