Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I only met him once a couple months ago, but our kids in Philly had to say goodbye to their dog. They fostered him for a short while, and adopted him 2+ years ago.

He was diagnosed with a suspected Lymphoma last week. They were about to start chemotherapy, but his condition failed quickly. He was in a lot of pain. They did the right thing.

He was about 8 years old and a very good boy….the pictures are from the last couple weeks when he wasn’t feeling very well.

View attachment 79984

View attachment 79985
View attachment 79986
Very sorry to hear that RCW.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Very sorry to hear that RCW.
Thanks bear. Losing him has crushed the kids.

While they live in downtown Philly, the dog fit in very well.

They have no children, and I'm betting their next search will not be to foster a dog; it will be to adopt one.

Remember what I said about pet-ownership being a two-way street? There's benefits for the pet, and the owner as well. That benefit to the pet is immeasurable, just like it is for the owner.

A coworker lost their dog a couple months ago too. Just about Ollie's age, 10-11. He actually woke/alerted the family to late-night a house fire years ago. The house was a total loss, and no one was hurt, thanks to Rocky.

The Mr. is unable to work due to health issues. At 60, he's home alone all day now, and is greatly desiring another dog. They live in a very rural part of their town. The company will greatly improve his outlook, and give him a reason to keep moving. They're dog people like many of us.

We also did get on a list for another Boxer puppy. Looks like a European Boxer could be in the cards for us this summer. We're preferring another male, and maybe a brindle this time. Time will tell.....

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Thanks bear. Losing him has crushed the kids.

While they live in downtown Philly, the dog fit in very well.

They have no children, and I'm betting their next search will not be to foster a dog; it will be to adopt one.

Remember what I said about pet-ownership being a two-way street? There's benefits for the pet, and the owner as well. That benefit to the pet is immeasurable, just like it is for the owner.

A coworker lost their dog a couple months ago too. Just about Ollie's age, 10-11. He actually woke/alerted the family to late-night a house fire years ago. The house was a total loss, and no one was hurt, thanks to Rocky.

The Mr. is unable to work due to health issues. At 60, he's home alone all day now, and is greatly desiring another dog. They live in a very rural part of their town. The company will greatly improve his outlook, and give him a reason to keep moving. They're dog people like many of us.

We also did get on a list for another Boxer puppy. Looks like a European Boxer could be in the cards for us this summer. We're preferring another male, and maybe a brindle this time. Time will tell.....
Son just sold the last boxer pup he had from his litter.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Somewhere in the mix here, there’s a Boxer joining our household in 6 weeks or so. Bought and paid for. Just don’t know which one yet.

Don’t like the idea of training another puppy, but I dislike the idea of not having a dog much more…..

668DBB48-9AD9-4A05-88A5-49122C4B0511.jpeg

009F0142-31F4-43CD-AD0F-C5878007634C.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Must be the time of year for new buddies:

My great-granddaughter Izzy and her new pup, Opal. She's an English Bulldog. Just visiting, it'll be a few weeks yet before they can bring her home.

Which should be interesting, she'll be sharing my daughter's house with these two idjits:

Izzy's Dad and Fiancee will be putting up a double-wide on the same piece of land, hopefully by Christmas.

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@RCW - Congrats on the new pup! Always liked Boxers.
Many thanks. We’ve had two, and really like the breed.

The family we’re dealing with is local to us, and they’ve gone to a European bloodline. My wife’s friend has a youngster from last year.

There’s many health issues associated with some American lines that we have seen in our last two dogs.

This one should have clearances for multiple issues Ollie had. Not the previous breeders negligence, it was common to the genetics.

While not a guarantee, it certainly sets the dog and us up for some good times into the future.

We’re excited 😊

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
There’s many health issues associated with some American lines

So true. Many "popular" breeds have issues. I suspect much of it is from years of breeding from a limited gene pool.

I lost a beautiful Rottweiler long before his time due to cancer. Most of his litter mates had the same problem.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
There’s many health issues associated with some American lines

So true. Many "popular" breeds have issues. I suspect much of it is from years of breeding from a limited gene pool.

I lost a beautiful Rottweiler long before his time due to cancer. Most of his litter mates had the same problem.
True. One of Ollie’s littermates lived near to us. My wife’s coworker had him and they’d walk the boys together. At 90-plus each, they were an impressive pair of boxers.

He passed of brain tumor about same time Ollie began to have issues within a couple days.

Ollie also had minor heart rhythm and thyroid issues for years. Diagnosed and controlled by medications. All congenital.

Again, not blaming the guy we got him from. Wasn’t his business; he just had a male and female boxer, so tried puppies one time. Mom and Dad were not related, but we’re both very much very large American type boxers.

The person we’re dealing with now has been through the American Boxer problems himself as an owner, and has chosen to try a better path.

His dogs and puppies are checked for the thyroid, heart, and a couple other issues I don’t remember right away.

I’m hoping it will make for a great experience down the road 10 or 15 years…..

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I tried to catch the morning make out session.... but once the big ol tongue comes out he backs up pretty quick. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

20220618_073830.jpg

Then a little while later, he had to cuddle with her.

IMG_20220618_081403.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Our kids in Philly are fostering another pit.

Their dog passed a short while back. He was a pit bull/boxer mix. Fostered him, then adopted a couple years ago.

Not a fan of the breed, but they say he’s a sweetheart so far. About 3 years old.

DE5B1E8C-267E-430A-BD9A-7A7C80A1D057.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Had a visitor at work today. This little bugger loved to talk. 😂🤣😂🤣

IMG_20220629_143247.jpg

IMG_20220629_143243.jpg

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
opal.jpg

Daughter's older Akita, Crichton, with his new "niece" Opal. She's an English Bulldog, my grandson and his fiancee just brought her home.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Literally while digging the hole to bury Ollie’s ashes, this showed up.

We will likely have another boxer puppy in the next couple weeks.

His name will be Geddy, for Geddy Lee of Rush. (Really his name was Gary, but his Jewish mother mispronounced it, so the story goes).

D0FB7B51-DF8D-4C86-9393-C4214D234495.jpeg

Ollie came home to us 11 years ago today, about this time…he loved walks, runs, and marshmallows….

3254E89B-D1EA-43C1-9987-B62707225B72.jpeg

Miss you buddy…..

C15EA628-6A84-40F6-886B-29175DFC5C84.jpeg

Last edited: