Disc harrows

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
It's not legal to grow food plots in Montana for the purpose of attracting deer and elk.
I’m sorry it was a typo…I meant it would be handy to bust sod to plant stuff…I sure hope the wild game is not threatening you.😉

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The steel in that beast is worth more than $1,300 so I hear you!

It's not legal to grow food plots in Montana for the purpose of attracting deer and elk. There is a FWP program to grow food plots for game birds though. I should look into that for my friend whose fields I just cut.
I am not sure you or your friend is eligible, but you might also check out EQIP….or any of the other programs from USDA that provide grants for habitat if that is something you are interested (be aware there may be a pre-req, But with patience and tolerance for paperwork there is some reward). It’s an opportunity to recoup what we’ve already paid.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Glad this popped up. Thinking hard about changing this order from disc’s to a 74” tiller.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Glad this popped up. Thinking hard about changing this order from disc’s to a 74” tiller.
I’ve got the LP tiller and so far it has far exceeded my expectations behind the MX. takes up a bit more room than the B to get in/out of a garden, but behind the MX it has a lot more potential.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Dirt Dog perhaps?

Is it impractical to till 5 acres? I've never seen a farmer run a tiller so is there a point where a rotary tiller doesn't make sense?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Dirt Dog perhaps?

Is it impractical to till 5 acres? I've never seen a farmer run a tiller so is there a point where a rotary tiller doesn't make sense?
I think that is all determined by available HP, soil type and condition, and width of tiller. I can roto till 2.5 to 3 acres in an afternoon with the B2650 and my old 50 inch wide tiller.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I’ve got the LP tiller and so far it has far exceeded my expectations behind the MX. takes up a bit more room than the B to get in/out of a garden, but behind the MX it has a lot more potential.
Dirt Dog perhaps?

Would probably change it to the 74” terra force EA sells. I think they are in stock too.
Gonna call tomorrow and see what they say.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Dirt Dog perhaps?

Impractical or practical? I am not sure. Large farms typically have a variety of specialized equipment for tillage (soil prep) specific to what planting….much faster too. They also have very specialized seeding equipment….so they have some advantage for their goals. For a hobbyist / gardener, tiller makes much more sense and is a bit more versatile so you don’t need so many different implements. So to your question, I am sure there is a point where it does t make sense…when either your time or production requirement is not sufficient for your output (goals)….when it’s more than a hobby (IMO)

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: rototill 5 acres...
I'd say NOT cost effective. A LOT of time and fuel($$$) on a per acre basis. a LOT !!
Guys here run discs with 'rolling basket harrows' and they do a GREAT job ! The harrows break up the soil chunks the discs make and tend to level out the field at the same time ,making a very good 'seed bed' for their crops( corn,oats, soybean,spuds). Impresses me how fast they can do fields
A rototiller makes a very fine 'grained' soil, better suited for the home veggie garden, say 2 acres or less. It's far slower,but works better for several types of crops. Veggie gardens are a mix of plants ,unlike say 100 acres of beans.

HuntIL2

Mar 31, 2022
Illinois
I like the idea of a tiller for use on my food plots (.5-1.5 acres) but I wonder if I plant corn will that tiller go through what's left the following season when I want to replant? Is a disc better in that situation? What do others do there?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Just talked to Travis, they are no longer offering 3rd party tillers. They have decided to make their own!
I was just looking on EA's website and couldn't find the Terra Force. How about a UH series from IronCraft (formerly Titan Implements)? Or a DirtDog ... both USA made.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't know if a disc harrow will be useful for me for anything more than breaking up sod for the second driveway, but maybe it will be useful at my friend's property. I called the seller last night and offered $1k and he agreed to meet in the middle at $1,150. Implements built as heavily as this sell new for $4k or more and it looks to be in very good shape.

To make the trip out to his place even more appealing I noticed that he's asking $100 for this. Again, the steel in this would cost at least $300. It's a heavy duty 3-point frame that looks like it was part of a rear blade.

01616_luUOCs9Y84yz_1ck0TK_1200x900.jpg

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I don't know if a disc harrow will be useful for me for anything more than breaking up sod for the second driveway, but maybe it will be useful at my friend's property. I called the seller last night and offered $1k and he agreed to meet in the middle at $1,150. Implements built as heavily as this sell new for $4k or more and it looks to be in very good shape.

To make the trip out to his place even more appealing I noticed that he's asking $100 for this. Again, the steel in this would cost at least $300. It's a heavy duty 3-point frame that looks like it was part of a rear blade.

View attachment 84658
That would be a great start point for a log skidder type of thing or whatever else you can think up.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I was just looking on EA's website and couldn't find the Terra Force. How about a UH series from IronCraft (formerly Titan Implements)? Or a DirtDog ... both USA made.

I am gonna contact a local dealer, that I’ve dealt with for work, and see if he has any 84’s on the lot. Maybe we can work a deal, and I’ll cancel my set of discs.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I like the idea of a tiller for use on my food plots (.5-1.5 acres) but I wonder if I plant corn will that tiller go through what's left the following season when I want to replant? Is a disc better in that situation? What do others do there?
Have had two to three acres of sweet corn for the past 20 years. The first year I tried discing the stalks down for fall prep after all the picking was done. The weight of the disc I had wasn't enough to cut/chop the stalks up even in a couple of passes. It took forever to finally get the residue buried and small enough to decide to leave it for next spring.
Thereafter, we mowed the stalks down with the 3 point brush mower before rototilling. That was a huge improvement over the discing.
A couple years ago we bought a flail mower and now use that to mow the stalks down first before tilling. Again, a huge improvement over the regular mower! You need to keep watch on the flail's belt tension during first use until the "stretch" is out of them. :)

If you leave your corn/food plot standing til spring......you should mow it first before tilling. Trying to unclog wound up corn stalks from the roto tiller aint fun!!

Here's what first happened and then after new belts were installed the Flail Success in Corn.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

View attachment 84658
Perfect setup for your homebuilt land Plane!!

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Seeding equip makes a huge difference on how you can prepare soil…if you have a walk behind wheel planter good luck with out tilling(depending on what you plant), especially if you want reasonably straight rows…I’d love to have a small seeder, but I am too cheap…if you can come up with a seeder the. You have some more options. Big Equip can do without tilling as they have a real seeder…that makes a huge difference. No till typically can do less till(cultivating and discoing is still tilling) but they have a drill / seeder to guarantee good seed to soil contact and of course they use chemicals. How awesome would a small drill/seeder be?😍. If you use a walk behind wheel ho to cultivate again it sure helps to have a nice tilled seedbed especially if there is any slope to you garden patch.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Perfect setup for your homebuilt land Plane!!
I have an EA land leveler (land plane) but it's moot now. I called the guy selling the disc harrow this morning and he told me that someone called last night and committed to buying the 3-point frame. Oh well, I would most likely have cut it up and used the steel for something else.

I was able to pick up the disc harrow though, and it turns out I'd met the seller about six years ago when I bought a welding table from him. He's a good guy and a Kubota fanatic with three tractors in his shop, and he'd just sold two. We had agreed on $1,150 but I gave him $1,200 making this a great buy for sure.

The harrow has 24 18" discs with scrapers on 20 of those discs. 12 discs up front are round and 12 at the back are notched. I'm really impressed with the build quality. The seller had replaced some bearings but bought more than needed so he gave me six or seven bearings in a box. I'll need to replace the tires but other than that it's good to go.

disc_harrow_1.jpg

disc_harrow_2.jpg

disc_harrow_3.jpg

disc_harrow_4.jpg

disc_harrow_5.jpg

disc_harrow_6.jpg

disc_harrow_8.jpg

disc_harrow_9.jpg

disc_harrow_7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users