L4701 vs MX5400

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Excellent post. You changed all my plans.

Looks like I'll go MX 5400 with a cab. Now to get to ordering it and wait.

My wife says get everything you want and do it once. Good advice.
I very much doubt you'll regret that decision. I went with just about every option available when I ordered the MX6000 with cab, things such as the air ride seat, external mirrors, work lights, rear defrost/wiper, top-n-tilt, 3rd function, three rear remotes and so on. I'd rather get it all done right the first time around and I plan on keeping this tractor for many, many years to come.

Good luck with your order and I hope you get it sooner rather than later. :)

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Excellent post. You changed all my plans.

Looks like I'll go MX 5400 with a cab. Now to get to ordering it and wait.

My wife says get everything you want and do it once. Good advice.
Sounds like you have the story book ‘green light’….get while the getting is good…happy shopping and don’t forget to take care of the one that supports you.

Reactions: 1 user

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I very much doubt you'll regret that decision. I went with just about every option available when I ordered the MX6000 with cab, things such as the air ride seat, external mirrors, work lights, rear defrost/wiper, top-n-tilt, 3rd function, three rear remotes and so on. I'd rather get it all done right the first time around and I plan on keeping this tractor for many, many years to come.

Good luck with your order and I hope you get it sooner rather than later. :)
I plan to do the same on MX5400.

What is top n tilt?

And how difficult is it to remove the cab? I' m mechanically savvy so that's not an issue. But do you have to remove AC or fluid lines for the heater? I'll have a high ceiling shop and a winch to lift it.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
What is top n tilt?
6F40DA41-E012-475C-89CD-9EAFECE59BF7.jpeg

Hydraulic top link (top) and hydraulic sidelink (tilt). That will take up two of your rear remotes. Suggest getting at least one of the rear remotes with a float detent so you can float the top link or side link. Float capability can be useful for grading and mowing.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
View attachment 69079
Hydraulic top link (top) and hydraulic sidelink (tilt). That will take up two of your rear remotes. Suggest getting at least one of the rear remotes with a float detent so you can float the top link or side link. Float capability can be useful for grading and mowing.
Got it. Thanks.

I could have used that a few years ago on a grading project. Beats turning the top threaded shaft by hand. Gotta get that too.

Borane4

Equipment
M4-071
Dec 16, 2020
Texas
And how difficult is it to remove the cab? I' m mechanically savvy so that's not an issue. But do you have to remove AC or fluid lines for the heater? I'll have a high ceiling shop and a winch to lift it.
You dont really remove a factory Kubota cab. I guess you could remove the doors if you wanted to...but you wont. :)

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Thank you. I am in contact with DNR and plan to consult with them as necessary.

Which, respectfully, doesn't help my tractor with implement purchase regarding what I should include. I think a rotary cutter is a must. A flail mower is my preference over a rotary though.

Not to take my post off topic anymore. I'll post implement questions elsewhere on this forum.

I'm still undecided regarding L4701 or MX5400. The turbo bugs me because I've had turbo / computer issues with past owned F250's. Therefore my current F250 has a gasoline engine N/A.
The plus side to the MX is I could install a factory Cab later. And it's a big machine. I don't know what classifies what a compact tractor is. But an MX is not what I'd consider a compact.

Edit:. I've never worked on a farm so excuse my ignorance. Owned and operated compact tractors in the past. And frankly, an MX is something else in my eyes.
The MX over the 4701 it’s not even a debate

Reactions: 2 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Cab is real nice you won’t regret it. Tshirt and soft boots for winter work.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
There's nothing better than getting the green light from queen dream crusher!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Got it. Thanks.

I could have used that a few years ago on a grading project. Beats turning the top threaded shaft by hand. Gotta get that too.
I have top-n-tilt on my current MX and ordered the same for the new one. My BX didn't have it but I wouldn't be without it now. Not only is it really easy to hook up to rear implements that aren't conveniently aligned with the tractor, but it makes grading so much easier. I have a magnetic level on the quick hitch that tells me when the rear implement is level even if the tractor isn't. The only possible downside to the factory top-n-tilt other than cost is that the cylinder controlling the side link tends to blead down.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I plan to do the same on MX5400.

What is top n tilt?

As others have said, I'm not sure that you're going to want to pull the cab off the tractor.

I'm sure you've gone through the build process a number of times but here are the options I ordered above and beyond the obvious such as the FEL. I'm not trying to spend your money but I've found that the Kubota factory installed options are very well done and I want to get it all now rather than have to take the tractor back to the dealer for add-ons.

3rd function valve kit
Three rear remotes (one float)
Draft control kit
Top-n-tilt
Rod level indicator kit
130A alternator
Rear wiper kit
Rear window defogger
Work lights rear
Side mirror kit
CCV heater kit (block heater)
Air ride seat
Arm rest kit
7-pin connector kit (for my single axle PJ dump trailer)
Wheel weights

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
As others have said, I'm not sure that you're going to want to pull the cab off the tractor.

I'm sure you've gone through the build process a number of times but here are the options I ordered above and beyond the obvious such as the FEL. I'm not trying to spend your money but I've found that the Kubota factory installed options are very well done and I want to get it all now rather than have to take the tractor back to the dealer for add-ons.

3rd function valve kit
Three rear remotes (one float)
Draft control kit
Top-n-tilt
Rod level indicator kit
130A alternator
Rear wiper kit
Rear window defogger
Work lights rear
Side mirror kit
CCV heater kit (block heater)
Air ride seat
Arm rest kit
7-pin connector kit (for my single axle PJ dump trailer)
Wheel weights
Now that’s how you set one up! I’d also suggest a block heater depending on where you live.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Now that’s how you set one up! I’d also suggest a block heater depending on where you live.
My local dealer installs them in every tractor they sell so it's not really an option unless you tell them in advance not to install one. After the first winter with the BX I managed to burn up the block heater by leaving it plugged in 24/7. The following year I installed a water heater timer controller (high amperage) in the barn to turn a couple of outlets on/off. I set the timer to come on for an hour at 6am and again at 6pm (most likely when I'm moving snow), so this energizes the extension cord connected to the block heater. I also have a light plugged into the same circuit so that I can see from the house that the circuit is either on or off.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How did the block heater burn itself up? Is that a common problem?
All I know is that the block heater stopped working after that first winter and the resistance measured indicated that it was DOA. I got a new one from the dealership (under warranty) and installed it myself and never had another problem after turning it on/off with the water heater controller. Basically, there's no internal on/off feature within the block heater.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The local dealer I'm working with installs block heaters on every new tractor to my knowledge.

I got a hard quote today with what they have 'In Stock' It's an MX5400, w/o a cab or the top n tilt. I personally saw the tractor. Rear remotes are already installed. Adding 3rd function, 6' box scraper, 6' rotary cutter, LA1065 loader and Rim Guard.

I'm working out the numbers. My wife wants me to go for it, but I'm considering waiting until next year for a cab model. I'm going to dip into savings more than planned either way.

I'll let you all know here.

Thank you all for your advice.

Last edited:

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Allowing the engine to cool down to allow the oil lubricating the turbo bearings to cool can greatly extend the life of a turbo. I have thermocouples installed pre and post turbo on my '02 F250 that has 150K miles on the original turbo. I leave the engine running to allow the turbo to cool if pre-turbo temperatures exceed 375F. I let the MX cool down before shutting down if it's been running hard, as the manual suggests. I might add a thermocouple pre turbo to the new tractor so that I'm not idling the engine excessively.
Barring the thermocouples, can somebody give me a feel for "how long" to idle? My other tractors all had analog temp gauges, and I had a good feel for how cool (less warm?) they would get after a hard use. The Kubota has a digital gauge, and sits at "4 bars" all day long (once it's warmed up). Summer, winter, working hard, hardly working, after idling down, no change.

(Sorry for the thread jack -- both look like very capable tractors to me).

Bob

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Barring the thermocouples, can somebody give me a feel for "how long" to idle? My other tractors all had analog temp gauges, and I had a good feel for how cool (less warm?) they would get after a hard use. The Kubota has a digital gauge, and sits at "4 bars" all day long (once it's warmed up). Summer, winter, working hard, hardly working, after idling down, no change.

(Sorry for the thread jack -- both look like very capable tractors to me).

Bob
Based on what I see with my F250 pre and post turbo temps, I think that 5 minutes is plenty, but even 2 minutes is better than none.

Last edited:

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
I'm surprised Kubota still carries the L4701 given the MX5400 is just a few thousand more than the L4701 and is more tractor.