Trailering w F150

McBuck

Equipment
L3560LE/LA555/RC1872
Oct 30, 2021
North Georgia
Ok, I'm wondering if any of you have trailered a L3560 using a F150? The 3560 with FEL and cutter should be right at 4000lbs and then another appx 1800 with trailer. So...5800lbs-6000lbs...my 2018 F150 says max tow weight is 9000lbs That seems heavy to me for my little V6 but thats what the manual has. I have trailered my Honda Pioneer 700 and I know its back there but its only about 3000 pounds w trailer; the L3560 would be double that weight. Anyone trailering a L3560 & bush hog with a V6 F150?
Yeah, I know I need a F250 or similar...Anybody have an extra $70 grand for a new truck?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I used to haul about 7000# total of dump trailer and ponypoop, for years, with my '97 F150 regcab/shtbox. ZERO issues. Have the 4.6V8 in it though. Providing the gearing is correct, you'll be OK.
Just be sure to defeat the OD when hauling the trailer. It'd be nice if your trailer had brakes on BOTH axles.
Those that say you 'need' a bigger truck may not have grown up on rural farms or sen what folks did in the 40s-50-60s to get equipment 1,000s of miles away on 2 lane gravel roads.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I used to haul about 7000# total of dump trailer and ponypoop, for years, with my '97 F150 regcab/shtbox. ZERO issues. Have the 4.6V8 in it though. Providing the gearing is correct, you'll be OK.
Just be sure to defeat the OD when hauling the trailer. It'd be nice if your trailer had brakes on BOTH axles.
Those that say you 'need' a bigger truck may not have grown up on rural farms or sen what folks did in the 40s-50-60s to get equipment 1,000s of miles away on 2 lane gravel roads.
There’s a huge difference between slow travel on gravel roads and freeway speed travel in traffic.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It will pull it fine (given you can get the tractor properly on the trailer without excess tongue weight). You will definitely know its back there.

🤣 OD off, thats 1990s there. Put it in tow/haul mode.

Reactions: 1 user

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have towed a toy box trailer, fully loaded, approx 7,000 pounds with my F150 many times over the continental divide, and on many paved and gravel roads thru the mountains. At least 5K miles towing this. I have a 2011 F150 w/ a 5.0 engine.
The key to towing is not just driving safely under the conditions, but having quality equipment. My trailer has 225/75/15 load range G all steel radials ( dual axle) ( my 2 axle car hauler, that I tow my tractor with, has the same) and I use an EZ lift load stabilization system on the hitch. Tow ball SHANK size matters as well. Carrying weight is rated on shank size, not just tow ball size. I also always use appropriate air in the load leveling air bags on my truck.
By using this type of equipment, I can safely tow up to the maximum capabilities of my pickup.
Here’s the problem many people run into while towing. A standard 7K trailer, a harbor freight tow ball rated at 3,500 lbs. original load range B or C tires. Right there you should only tow a couple quads. Not a tractor, not a car, or travel trailer.
What is your life worth? How about the family’s in vehicles around you? An F150 is a great tow vehicle, and with quality equipment, you can tow the legal limit down the highway safely. It’s done all the time. Towing with minimum quality equipment, limits your towing capabilities to maybe HALF or less. I’ll get off my soapbox, but look at your equipment, and drive like your towing, that makes a world of difference.

McBuck

Equipment
L3560LE/LA555/RC1872
Oct 30, 2021
North Georgia
I have towed a toy box trailer, fully loaded, approx 7,000 pounds with my F150 many times over the continental divide, and on many paved and gravel roads thru the mountains. At least 5K miles towing this. I have a 2011 F150 w/ a 5.0 engine.
The key to towing is not just driving safely under the conditions, but having quality equipment. My trailer has 225/75/15 load range G all steel radials ( dual axle) ( my 2 axle car hauler, that I tow my tractor with, has the same) and I use an EZ lift load stabilization system on the hitch. Tow ball SHANK size matters as well. Carrying weight is rated on shank size, not just tow ball size. I also always use appropriate air in the load leveling air bags on my truck.
By using this type of equipment, I can safely tow up to the maximum capabilities of my pickup.
Here’s the problem many people run into while towing. A standard 7K trailer, a harbor freight tow ball rated at 3,500 lbs. original load range B or C tires. Right there you should only tow a couple quads. Not a tractor, not a car, or travel trailer.
What is your life worth? How about the family’s in vehicles around you? An F150 is a great tow vehicle, and with quality equipment, you can tow the legal limit down the highway safely. It’s done all the time. Towing with minimum quality equipment, limits your towing capabilities to maybe HALF or less. I’ll get off my soapbox, but look at your equipment, and drive like your towing, that makes a world of difference.

Agreed 100% I don't want to be at the mininum, and the truck mfg specs indicate that up to 9000lbs and I am a coule of thousand under that. The trailer will have brakes as you said, and I will need to see what the tire size is so thank you for that point. I was somewhat concerned about the ball and shank size and you mentioned that as well.....any recommendations on that? Funny that you mentioned the airbags too! I thought about that as well but I don't have any experience with them. My neighbor used to use them on his truck when towing a 5th wheel camper.
I will not be towing very far though; maybe 20-25 miles max.

One other thing...it isn't so much about the towing...it is about the stopping too!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Does your truck have the tow package installed (w/integrated brake controller)? Just be sure to look up the correct towing specs for your vehicle (ford is pitiful in that area) whereas most other manufactures post it on the door jamb.

In any event, which V6 are you referring to (there are at least 5 variants in "V6")? If you have any of the ecoboost models or the 3.0 powerstroke, I'd say no sweat at all in pulling the load you describe.

I pull the same load with the same year F150 with the V8 and don't have any trouble. I don't even bother with tow/haul mode with that weight unless I'm in hilly terrain.

I would agree with the points stated above regarding tow ball capacity. Just keep in mind that you may be close or actually exceed the "recommended" tongue weight capacity of the hitch itself. In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
Agreed 100% I don't want to be at the mininum, and the truck mfg specs indicate that up to 9000lbs and I am a coule of thousand under that. The trailer will have brakes as you said, and I will need to see what the tire size is so thank you for that point. I was somewhat concerned about the ball and shank size and you mentioned that as well.....any recommendations on that? Funny that you mentioned the airbags too! I thought about that as well but I don't have any experience with them. My neighbor used to use them on his truck when towing a 5th wheel camper.
I will not be towing very far though; maybe 20-25 miles max.

One other thing...it isn't so much about the towing...it is about the stopping too!
I don’t believe I stated, but yes, both of my trailers have dual axle brakes, and my truck has a factory brake controller unit. You can set you “Gain” on the brake controller to you load.

you can pick up some good Firestone or air ride bags, that level your load, as needed for around $300. If you install them yourself. Takes about 2 hours, with hand tools.
The male hitch that pins into your Tow vehicle has a rating also. If you use an EZ lift, it has a 1 1/4” SHANK hole for the tow ball, weather it’s 2” or 2 5/16” ball size. Both the EZ Lift ( or Sway controller brand by name) and 1 1/4” shank are rated at 10K or more. The stabilization bars, help level the load, and spread the weight over the full length of the truck and trailer, plus they help Greatly with sway.
A set of all steel Radial tires, look like small semi truck tires, and have a similar rating. You can feel the difference with quality tires.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Which V6 engine do you have along with what gears? I have towed an enclosed trailer with a Shelby inside and some other stuff weighting in at ~9K. I towed it from OH to TN though WV. I had no problem with the 3.5 eco boost. I towed an old Ford Industrial (8000 I think) from Bremerton WA to Bellingham WA with my 1997 F150 with the 3.8 liter V6. It towed if great.

Pulling it is easy stopping it is the problem.

Reactions: 1 users

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
To add more. On my flat bed car hauler, ( that hauls my Kubota) I have thru bolted D rings ( like a semi truck) and I use 4 closed hook 10K rated ratchet straps, with 10K rated axle straps. You could pick up my trailer, and shake it upside down, and my tractor would not move. My motto in life is “OVER BUILT IS UNDER RATED” if each link in the chain is great quality , you have NO weak links. The goal is to tow seamlessly every time, never having any issues.

McBuck

Equipment
L3560LE/LA555/RC1872
Oct 30, 2021
North Georgia
Does your truck have the tow package installed (w/integrated brake controller)? Just be sure to look up the correct towing specs for your vehicle (ford is pitiful in that area) whereas most other manufactures post it on the door jamb.

In any event, which V6 are you referring to (there are at least 5 variants in "V6")? If you have any of the ecoboost models or the 3.0 powerstroke, I'd say no sweat at all in pulling the load you describe.

I pull the same load with the same year F150 with the V8 and don't have any trouble. I don't even bother with tow/haul mode with that weight unless I'm in hilly terrain.

I would agree with the points stated above regarding tow ball capacity. Just keep in mind that you may be close or actually exceed the "recommended" tongue weight capacity of the hitch itself. In any event, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have the 2.7L Eco Boost and it does have the tow package. All the specs say 8500-9000 MAXIMUM, and I emphasize MAX. Still seems like a lot to me. While not extremly hilly here in the valley, there are quite a few hills in the immediate area, and within 15 miles or less in any direction, I would be on the Blue Ridge....and thats probably going to be mostly a '"no go zone" for me.

Max Tongue 1160lb
Weight Dist 11500lb
Max Carrying 5000lb

This is what is on the hitch, so there is a bit of confusion to me with such discrepancy on those numbers. I need to look all that up.
Its a Ford hitch

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have the 2.7L Eco Boost and it does have the tow package. All the specs say 8500-9000 MAXIMUM, and I emphasize MAX. Still seems like a lot to me. While not extremly hilly here in the valley, there are quite a few hills in the immediate area, and within 15 miles or less in any direction, I would be on the Blue Ridge....and thats probably going to be mostly a '"no go zone" for me.

Max Tongue 1160lb
Weight Dist 11500lb
Max Carrying 5000lb

This is what is on the hitch, so there is a bit of confusion to me with such discrepancy on those numbers. I need to look all that up.
Its a Ford hitch
The specs on the hitch are for the hitch itself, not the truck.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

There’s a huge difference between slow travel on gravel roads and freeway speed travel in traffic.

yup, ANY idiot can drive on a freeway..see that all the time. It takes SKILL and KNOWLEDGE to actually drive on a gravel road with a load, and you don't go slow with a log hauler behind you...

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA

Max Tongue 1160lb
Weight Dist 11500lb
Max Carrying 5000lb

Its a Ford hitch
Right. Technically, your max weight for conventional trailer would be 500# tongue weight. As Fordtech mentioned, that is the limitation of that factory installed hitch, not the truck itself.

It sounds like your rig should do just fine. Honestly, I wouldn't worry much about it. You'll feel it, but those turbo's really shine when pulling in hills. Especially, when mated to the 10 speed. Put it in tow/haul mode and carry on.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes, we have with F150. Before my dad bought the Ram2500, he had a F150 and would occasionally move my tractor around with his truck. You knew it was back there. Actually, my Expedition did better with it than his F150 so we started using it until he got his Ram2500. Tried to find a picture showing the truck (F150) and trailer together and below is the best I got which just shows a little of the truck bed and when we were trying to see how the tractor and mower would fit on there (they didn't with the gates we have on the trailer).

Resized_20191116_083711.jpeg
Resized_20191012_162233.jpeg

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho

Max Tongue 1160lb
Weight Dist 11500lb
Max Carrying 5000lb

Its a Ford hitch
So that’s what is stamped on the female side that came with your truck?
tongue weight, is the weight on the ball attachment point of your trailer. The downforce weight that you drop on your truck. You can lighten or make heavier, by moving your tractor back or forward on the trailer. You will feel the difference. You want a few hundred pounds toward, not a “light” tongue weight.
Weight dist. Is max pulling/towing weight. Usually more than your truck is capable of pulling. ( legally rated at)
Max carrying is everything in and on the truck. Passenger weight, fuel, junk in the trunk, and tongue weight.
So 4 people750lbs, fuel 100 lbs, a quad and ice chests1200lbs, 600 lb tongue weight towing 5K trailer. =Safe to go down the road. PROVIDING tires are rated for weight (both truck and trailer) hitch pieces are rated where you need to be, and trailer balanced well. Every link in the chain matters. A crappy ball, that fails, and your trailer passes you will ruin your life and maybe someone else’s too

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's the tough part about towing with a cutter on the back. You really need a long trailer to balance the load especially when using a half ton truck.

Reactions: 2 users