What's cookin' boys?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
@mcmxi got the Cadillac of pellet grills 😁. I think he just has to take the meat out of the freezer and press a button on the app and the grill will take care of the rest 😂.

Love my pellet grill though btw
mcmxi - - there's a bunch of great cooks here.

Ford is a gifted cook. He can set you straight...not his first rodeo.

He rocks a pellet grill and Blackstone griddle like a friggin' pro...(y)

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@mcmxi got the Cadillac of pellet grills 😁. I think he just has to take the meat out of the freezer and press a button on the app and the grill will take care of the rest 😂.

Love my pellet grill though btw
Ha! Ha! If only! 😂 I got the grill "seasoned" which basically means I've burned off the oil on various metal parts. I also got it connected to the network.

I just took a 2-1/2 lb elk sirloin tip roast out of the freezer. Going to try that one first. I have a bunch of elk and deer loin and tenderloin so will get the hang of the Traeger before I ruin any of the nicer cuts.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ha! Ha! If only! 😂 I got the grill "seasoned" which basically means I've burned off the oil on various metal parts. I also got it connected to the network.

I just took a 2-1/2 lb elk sirloin tip roast out of the freezer. Going to try that one first. I have a bunch of elk and deer loin and tenderloin so will get the hang of the Traeger before I ruin any of the nicer cuts.
Your tip roast is a good first run.

The pellet grills are good at slow roasting, while giving some smoke flavor, as I understand them. Just don't dry it out.

Oh man, the tenderloins of deer......those are the best ones...

Do the tenders whole.

You want the grill screaming hot, medium rare at most....rare/blue is better.

Nothing more than salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic and some oil for browning before it hits the grill.

I want to eat those in absentia :p ....my mouth is watering already....

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

The pellet grills are good at slow roasting, while giving some smoke flavor, as I understand them. Just don't dry it out.

Do the tenders whole.

Nothing more than salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic and some oil for browning before it hits the grill.

I was wondering how to cook steaks on the Traeger so thanks for the advice. I bought a US Wagyu boneless rib eye steak the other day which was $9 for 1/4 lb! I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I'll put that on the Traeger on Sunday.

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I was wondering how to cook steaks on the Traeger so thanks for the advice. I bought a US Wagyu boneless rib eye steak the other day which was $9 for 1/4 lb! I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. I'll put that on the Traeger on Sunday.
Im not sure about the traeger, but on mine there is a sliding panel under the grate that allows you to open it to get direct flame for grilling. For my steaks its more of just a quick sear to get some grill marks on it 😁

3D1A37DE-A14F-467E-80B3-F84AD215EB4E.jpeg

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This will be goulash. Peasant style with ground beef and elbows.

The sauce is seasoned just like any “fancy” marinara I would make for something else. Get to use fresh oregano, parsley and basil this time of year.

Love this stuff, and cheap to make.

My mother could feed all 5 of us with leftovers besides.

When she started working outside the house second shift, I would make it to feed my siblings and Dad. I was 12 or so.

Back then, it was h-burg, onions we grew, tomatoes we canned, elbows, and S&P….no garlic, herbs or anything else…..

I loved it….

Still do, just made some improvements. :cool:

BB6F786F-5217-4CEE-8266-76090F60C78B.jpeg

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

Do the tenders whole.

As and old Deer hunting buddy of mine said " Bring it up to room temperature"

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My first Traeger experience is in the book, heck, my first smoking meat experience. I cheated a bit and bought some Traeger Big Game Rub from ACE. After prepping the sirloin I cheated again and used the "Beginner's Brisket" cook cycle that runs at 165F for 3-1/2 hours and then increases the temperature to 225F until the center of the meat reaches 190F (probe reading).

After six hours the probe was reporting 170F and it was late so I decided to remove the sirloin from the Traeger and cut into it to see how it was. The photo in the skillet shows the inside when it first came off the grill. It was melt in your mouth incredible! We ended up eating steaks last night but did get to taste the elk and then enjoy a bit more this morning. The photo on the cutting board shows the elk this morning when it was cold and it's still juicy and tender. My two dogs got to try some and they loved it too. It wasn't lost on me that I cooked the elk less than 150 yards from where I shot him last November.

The last photo is a screenshot of the Traeger app that shows the grill and probe temps when I first put the meat on the grill.

elk_1.jpg

sirloin_1.jpg

sirloin_2.jpg

sirloin_3.jpg

sirloin_4.jpg
traeger_app.jpg

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My first Traeger experience is in the book, heck, my first smoking meat experience.
We ended up eating steaks last night but did get to taste the elk and then enjoy a bit more this morning.
Very nice! (y)

Did you do the Wagyu steaks!?!?!? How were they? Never had one either, just wondering if worth it....

That elk roast looks awesome! Great first try!

Heck, I use some commercial rubs, etc., too. Let's someone else figure that spice blend out.....😉

Just a point for slicing up your elk tip roast....

Think of a chunk of meat like a piece 2x4 pine lumber. Has strength with grain, but no strength across the grain.

You want to slice across the grain so the meat doesn't have strength (e.g., tough).

In your pic, you're cutting along the grain. Just turn it 90 degrees, and you'll be golden.

A sirloin tip will have grain that varies throughout. Just try to slice across the grain as it allows. Nature of the cut.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing some more of your creations!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
mcmxi - - one thing I'll add is that 170 was a good temp to pull it.

It's also good you gave it some "rest time" after it came off. Resting allows the juices to redistribute within the roast. Yours looks perfect.

The internal temperature of a big chunk of meat can actually increase after it's taken off the grill.

If you pull a big roast at the "perfect" temp, for instance something you want medium rare, it can end up overdone after resting.

You also don't want to slice a roast just after taking off the grill, as all the juices will just run out and make it dry.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Very nice! (y)

Did you do the Wagyu steaks!?!?!? How were they? Never had one either, just wondering if worth it....

That elk roast looks awesome! Great first try!

Heck, I use some commercial rubs, etc., too. Let's someone else figure that spice blend out.....😉

Just a point for slicing up your elk tip roast....

Think of a chunk of meat like a piece 2x4 pine lumber. Has strength with grain, but no strength across the grain.

You want to slice across the grain so the meat doesn't have strength (e.g., tough).

In your pic, you're cutting along the grain. Just turn it 90 degrees, and you'll be golden.

A sirloin tip will have grain that varies throughout. Just try to slice across the grain as it allows. Nature of the cut.

Excellent! I look forward to seeing some more of your creations!!
Thanks for the tips and kind words. My friend made up some roasted garlic and stir fry sweet potatoes with asparagus and onions that was amazing. She's a really good chef and gets paid to cook so I was in very capable hands.

Here's a dumb question, how do you know the direction of the grain in the meat? Looking at the first photo of the uncooked meat in the dish I'd say that the top section runs left to right and the larger bottom section runs diagonally ... correct? So I need to remember the orientation before cooking and slice accordingly.

The Wagyu steak was excellent but I can't say that the extra 10% in overall enjoyment is worth the extra 30% or more in cost.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks for the tips and kind words. My friend made up some roasted garlic and stir fry sweet potatoes with asparagus and onions that was amazing. She's a really good chef and gets paid to cook so I was in very capable hands.

Here's a dumb question, how do you know the direction of the grain in the meat? Looking at the first photo of the uncooked meat in the dish I'd say that the top section runs left to right and the larger bottom section runs diagonally ... correct? So I need to remember the orientation before cooking and slice accordingly.

The Wagyu steak was excellent but I can't say that the extra 10% in overall enjoyment is worth the extra 30% or more in cost.
Trust me, not trying to be a know-it-all. Honestly meant as pointers, and nothing more.

A sirloin tip has stuff going in all directions. Just the nature, but the "main" part is diagonally, as you said. Beef is the same.

You could (a) just slice in the correct direction for most of it, or (b) dismantle it a little, and cut the other parts against the grain.

Honestly, (a) is the simpler route, and direction I think I've taken with tip roasts. You can make smaller cuts in other directions where needed.

Good to know on the Wagyu. Been intrigued. We get beef from a local farmer. Great stuff, so Wagyu would have to be REALLY good to justify the price point...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Trust me, not trying to be a know-it-all. Honestly meant as pointers, and nothing more.
I didn't think you were at all ... I really appreciate your input, and your generosity in sharing your knowledge and experience. I literally have only smoked one piece of meat in my life and we should never be too old to learn. This is going to be fun I'm sure. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I didn't think you were at all ... I really appreciate your input, and your generosity in sharing your knowledge and experience. I literally have only smoked one piece of meat in my life and we should never be too old to learn. This is going to be fun I'm sure. :)
Cool - - - just trying to help. (y)

Looking forward to your productions! I'd like to learn how to use a pellet grill/smoker too!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We are still munching away on the vittles that were prepared for use during a possible Hurricane Ida power outage.
IMG_0752.JPG

Deviled (stuffed) egg, pink eye purple hull peas, beef stew, mater, and biscuits.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sometimes ya gota be good to your self, one dutch baby commin up

DSCN0199.JPG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My saulsbury steaks look a lot like Italian meatballs….
7DB08EA8-8501-4AD9-829C-E7DDA6B55147.jpeg

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Sometimes ya gota be good to your self, one dutch baby commin up
I had to look that up too, looks delicious. Is that mug a Henry made in America or not made at all?