Tractor cleaning?

Jms63

Equipment
Mx6000
Oct 17, 2021
Alabama
I see people spraying down there machines with this foam soap hooked to their water hose, how good does that stuff work on a dirty tractor, and I’m not talking about mud splattered dirty just average dust and light grime…. I just never saw one get cleaned very good with spray down and spray off… appreciate the opinions

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I see people spraying down there machines with this foam soap hooked to their water hose, how good does that stuff work on a dirty tractor, and I’m not talking about mud splattered dirty just average dust and light grime…. I just never saw one get cleaned very good with spray down and spray off… appreciate the opinions
I thought pressure washers were invented just for tractors.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Pressure washers are good, but they'll blast off decals and all. I'd just spritz on some Simple Green or Purple and let sit and then wash with a water hose. Pressure washers are too high pressure for the gasketry and all and those decals.

Used to clean dirty engines by wetting and then sprinkling powder Tide over the wet surfaces and let sit and hose off. Lot safer than using gasoline.

Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
If you want a painted surface really clean, then hand washing is the only thing that works. Even with a pressure washer, there is always a film left.

Reactions: 3 users

Jms63

Equipment
Mx6000
Oct 17, 2021
Alabama
If you want a painted surface really clean, then hand washing is the only thing that works. Even with a pressure washer, there is always a film left.
Kindly what I figured all that foamy soap looks good on there but I haven’t actually seen how clean it will get the tractor from anyone…. I’m an elbow grease cleaner but I had seen several pics of people soaping these machines down and just wondered if I was missing out on something.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I use a spray foam cannon. I spray the heavy dirt off with the pressure washer, then use the foam cannon. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinse off. I also do this to my truck. On my truck I use a wash mit to wipe it down then rinse.

if the tractor needs it or not I wash it in the spring then I may wax it along with clean the seat any rubber mats etc.

Foam Cannon

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Kindly what I figured all that foamy soap looks good on there but I haven’t actually seen how clean it will get the tractor from anyone…. I’m an elbow grease cleaner but I had seen several pics of people soaping these machines down and just wondered if I was missing out on something.
For my cars, I installed a DI (de-ionized water) rinse system. My well water makes some nasty water spots unless it is towel dried immediately, the DI water rinse reduces the water spots. I'll probably use it on the tractor and other equipment since it is right there ready for use. Since it is expensive to change out the media, I do it quickly and only use it for the final rinse.

System

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
For many years I use "Oil Eater" (mixed 50/50 with water in spray bottle) let soak for a minute, use small brush to loosen the greasy stuff. Then rinse with water. ("Oil Eater" available at local 'Tractor Supply')

The grease just falls off.

I no longer use PRESSURE washer due to problems with bearings and electrical connections getting water within them.

For removing light, dusty crud (grass clippings...etc) I use air-pressure wand.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Purple Power will also degloss your paint for you!
I used to remark on how non destructive purple power was. It( at the time) did not damage paint/decals. After the fifth gallon jug I bought of the stuff it bit me. It de-glossed my l3560 rims. I still use it frequently for engine parts and non sensitive areas. Never again for me on gloss paint. Luckily it was a quick polish to bring back the luster.

I feel they must have changed the formula some time in 2015.

cliffboyer

Equipment
L3301 w/LA525 loader, G5200 mower w/RC48 deck, Kawasaki 610 Mule, DR mower
Nov 30, 2017
Southern IL
I used to remark on how non destructive purple power was. It( at the time) did not damage paint/decals. After the fifth gallon jug I bought of the stuff it bit me. It de-glossed my l3560 rims. I still use it frequently for engine parts and non sensitive areas. Never again for me on gloss paint. Luckily it was a quick polish to bring back the luster.

I feel they must have changed the formula some time in 2015.
Yes it will, and yes they did. I keep several spray bottles with various concentrations and small pump garden sprayer heavily diluted for presoaking bumpers & wheels when washing vehicles.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I use a low-pressure pressure washer on the tractor, and I stay away from the engine, electrical, and anything else that water will cause problems with. My tractor is not a garage queen but a working tool. I maintain it well to preserve my investment, but I don't get upset about some scratches, etc. It might be the Rolls Royce of tractors, but it is still a tractor, not a Rolls Royce. I keep the Rolls Royce in the temperature and humidity-controlled garage covered up under fine silk parachutes.

Reactions: 2 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Yep. Pressure washing a muddy bucket isn't going to hurt, but you have to be very careful about the engine compartment and a few other places.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
Car soap and a gentle brush. Only washed a few times a summer.
At 36 it is fine for it to show it's age !
Spray can of orange paint for the constant boot wear on the floor boards.

MuttCat

Apr 9, 2017
Dorloo, NY, USA
Ditto on no pressure washing. My BX sees a lot of mowing, and cuttings and clipping and dust get jammed into every nook. So when things are dry I open up everything and use a compressor to blow all the dried vegetation and dirt out. After, several squirts and a soak with Simple Green, a quick hose, I'm done.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
As many have already suggested, wash it like a car with a hose, bucket and microfiber mitt every 6-9 months. Foaming works too, but not as well with real dirt versus dust. You can pressure wash the tires, if needed.

In terms of clippings and debris hiding in various places, compressed air works well, but a leaf blower works much better.

FWIW, I also applied some spray-on/wipe-off ceramic wax (in my case Griot's) for extra protection and easier cleaning. Although the ceramic content probably is just marketing, this stuff lasts and lasts. Waxing the tractor took less than 15 minutes - worth it for me in terms of time/effort.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I see no one uses this:
WashAll by Aero Cosmetics

By far this has been the best cleaner for vehicles I have owned (cars, tractors and motorcycles). It is used in the aircraft industry.

It does a great job at removing greasy dirt and does not attack finishes. The original owner of my tractor wasn't especially fanatic about removing old grease. WashAll did a great job on it.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
After its clean, this is a very good product. The blue Meguiars, I was trying a few out and it seems to be the better one. Easy to use, dry and wax idea.
AD8E7855-A908-4DF6-8784-832DAFA99999.jpeg