Shed upgrade started

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
You did a really great job!

BUT I am sure you will never be as good as your grandfather was...remember, he walked a long way to school every day as a kid, and it was UP HILL both ways! :ROFLMAO:
Well, I didn’t walk, but I’m pretty sure that a 26 mile school bus ride (up hill both ways and wishing for snow instead of cotton defoliant) counts. Good ol’ days of desegregation (is that still an acceptable word?) dictated we cross the county for a better education in a more balanced society. I went to a little country school (45 seniors in my graduation class at a 1-12 grade school) but still went on to get my engineering degree at my own expense and effort. I know he was proud of me for that because he got to see me do that rather than joining the military for the normal and easy way out for rural youth in the mid-70s. His sister in law, my great aunt, changed my life in one weekend. I still think she had dirt on someone on Admissions at the University of Alabama.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Today’s endeavors and accomplishments:

954F49AC-06DF-45F0-BC20-DD4FCA6571C4.jpeg
D6E58299-6AFD-4DC6-92BC-5C65085AB040.jpeg

Covered 115 sq ft (11.5 x 10) with recovered wood from pallets and crates. Also hung R13 insulation behind the wood if you’re asking. Nearly half the wall covering went on in one panel (to the right of the door). My son-in-law brought me 4 panels from a HUGE crate that just happened to be 10 feet long (the same height as my walls) and I figured they’d make short work for wall covering. Getting exactly the look I’m shooting for, like a cheap old buzzard refuses to pay a ransom for lumber. All lumber price jokes aside, I am actually targeting a repurposed look for the interior walls. The piece and patch work is entirely intended. It reminds me of my stepdad’s father’s old shop where I spent a lot of my teenage years learning things that the three generations coming behind me have no interest in. The internet and Information Age is to blame for a whole lotta laziness. Very useful, but too many are too dependent on electronic knowledge that they would be a bunch of lost balls in high weeds if their phone battery goes dead, the way I prefer mine. They’ll know one day they should have listened to grandpa like I did.
Trying to get enough work done so I can start establishing the layout and permanent locations for the benches and equipment so I don’t have to keep moving stuff back and forth. Closer still. I’m gonna put a heavy work bench/storage chest on that wall to mount my vise and drill press (lil feller). The storage is actually a repurposed captain’s locker from an old king size water bed frame that the previous owners left behind. Gonna replace the drawer glides and it should last a long time.

Reactions: 2 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got my new bucket forks today and the roll up doors are supposed to be delivered Friday. Just too hot to do anything harder than putting on the forks today. Might have to wait till after dark to put the doors up Friday/Saturday.

It’s muckin fuggy and hotter than a peck of pepper today. 93 actual with a feels-like of 104 according to the weather channel. This is what used to be prime weather for swimming pool sales and construction. Remember one pool that we did with temps at 107 in the shade and if there’s anything that is in short supply around a swimming pool, it’s shade. Think about the irony of building a place with no shade so you can cool off. I was chuckin sandy clay one shovel at a time out of an 11 foot deep hole doing a bottom prep over brand new shiny galvanized steel walls that were focusing the sun into the hole I was working in. I was a lot tougher and stupider back then.

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
One roll up door installed, one to go. All done except the seals. Will get that and all of the other door done tomorrow. No more blue tarps after that.
59AF21FD-E746-49AA-BF07-5D38A66E490B.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
One roll up door installed, one to go. All done except the seals. Will get that and all of the other door done tomorrow. No more blue tarps after that. View attachment 65167
Both doors done. Seals on, but not quite by the instructions from Rollup Doors Direct. Their instructions said to put the top seal on the curtain with Tek 1/4-1” screws. If I put screws through the sheet metal according to the directions, it’s gonna tie the last two wraps of the curtain together. Not sure how the door is gonna close if I do that. So I fastened it to the header and let the soft part rub the curtain. Reminds me of putting a playing card on my bike as kid so it would rub the spokes. Not what was called for, but it should work just fine to slow down drafts a little bit.

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Both doors done. Seals on, but not quite by the instructions from Rollup Doors Direct. Their instructions said to put the top seal on the curtain with Tek 1/4-1” screws. If I put screws through the sheet metal according to the directions, it’s gonna tie the last two wraps of the curtain together. Not sure how the door is gonna close if I do that. So I fastened it to the header and let the soft part rub the curtain. Reminds me of putting a playing card on my bike as kid so it would rub the spokes. Not what was called for, but it should work just fine to slow down drafts a little bit.
Looks perfect!

We used to use balloons...rather than playing cards. Made a nicer sound, but did not last very long... :D

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Looks perfect!

We used to use balloons...rather than playing cards. Made a nicer sound, but did not last very long... :D
Definitely taking on the characteristics I wanted. Newer style that matches the house outside, old-school workshop on the inside. It's a LOT of work, but the recovered pallet paneling is getting a lotta high marks from the family. Maybe they're just patting me on the back for being an idiot and doing it that way.

I tweaked my lower back Friday trying to lift something in a bad posture, so still not quite ready to be out jumping stumps today. It's pouring rain today, but the shop stays bone dry inside now. Got all my leaks (only 1 actually) accounted for, and unless it's a hard blowing rain outta the north, the new doors seal very nicely on the floor. Despite having the brush seals on the jamb, some rain still blows into the channels and runs inside. Not sure I'll be able to fix that, but we had a horizontal frog strangler last week and only a little got in. Not quite the swimming pool that I had before I got the roof on it. Most of our weather comes out of the southwest, so perhaps it won't be an issue. Everything on the floor has a layer of roofing felt under it, and is treated lumber. Hopefully a little water won't matter.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got asked for an update photo of my recycled pallet wall covering. So, without further ado:

45E1D518-BF2D-4B86-9CF2-4BE7F2C059D6.jpeg

I put drywall behind the wood stove because it’s more fire resistant than the desiccated pallet slats. I’m going to recycle some of the sheet metal from the old shack as a heat shield on top of that. No, I didn’t light the stove inside without the chimney. But I did set it up outside and burn a bunch of waste from the pallet recycling. The dry stuff burns very hot and very fast in that little store.

Attachments

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Love that wall!
Thanks for the flowers. I've made a few bloopers in it, but that's exactly what's giving it the character I'm looking for. Trimming the edges of the slats has proven to make them fit a LOT better, and prevent problems with gaps. It makes a LOT of man-glitter (saw dust) doing that, but it covers so much better. I gotta get one of those table saw diapers. I picked up a wheelbarrow load of sawdust today. There was so much, I had to shovel it because my little dust pan just disappeared in the pile. And that was just from the stuff I did nail removal on today. I broke down 15 pallets yesterday, and chopped up all the frames for future firewood (filled up the new rick in the photo already). Today, I started pulling nails. It's a slow go, but it sure looks good. Can't wait to see what a corrugated metal heat shield looks like behind that stove. The missus is already worried she'll never see me again, even with me retired.

• Haha

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
I am 100% sure you'll love the look of the heat shield! Although if you do not there is nothing I can do about that :LOL:

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The missus is already worried she'll never see me again, even with me retired.
Just make sure she knows where you keep your home brew, and that anytime she misses you she is welcome to bring one out...ROFL

AND that you love her company and multiple visits will be appreciated! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Just make sure she knows where you keep your home brew, and that anytime she misses you she is welcome to bring one out...ROFL

AND that you love her company and multiple visits will be appreciated! :ROFLMAO:
She actually put some in the fridge for me to watch the game tonite. She also came out and pulled nails while I was building the new lumber rack brackets and hanging them. Got the middle section finished off, and will start on the last 1/3 of the back wall tomorrow. She knows exactly where the home brew is because she helps me bottle it.

Kinda wish I hadn't watched the game, though. As usual, had to play against two teams (the home team and the zebras) in a hostile road game. Crimson Tide finally toppled from their spot on top. Defense didn't show up until the second half, and the offensive line didn't bother to show up at all. Took a total of 21 tries for one of Nick Saban's underlings to finally beat him. 100 wins in a row against unranked teams, and they let Texas A&M beat 'em tonite. A team the Bacon Bits can beat won against the #1 ranked team (for three years running)? Whodathunkit? And we were worried about Ole Miss? Gave them a complete and thorough a$$ whoopin' last week despite all the media hype they'd be the ones to knock us off our pedestal. Just didn't have the 'want to' tonight I guess. Quite possibly dashed any play-off hopes with one loss, because of the others they lost to.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
having no experience with metal roofing, what is usually done for insulation? bats? foam? foil sheets?

this shop building really came out awesome

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I will have to admit that I was quite skeptical when I read about your pallet/wall paneling plans. Well Sir, I should not have had any concerns because you met the challenge very well. (y) (y)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I will have to admit that I was quite skeptical when I read about your pallet/wall paneling plans. Well Sir, I should not have had any concerns because you met the challenge very well. (y) (y)
It's a whole lotta work and a slow go, but it sure looks good. And made a world of difference for sound deadening coupled with R-13 insulation, too. Most of it's hardwood (oak, sweetgum, poplar, and whatever else they make pallets out of), but there's some pine mixed in too. I'm leaving them outside to weather as much as possible before I put them up. After I get it done, I may mix some used motor oil with diesel and spray the entire inside walls just to make it aromatic enough to keep creepy crawlies out. Had a rather vicious 2" long centipede come crawling out from under some of the wood that I haven't pulled the nails out of yet. Not a critter you want to bite you.

I made a pallet buster to help speed up tearing down the pallets. If I had that to do again, I'd angle the fork on it just a little bit more so I don't have to bend over quite as far. But a handle made from 1" black pipe makes it nice and heavy to help with the force needed to pull the slats off the framing. If I wet them first, I seem to get a better yield from the slats and don't split as many of them. Pretty much, I'm chopping up all the spacers for stove wood. The framing is too thick for what I need, and have too many nails to try to re-purpose. I got a bunch of used pallets from my step-son, and those have nearly double the work in them getting all the little sawed off nails out of them. The advantage with them is that they have wider slats generally speaking. But the single use pallets I got from my son-in-law are all thicker hardwood and a LOT easier to disassemble because there's fewer nails and they're not corroded as bad.

I thought about getting a pneumatic nail remover, but I'm right at 75% complete now. Got nearly half way up the 3rd section of the back wall today. Not much point in getting something that will spend most of it's time laying in a drawer. Same reason I didn't switch to a brad nailer. I just got the smallest nails I could find for the framing nailer. It'll take any brand nails on any angle, so I can't complain at all about a cheap Harbor Freight nailer ($109 on sale plus another 10% Inside Track Club discount when I bought it). I've probably gone through 20000 nails with it, and VERY few jams. One was my fault completely (misadjusted the magazine) and another was because I hit a screw head under where I was putting the nail. It balled that nail up pretty good, and three more came out with it pretty much shaped like spaghetti. That was a frightening experience, and I still haven't figured out how that many nails came out with a single discharge.

One thing I've learned is how much easier it is if I go ahead and trim/edge both edges of every slat to a common width. I also pre-cut everything to 48 (standard pallet width), 32, and 16 inch pieces which makes putting it up go a lot faster. I've probably made at least 300 pounds of saw dust in the past few weeks. The only pieces I have to custom fit are at the corners or where I stitch the wall sections together, otherwise, they all fit on the 16" stud centers. I actually had a goal of it looking somewhat jinky, and I'm hitting that one outta the park. I kinda want to go get 5 sheets of plywood and cover either side of the East window like I did the west end, just for symmetry. The Missus wants me to keep going with the pallets. Easier said than done, but not impossible. Like I said, it's a lotta work, and something I'll never get my labor investment back from. Overall, though, I'm figuring it'll run the property value up about $20-30 K. What I'm doing with the tractor will add at least that much more, and give me plenty to do to keep outta the Missus' hair when I officially retire.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
having no experience with metal roofing, what is usually done for insulation? bats? foam? foil sheets?

this shop building really came out awesome
Well, actually, ventilation is the key to prevent condensate forming and subsequent inside corrosion. If the inside and outside surfaces of the sheet metal are the same temperature, it won't condense the moisture so bad. I haven't insulated the roof at all, but I also put down moisture barrier before I had the slab poured, so it's bone dry except when we get a blowing heavy rain like the other night. We had 13 inches of rain in 7 hours. I'm still debating putting up a sheet-rock ceiling to quieten the deafening roar when it's raining hard. That would help with the heating in there as well, I'm sure, but sealing it up like a house was never part of my plan. It's pretty darn close, but simply because I tend to overbuild every project I do.

I'm considering the spray foam on the underside of the roof panels and eaves if I decide to close in the ceiling. I'll have to run the numbers first, though, because the squirrely lumber prices pushed this WAY over budget. That's one of the reasons I elected to do the wall coverings with repurposed pallet slats. Since my labor costs nothing, the only costs I have is the nails and extra electricity to run the compressor. That's a pretty cheap wall covering. Probably could have done it much cheaper with drywall, and certainly a lot faster, but I'm not a fan of drywall in a place where heavy things are being rolled around and moved. Too easy to knock a hole in it.