Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Hello neighbor

Our dog Farfel looks a lot like Mitzi. I had our two at the vet this week and realized that Daisy is just about 10 now and Farfel is 9 - time flies, I thought they were 6 and 7.
Farfel and Mitzi look a lot lot other dog pix posted here. Do yo know what breed(s) Mitzi is? We rescued Farfel from Houston and were told he is a yellow lab. I have my doubts tho. His ears seem way too floppy.

View attachment 70127
Looks like a lab but doesn't really matter, beautiful dog.

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks bearbait :)
Farfel is a great dog. He is the only 'velcro' dog I ever had. We are attached. When I used to go to the office, pre-covid, he would wait by the door going into the garage for me to come home. I often wish he would be more independent. Just recently he and daisy have started going off in the woods themselves (fenced in).

In the pic I posted he is looking for chipmunk holes. We walk up the driveway to get the mail together. Because I don't leash him for this, I make him stop at the last turn and wait for me to come back. This is how he spends his time waiting.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ollie has some health issues and is on a bunch of meds, but he’s holding strong.

Mom sometimes takes a picture after their mile walk. Was a 3 mile run for years, but he still loves it and his Mom….

C8FCD9A8-18A6-4FAA-B3CF-CE21F6D5653B.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ollie has some health issues and is on a bunch of meds, but he’s holding strong.

Mom sometimes takes a picture after their mile walk. Was a 3 mile run for years, but he still loves it and his Mom….

View attachment 70143
Gypsy has been averaging 3 miles a day walking since we moved to the city. It's 1/4 of a mile down to the end of the sidewalk from our driveway.

She does a 1/2 mile before I leave for work, and 1/2 mile before my wife leaves for work. Then between 3 and 4 walks a night.

She's slimmed up some since the move. We were averaging about a 1 mile a day at the old house.

Since we don't have a fenced in yard any more, we have had to make some adjustments 😁😁😁

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks bearbait :)
Farfel is a great dog. He is the only 'velcro' dog I ever had. We are attached. When I used to go to the office, pre-covid, he would wait by the door going into the garage for me to come home. I often wish he would be more independent. Just recently he and daisy have started going off in the woods themselves (fenced in).

In the pic I posted he is looking for chipmunk holes. We walk up the driveway to get the mail together. Because I don't leash him for this, I make him stop at the last turn and wait for me to come back. This is how he spends his time waiting.
It's only been the last year or so that I can let my 15 year old beagle walk with us without a leash and for the most part he does real good but if not he has slowed down enough that I can catch him now.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
Harvey and Mabel, they are brother and sister. They hunt waterfowl and upland.
20211113_162828.jpg
20211023_142537.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Harvey and Mabel, they are brother and sister. They hunt waterfowl and upland. View attachment 70206 View attachment 70207
That is awesome and congrats to you, many hours of training, great photo thanks for sharing....dang I miss my Nova Scotia duck toller but I've always had a love for labs. This is Jake the toller and Nick my beagle when I was much younger and I'll never forget either.

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

egilchrest

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Sep 16, 2021
Oxford, CT USA
Hello neighbor

Our dog Farfel looks a lot like Mitzi. I had our two at the vet this week and realized that Daisy is just about 10 now and Farfel is 9 - time flies, I thought they were 6 and 7.
Farfel and Mitzi look a lot like other dog pix posted here. Do yo know what breed(s) Mitzi is? We rescued Farfel from Houston and were told he is a yellow lab. I have my doubts tho. His ears seem way too floppy.

View attachment 70127
Mitzi is a pure yellow lab. Looks like Farfel is mostly lab, the ears suggest there might be some hound in there too.
Time does fly indeed. It's hard for me to believe, between Mitzi and her predecessor, Pebbles (also a yellow lab), I have had a constant companion for over 25 years between the two of them. It is such a joy to have unconditional love around you all the time.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
That is awesome and congrats to you, many hours of training, great photo thanks for sharing....dang I miss my Nova Scotia duck toller but I've always had a love for labs. This is Jake the toller and Nick my beagle when I was much younger and I'll never forget either.
Thanks! It's definitely a lot of training. They can both do triple marked retrieves pretty well. It's always a challenge training them for blind retrieves. We have to constantly work at it.

Those NS duck tollers are very unique, you don't see too many. I would love to see one in action someday. Beagles are fun too, I love watching them hunt. I thought about getting one a while back but our snowshoe hare population isn't what it used to be. I like having the option of either hunting upland birds or waterfowl depending on the weather. They are both trained to hunt wild turkey also. We're allowed to use dogs in the fall for turkeys. I've even taken them squirrel hunting. They won't tree squirrels but they love to retrieve squirrels.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thanks! It's definitely a lot of training. They can both do triple marked retrieves pretty well. It's always a challenge training them for blind retrieves. We have to constantly work at it.

Those NS duck tollers are very unique, you don't see too many. I would love to see one in action someday. Beagles are fun too, I love watching them hunt. I thought about getting one a while back but our snowshoe hare population isn't what it used to be. I like having the option of either hunting upland birds or waterfowl depending on the weather. They are both trained to hunt wild turkey also. We're allowed to use dogs in the fall for turkeys. I've even taken them squirrel hunting. They won't tree squirrels but they love to retrieve squirrels.
My duck toller (Jake) was a great retriever but not the greatest at hunting which probably wasn't his fault, they're only as good as their trainer and I made plenty of mistakes him being my first hunting dog. He was a super smart dog but as head strong as they come, he would learn the first time you showed him but then decide if he wanted to do it. Nick my beagle was as good as they come when it came to hunting and pretty much anything else for that matter. He was known as the perfect dog by my friends and family and myself. I, we decided on the duck toller, that being what my wife really had her heart set on however if it had of been my decision alone I would have got a lab.

doublebass73

Equipment
Oct 7, 2020
NH
My duck toller (Jake) was a great retriever but not the greatest at hunting which probably wasn't his fault, they're only as good as their trainer and I made plenty of mistakes him being my first hunting dog. He was a super smart dog but as head strong as they come, he would learn the first time you showed him but then decide if he wanted to do it. Nick my beagle was as good as they come when it came to hunting and pretty much anything else for that matter. He was known as the perfect dog by my friends and family and myself. I, we decided on the duck toller, that being what my wife really had her heart set on however if it had of been my decision alone I would have got a lab.
These are the first dogs I've trained for hunting too so I've made a lot of mistakes. Thankfully they are labs which are one of the most forgiving breeds to train. When I picked Harvey as a puppy I unknowing picked an alpha so he is very headstrong too. He has a lot of his own ideas about things so the way I have to train him is to be more alpha than him. Mabel on the other hand is very sensitive so she was super easy to train. She always wants to please but is so sensitive that you have to be careful not to correct her too hard. In the future I will only pick female labs that are middle of the road or on the more sensitive side. They are both amazingly calm and well behaved in public. I take them shopping at Lowes and Home Depot and people are amazed at how calm and friendly they are. I like labs because they are dual purpose hunters. If the weather is going to be rainy, snowy or windy we hunt waterfowl. If it's going to be a bluebird day we'll hunt upland birds.

I wouldn't mind getting a beagle at some point. Our snowshoe hare season runs until March 31st so I'd be able to hunt all winter.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
These are the first dogs I've trained for hunting too so I've made a lot of mistakes. Thankfully they are labs which are one of the most forgiving breeds to train. When I picked Harvey as a puppy I unknowing picked an alpha so he is very headstrong too. He has a lot of his own ideas about things so the way I have to train him is to be more alpha than him. Mabel on the other hand is very sensitive so she was super easy to train. She always wants to please but is so sensitive that you have to be careful not to correct her too hard. In the future I will only pick female labs that are middle of the road or on the more sensitive side. They are both amazingly calm and well behaved in public. I take them shopping at Lowes and Home Depot and people are amazed at how calm and friendly they are. I like labs because they are dual purpose hunters. If the weather is going to be rainy, snowy or windy we hunt waterfowl. If it's going to be a bluebird day we'll hunt upland birds.

I wouldn't mind getting a beagle at some point. Our snowshoe hare season runs until March 31st so I'd be able to hunt all winter.
Enjoy every moment with your dogs, it all goes by way too fast. Some of the best times of my life were running my beagles with my friends.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Enjoy every moment with your dogs, it all goes by way too fast. Some of the best times of my life were running my beagles with my friends.
I forgot to mention that we had 26 geese out front this morning and a ton of sea ducks, never thought to get pictures was too busy cleaning up blow downs after the big storm yesterday.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Sadly, she lost her battle with cancer on Monday, but Shadow was a loyal member of our family and grew up alongside our youngest grandson.

My Shadow looked exactly like your Shadow!
She is long gone now, but amazingly lived for 17 years 7 months.
Have a 2yr old white Lab now named Lady Sadie.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Mitzi has been my constant companion for almost 14 years. She is with me at the office all day and on the weekends is out helping with all the projects. She is still going strong (most days), just a little bit slower.
View attachment 69965 View attachment 69966
We have our 2yr. old Lady Sadie now, and she is a pure white copy of your "Mitzi".
They are SO full of love!