Buying BH70 backhoe for B2601

hanisaad

Mar 27, 2022
Smithfield
I would like to buy a backhoe (BH70) for my B2601, i contacted the two Kubota dealers close to me and one quoted me $9500 for the backhoe, subframe and installation (with a several month wait until they can get one) and the other one quoted me $8400 for backhoe with frame and installation. When i bought my B2601 tractor with a 60" belly mower in 2019, i paid $18000 so spending half of that now on a backhoe seems expensive.
I wonder how much extra it would have cost me if i had bought the backhoe when i got the tractor. does $8400 seem reasonable or is it expensive?

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would like to buy a backhoe (BH70) for my B2601, i contacted the two Kubota dealers close to me and one quoted me $9500 for the backhoe, subframe and installation (with a several month wait until they can get one) and the other one quoted me $8400 for backhoe with frame and installation. When i bought my B2601 tractor with a 60" belly mower in 2019, i paid $18000 so spending half of that now on a backhoe seems expensive.
I wonder how much extra it would have cost me if i had bought the backhoe when i got the tractor. does $8400 seem reasonable or is it expensive?
It is almost always the most cost effective to buy all attachments/upgrades as part of an initial purchase.
At this point in your life it will be $8,400 or no BH.

Reactions: 1 user

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Just make sure that the dipperstick has clearance where it meets the boom, the thumb mount is welded in the correct position, the bucket pin is the correct length and is drilled for a grease fitting, the retaining bolts and nuts are correct, the control handles aren't falling off and the grease fittings are tight with no paint blocking the end. Then check how fast the bucket droops, so the boom cylinder doesn't need an immediate rebuild. Then you can check the torque on all the sub-frame bolts. I had problems with all of the above on my new BH70. They know what to charge but they have no clue what they are selling. 😞

• Wow

hanisaad

Mar 27, 2022
Smithfield
It is almost always the most cost effective to buy all attachments/upgrades as part of an initial purchase.
At this point in your life it will be $8,400 or no BH.
Yeah I figured I would be paying more when not bundled, I guess I'm just trying to figure out how much extra

hanisaad

Mar 27, 2022
Smithfield
Just make sure that the dipperstick has clearance where it meets the boom, the thumb mount is welded in the correct position, the bucket pin is the correct length and is drilled for a grease fitting, the retaining bolts and nuts are correct, the control handles aren't falling off and the grease fittings are tight with no paint blocking the end. Then check how fast the bucket droops, so the boom cylinder doesn't need an immediate rebuild. Then you can check the torque on all the sub-frame bolts. I had problems with all of the above on my new BH70. They know what to charge but they have no clue what they are selling. 😞
Man I'm sorry you had all these issues with your backhoe. Given all these do you still like/recommend it assuming those issues are not present?

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
You can always go to the Kubota site and build a new one adding the backhoe. I paid 29k for my 2020 B2601 TLB and MMM. That will give you an idea on the prices. The 8400 is probably a good price?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I would trust nothing to luck after that ordeal. The tractor was down for a total of 8 weeks and they still had to come out to me to fix a mistake the dealer made. The tractor was made in Japan and nearly perfect, but the backhoe was made in the USA by people that do not deserve a job. If you get one, check absolutely everything and then do it again. One would never think to check things like brackets welded on in the wrong position or hidden bolts holding on the handles, but the fine workers found a way to mess that up.

The backhoe isn't as powerful as I expected so that was a slight disappointment. Know that this particular hoe doesn't swing side to side as far as many models.

I obtained a workshop manual and the hydraulics illustrated are not at all like mine, if you buy, ask for a WSM that shows the valves just like what is installed. The reason for that is it would be impossible to buy parts when even the dealers can't point to the correct valves for part numbers. For example, the parts list shows parts, part numbers and prices for items that aren't even there.

If I had it to do all over again, I might have a different color tractor but I do know they aren't perfect as well.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last summer I just kicked tires on a B2601 TLB on the lot new.

Salesman said about $27k as it sat, with the BH and thumb, or about $20k without the BH.

Those numbers were close enough for me at the time. Just kickin' tires.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Given the times the price is probably pretty good (@$8400). In 2019 I got the BH77 for mine and it was around $8500 for hoe, subframe and bucket. Did the install myself.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Also I am not sure sure if the 8400 good price or not but ‘available’ is worth a lot right now. For what it is worth I spent way more on a BH92 last year and waited from about march until sept/oct to get it. In general I think a BH is a lot of money no matter how you look at them compared to renting or paying a pro. I would buy mine all over again. I wanted the immediate access. Was it a good deal…absolutely not, it was expensive….however I would buy it all over again. Todays dollars probably don’t mean much compared to inflation. Consider if you finance you will be paying off in devalued dollars.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Maybe consider renting a miniexcavator ? At $200 a day(24hrs), that's a lot of days use. Trick is to lineup at least 16 hrs of work for that 24hr rental period.
Price for the BH is means squat if it's NOT IN STOCK.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Maybe consider renting a miniexcavator ? At $200 a day(24hrs), that's a lot of days use. Trick is to lineup at least 16 hrs of work for that 24hr rental period.
Price for the BH is means squat if it's NOT IN STOCK.
For personal and thus unpredictable use, renting/pick up/return just does not make any sense.
Sometimes I only use my L48 TLB for less than a hour,..... but when I need it, I have it, and the following day it is there for me also.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: For personal and thus unpredictable use, renting/pick up/return just does not make any sense.

hmm, he bought the tractor 3 years ago and never needed the BH until now. While it's 'nice' to have a BH available 24/7 it's an expensive dust collector. What we don't know is what jobs he has that need a backhoe. If it's something urgent like ditch cleaning, septic repair then renting makes sense. It's cheaper and AVAILABLE. I don't know if the complete BH is at the dealer, ready to go, installable today ?
We don't have enough information, I was putting out a viable option for him.

I've never had the BH off my BX23s since new, 3 years ago and even though I have the 3PH kit have no plans to use it.

hanisaad

Mar 27, 2022
Smithfield
re: For personal and thus unpredictable use, renting/pick up/return just does not make any sense.

hmm, he bought the tractor 3 years ago and never needed the BH until now. While it's 'nice' to have a BH available 24/7 it's an expensive dust collector. What we don't know is what jobs he has that need a backhoe. If it's something urgent like ditch cleaning, septic repair then renting makes sense. It's cheaper and AVAILABLE. I don't know if the complete BH is at the dealer, ready to go, installable today ?
We don't have enough information, I was putting out a viable option for him.

I've never had the BH off my BX23s since new, 3 years ago and even though I have the 3PH kit have no plans to use it.
The dealer has the backhoe in stock with the frame ready to install. I really don't have many projects to do, maybe 50 feet of trench digging. My wanting to buy it is from the fear that they will stop making it one day and I regret not buying it. I actually use my tractor's 3 point hitch all the time since I use it to pull a big arena drag so i would only have the bh on when I need it and then take it off. I just feel bad spending that much money on something I don't know how much I would use

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: I just feel bad spending that much money on something I don't know how much I would use

That's why I suggested renting the mini excavator. It's a sure thing, minimal expense and always available. I seriously doubt K will stop making the BH. It probably fits several tractors.

GSD-Keegan

Equipment
B2601 with Fel and Bh70 backhoe
Mar 6, 2021
Ontario, Canada
Just for what it’s worth….For my use, I have used the BH way way more than the loader in the first year of ownership. With the thumb I carefully pick up logs 8 to 10 ft in length, move them a short distance, then keep them waist height to buck them up into lengths for splittin. Saves my back a bit from bending over, rolling the log to cut the other side, and keeps my chain out of the dirt. With one person on the tractor and one operating the chainsaw logs can be picked up, cut into lengths pretty quick. The downside so far is removing the BH to install any implements on the 3 point, then reinstalling the BH.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The dealer has the backhoe in stock with the frame ready to install. I really don't have many projects to do, maybe 50 feet of trench digging. My wanting to buy it is from the fear that they will stop making it one day and I regret not buying it. I actually use my tractor's 3 point hitch all the time since I use it to pull a big arena drag so i would only have the bh on when I need it and then take it off. I just feel bad spending that much money on something I don't know how much I would use
I very seriously doubt that you will EVER have even a slight amount of regret about buying a BH.
I have had a TLB (3400 Ford, now Kubota L48) for the past 36 years.
I do not use it often, but when I do.......
It saves me $, and makes life easier!
I am now 81.

Reactions: 4 users

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I too was concerned about the cost of the BH when i originally bought my B2601, didnt think I had any real use for it. That is until I got it home and things kept popping up. I got the mechanical thumb from BX Expanded and its been a back saver. From boulders to tree stumps, free wood prep and relocating bushes/planting trees its been great. If you get it I'm sure projects will come up that you never even thought of before because now you have the means to do them.

Reactions: 1 users

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
the build site shows the back hoe with 16 " bucket and frame at 8919 so I would think 8400 and without being part of a package seems like an ok deal. I read a rumor on this site that there is a price increase april 1