Fuel killed electrical

Sampsonight

Equipment
B7200HST B2551
Jan 6, 2022
Maine
So as I was fueling up my B7200HST my spout broke and a good splash of fuel spilled down the right hand side of the tank. When I turned the key to check fuel level, none of the gauges would work, lights are all dead, and the worse part (live in cold climate and snowblow with the tractor) the coil heater won't work.

The ignition does still operate and I can eventually get the tractor going but I need to get this resolved... This happened about 1 week ago, so any fuel should have dried off by now. What do I need to check/what could have happened? Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have you checked all the fuses that are under the dash?

I would get under the hood and painstakingly look at each wire and the fuse that goes with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
So as I was fueling up my B7200HST my spout broke and a good splash of fuel spilled down the right hand side of the tank. When I turned the key to check fuel level, none of the gauges would work, lights are all dead, and the worse part (live in cold climate and snowblow with the tractor) the coil heater won't work.

The ignition does still operate and I can eventually get the tractor going but I need to get this resolved... This happened about 1 week ago, so any fuel should have dried off by now. What do I need to check/what could have happened? Thanks
Would not have expected fuel to cause an electrical issue. Unless it carried some contaminants that shorted out electrical connections.

What is a coil heater?

Does the tractor still work with the engine running? IF so you are at least in better shape that if the tractor would not start to begin with.

Hopefully someone will give you better help, since I really have none, except the thought that I would use the tractor as is if needed, if it worked for me, even without gauges...

Last edited:

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Many times fuel pumps have exposed connections. I doubt the fuel bridging any circuits broke anything. You sure the ignition isnt just getting sticky. Electrical contact cleaner may help you.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Diesel doesn't dry up.
Diesel fuel should not effect anything electrical, wiring or components.
But stranger things have happened.
Have you inspected the wiring and fuses?

Sampsonight

Equipment
B7200HST B2551
Jan 6, 2022
Maine
Checked all fuses. Everything was good, tried key, still dead. Took the dash apart, unplugged and cleaned everything I could and reattached. Working fine now! Also regained my flasher lights that had not worked since I bought the tractor! 😅

Reactions: 3 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

Also regained my flasher lights that had not worked since I bought the tractor! 😅

so a 'preexisting condition'
sounds like the first time it's ever been cleaned ??
how old ??
you can get a LOT of dust and crud and gorf into the wee nooks and crannies then one day ,oopsy...it don't run...