Trailering w F150

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
2011 F150 SCREW 6.5' bed 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost engine, 3.73 rear axle 10 ply LT tires Max Tow package. Towing a LoadTrail 8324 14k GVW trailer with a M5660 with loader, loaded rear tires 120 miles round trip no problems. I know the trailer is back there but the Ecoboost loves to work.

Reactions: 2 users

McBuck

Equipment
L3560LE/LA555/RC1872
Oct 30, 2021
North Georgia
2011 F150 SCREW 6.5' bed 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost engine, 3.73 rear axle 10 ply LT tires Max Tow package. Towing a LoadTrail 8324 14k GVW trailer with a M5660 with loader, loaded rear tires 120 miles round trip no problems. I know the trailer is back there but the Ecoboost loves to work.
Imma have to get me some suspension bags I think though...thats a lot of weight on the rear.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
The yellow on the drivers side door will tell you what your payload is.
Take the weight of all the gear in the truck people bags etc then subtract it from the GVW that is what is left for tongue weight.

With the 2.7 EB you will be fine. Here is a really good forum for trailing with a F150.

Reactions: 1 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
From previous time at auto companies, the trucks were tow tested (engine/trans cooling, heat damage, etc.) on Az Highway 68 east of Bullhead City. Trucks were loaded up to GCWR, with high profile trailers. The route was over 12 miles with average grade at 6%. In the summer, it's up to 120°F at the bottom and maybe 100°F at the top. Certifying with high profile trailers was a Marketing move. The SAE spec was GCWR with a lower profile trailer like a Haulmark and specified a minimum speed of 45 mph.
All of the auto companies used that route. The automakers had to maintain at least 45 mph with the SAE spec trailer in order to advertise GCWR. A/C shutdown, engine & trans overheating was not allowed.
I wasn't involved in brake testing, but knew some of the automakers used a mountain route in Pa.

Reactions: 1 user

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Imma have to get me some suspension bags I think though...thats a lot of weight on the rear.
I forgot to mention that I use weight distribution hitch with the LoadTrail. Also, I can "adjust" the tongue weight by moving the tractor fore and aft.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
When you get your trailer and whatever else, post pics. Remember it didn’t happen without pictures

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
re:

There’s a huge difference between slow travel on gravel roads and freeway speed travel in traffic.

yup, ANY idiot can drive on a freeway..see that all the time. It takes SKILL and KNOWLEDGE to actually drive on a gravel road with a load, and you don't go slow with a log hauler behind you...
I drive on gravel and off road daily. I’m a forester. I probably have more experience with that type of driving than most people. But, a heavy trailer on a half ton truck going 75 mph on the freeway can get scary pretty quick if the traffic situation requires a quick stop.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
'a quick stop' ,here on the 401 around Toronto means you'll plow into the back ends of 10-15 cars before stopping. NOBODY leaves '2 car lengths' between cars. Too many cars, too little blacktop(and there's NO more land to pave over)
It doesn't matter how well prepared YOU and your equipment are, it's the IDIOTS on the roads you can't control....

Reactions: 2 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I haul a 12’ dump trailer and my BX23S with an ‘08 F150 5.4L. Could I use a bigger truck? Well who couldn’t? I certainly notice it back there, but it hauls just fine. Though I do need to address rear suspension, pretty sure I wrecked it putting a pallet of pavers in the bed last year.

Brakes work good, I routinely check air pressure in trailer tires, and truck is maintained accordingly. Truck has 194K and still rolling with original motor and transmission

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
From previous time at auto companies, the trucks were tow tested (engine/trans cooling, heat damage, etc.) on Az Highway 68 east of Bullhead City. Trucks were loaded up to GCWR, with high profile trailers. The route was over 12 miles with average grade at 6%. In the summer, it's up to 120°F at the bottom and maybe 100°F at the top. Certifying with high profile trailers was a Marketing move. The SAE spec was GCWR with a lower profile trailer like a Haulmark and specified a minimum speed of 45 mph.
All of the auto companies used that route. The automakers had to maintain at least 45 mph with the SAE spec trailer in order to advertise GCWR. A/C shutdown, engine & trans overheating was not allowed.
I wasn't involved in brake testing, but knew some of the automakers used a mountain route in Pa.
I believe that is the section of PA Route 30 coming down the mountain to Ligonier, Pa. you are referring to. I have heard that story a few times. My farm is not far from there. I proposed to my wife on the summit there and enjoyed pancakes afterward it Ruthies Diner at the bottom. Beautiful country. There is a private club called Rolling Rock that attracts visitors from far and wide located there as well. It would be a great place to test brakes as there is a runaway truck ramp available should a failure occur. I might head up there shortly for the night. A magical mountainous resort area. The Laurel Highlands. I know you weren't asking but I cant help but express my love of the area. Have a great weekend!

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I believe that is the section of PA Route 30 coming down the mountain to Ligonier, Pa. you are referring to. I have heard that story a few times. My farm is not far from there. I proposed to my wife on the summit there and enjoyed pancakes afterward it Ruthies Diner at the bottom. Beautiful country. There is a private club called Rolling Rock that attracts visitors from far and wide located there as well. It would be a great place to test brakes as there is a runaway truck ramp available should a failure occur. I might head up there shortly for the night. A magical mountainous resort area. The Laurel Highlands. I know you weren't asking but I cant help but express my love of the area. Have a great weekend!
Sounds like a nice place.
Ever notice any brakes smoking coming down the mountain?