Lug nut reminder

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
my very first tractor job was a first service on a Deere small tractor. I had never been around tractors much so it was quite daunting. NO training, basically boss says "do it" and that was it. no manuals, no checklists, nothing.

Week later it shows back up. Wheels falling off. Of course I just serviced it. As a 16 year old brat kid who didn't know the slightest about tractors, I never thought to check the bolts (they were lug BOLTS on that model, at least on the front).

Got my butt ate out something fierce. Hence, the handle. Lugbolt.

but at the same time the boss (who by the way was at the time also a drill seargent in the nat guard) was apologetic because he knew that I had zero instruction. Remedied by a whole library of service manuals, and a real office to keep them in (prior, had neither). In those days Deere sent out only paper manuals, and everything was on paper including recalls and bulletins. I had THOUSANDS of pages of PIP's, product improvement programs, that I had to work through. Sometimes 2-10 a day. Mind you they are kinda like recalls, in that there might be a few hundred of them in the area that I had to address, per PIP. I don't miss that about deere! Especially don't miss having to go to the air base to 'find' 29 LX188's to replace the key switches. It was at the point, a 17 year old kid, that I realized that the government is, broken. They had all those mowers, and nobody knew where they were at. Each one of those key switch replacements was a 2 minute job. It took all day to find 2 of them. 27 of them were nowhere to be found. Wasted trip!

But yes, lugnuts and lugbolts are service items. As a tech doing a first service, while the oil is draining, the tech should be checking those--and loader bolts among other things. But all the customer knows, is that the shop is doing an oil change. Then they gripe about how much an oil change is on their tractor, and how it compares to a $30 oil change on their pickup truck.

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
This is excellent advice. Would certainly be wise to follow it.

BUT I can say that in almost five decades of buying replacement tires for my vehicles, I never once saw a torque wrench used when putting the wheels back on.

No matter where I bought tires, it was only the impact wrench that was used. I am guilty of doing the same, except when I installed wheel spacers on the BX, I did use a torque wrench because the bolts/nuts that attach the spacers are hidden behind the wheels. Also used blue locktite on those bolts/nuts.

Before the pandemic, after I retired my wife and I used to visit her home town in Japan twice a year for a month. A friend used to pick us up at the airport. One time he had a flat, and called the Japanese version of AAA. Truck arrives and the service guy either fixed the flat or put the spare on, I don't remember which, but he did have a pretty well equipped service vehicle.

The thing that impressed me was when he put the tire on, he actually did use a torque wrench to torque the lug nuts correctly. My thought was: Never saw anyone do that in the USA!
I've been buying tires for our vehicles for over 25 years at Costco and not only do they use torque wrenches at installation, they want you to come back after 50 miles to have the wheel nut torque checked.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I've been buying tires for our vehicles for over 25 years at Costco and not only do they use torque wrenches at installation, they want you to come back after 50 miles to have the wheel nut torque checked.
Do you actually follow that request? Do you think others do?
Or do you suppose they only wish to relieve themselves of responsibility when they know ii will be ignored thereby shifting blame…?
I never do despite my agreement it’s a good practice to recheck torque. About 25 years ago WalMart installed new tires on my Jeep Cherokee and about 50 miles later while driving a long-curve on the highway I detected a “clunk” at my right-rear wheel. I puiled-over and looked and found all 5 lug nuts backed-away from the wheel mounting holes. The wheels, lugbolts, and nuts were all damaged. Walmart replaced them all with new parts. Cost them almost $600 and that was probably cheap compared to what it could have been.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Ahh Walmart. The service center broke a lug stud off my sisters car once by over torqueing. She brought the car to me, because Walmart flat out refused to fix it. Keep in mind she was 18 years old, and my father even called down there when she told him. All they would do is reimburse him/her for the $4 part. Needless to say I fixed it for her. I am certain this is not indicative of all Walmarts, but it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. It is service like that, causes people like me having my own tire machines.... I expect errors to happen, it does in any field. An honest shop will fix their screwups, and should granted you may have to identify the error. Have I ever mentioned that time Kubota service stripped out my tractor frame... I digress.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ahh Walmart. The service center broke a lug stud off my sisters car once by over torqueing. She brought the car to me, because Walmart flat out refused to fix it. Keep in mind she was 18 years old, and my father even called down there when she told him. All they would do is reimburse him/her for the $4 part. Needless to say I fixed it for her. I am certain this is not indicative of all Walmarts, but it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth. It is service like that, causes people like me having my own tire machines.... I expect errors to happen, it does in any field. An honest shop will fix their screwups, and should granted you may have to identify the error. Have I ever mentioned that time Kubota service stripped out my tractor frame... I digress.
that experience shows us the importance of showing our children how to identify potential problems, and possibly of more importance yet, teaching them how to be self-sufficient. Today's kids know very little about mechanical things. They don't know when a wheel stud is broken, heck half or more dont even know what a wheel stud is. I ain't got no kids but I guarantee you that if I did, they'd have a wrench in their hand by age 2.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
that experience shows us the importance of showing our children how to identify potential problems, and possibly of more importance yet, teaching them how to be self-sufficient. Today's kids know very little about mechanical things. They don't know when a wheel stud is broken, heck half or more dont even know what a wheel stud is. I ain't got no kids but I guarantee you that if I did, they'd have a wrench in their hand by age 2.
You might be surprised at how little a parent can do to force a child's interests to align with theirs.

Dan

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Trouble is that we no longer reward mechanical abilities, those that do the actual hands on work only get more work to do. Those that play at their desks are the ones that move up.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
You might be surprised at how little a parent can do to force a child's interests to align with theirs.

Dan
I don't agree. I know of many children that have fathers that are/were dentists, auto mechanics, doctors, lawyers, etc. who have gone on to follow in their father's footsteps.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I don't agree. I know of many children that have fathers that are/were dentists, auto mechanics, doctors, lawyers, etc. who have gone on to follow in their father's footsteps.
Thats
That is true but by any real measure its the exception not the rule, My brother and I had different interests than our father and took very different career paths . I have three adult boys and none of them have followed in my footsteps, The same is true of my brother's two children. We received and have tried to pass on a sense of personal responsibility and respect for fellow human beings. Thankfully that does seem to have taken. I consider that a far greater accomplishment than passing on mechanical interests or skills.

Dan

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
One other thing to check on. Those that have the adjustable wheel width rear axles. There is a wedge pin that secures the hub to the axle, needs to be torqued to 160 ftlb. Not one or two ugga duggas either. I can usually tell when mine need torquing, they start to click while traveling. They are reversible too, so when one side wears, just flip it over.

I have an F350 and also put a drop on the washer as per the manual, otherwise the torque wrench won't apply proper torque as the nut will chatter instead of slide. However NEVER put any lube of any kind on the threads, that is a sure fire way to stretch the bolt or stud and cause premature failure. If the threads or nuts are rusty, use a wire brush to clean them and a thread chaser.

When we travel on vacation pulling the 5th wheel I carry a full set of 1/2" drive tools and a torque wrench. Never know when a tire might need to be replaced.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
That is why you should use a torque wrench on the lug nuts when you install the tire and rim and check them after you use the tractor for a few hours. The same goes for your car. I don't use an impact wrench for tightening fasteners, just for taking them off and putting them on securely, but finish the tightening process with the proper tool to know exactly how tight they are, and that all are equal.
Right on. I’d also offer that a way to add a visual torque mark is with a paint marker or even permanent…over time if you have to tighten you may have several marks, but if you mark the nut to the rim with a line you’ll know if the nut has moved with a glance.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
LOL! I've been a Machine Repair Journeyman for over 30 years and do ALL my home, car, and tractor repairs. My son had no interest in learning anything of that nature no matter how hard I tried. Now he's 26 and has to figure it out himself or pay someone else to do it. BTW, he told me he wishes he had spent more time learning from me.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thats

That is true but by any real measure its the exception not the rule, My brother and I had different interests than our father and took very different career paths . I have three adult boys and none of them have followed in my footsteps, The same is true of my brother's two children. We received and have tried to pass on a sense of personal responsibility and respect for fellow human beings. Thankfully that does seem to have taken. I consider that a far greater accomplishment than passing on mechanical interests or skills.

Dan
What I learned watching my kids and grand kids, is that they are all born with their own unique personalities and abilities.

Trying to form them into something they are not is VERY likely to fail. I would never even try...

I am so different than my dad, as he was from his I think...it is the way life works in my experience. To the point that I pity any kids that were somehow forced by their parents to be different than what they are naturally.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I check the torque on mine every 50 hours. It was at 200 hours first time none of them moved when checked/tightened with a torque wrench. I found that a bit surprising but agree checking torque is a needed item on routine maintenance list.
Just a little curious about torque wrenches. What brand is good for someone that is an occasional user? I see prices ranging from $25 up to $400. I can see myself using one a couple of times a year but would want one that actually works without spending big bucks on one.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Just a little curious about torque wrenches. What brand is good for someone that is an occasional user? I see prices ranging from $25 up to $400. I can see myself using one a couple of times a year but would want one that actually works without spending big bucks on one.
My 2cents, are you building engines or are you only torquing lug nuts? I would get a 1/2”. It will cover most on your kubota.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
This video might help you. I have seen other tests and they showed the cheap ones were good enough as well.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The most important thing with a torque wrench is to set it back to zero when it isn't in use unless your torque wrench is a beam type that doesn't have settings. Some of the new electronic torque wrenches don't have this as a requirement.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am fond of these split beam clicker wrenches from Precision Instruments ( CDI/SnapOn). They are accurate and stay in calibration better then the micrometer style. Because they don't use a spring there is also no need to set them to zero when not in use.

They are modestly expense - a 250 lb-ft 1/2" drive will set you back about $180. They are an industrial quality tool and if cared for will last multiple lifetimes.

Dan

71gpsnQHtiL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I used to have a Snap on one like the above, great tool and was stolen along with the entire top box. $15,000 in tools GONE! That was 20 years ago and I have yet to replace half of what was stolen.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I checked the torque on my lug nuts after the first 5 hours and found that one of the front studs was stripped. Had the dealer come out and replace it. Was told that it was probably due to an overly agressive impact gun during set up.
I know that this thread has been quiet awhile, but I just checked the lug nuts in my LX2610, and found a stripped lug on the front left wheel. I know, I was late to check them, since I now have 42 hours on the tractor, but it's a bit frustrating.

I'm taking it into my dealer this Friday for the 50 hr maintenance, because they offer free labor on the first 50 hr maintenance.

Other than this lug nut, I've only one other warranty issue on this tractor. And that's adjustment on the 3 point. At full lift, it makes a noise, which is addressed in the manual as being out of adjustment.