Buying a new tractor - what can I haggle?

FairMeadow

Aug 20, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi all -
Brand new to the forum and honestly brand new to tractoring.
I've been learning as much as I can (thank you Messick's YouTube videos for sure!).

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an MX5400. Still haven't completely decided on that versus a Grand L, but I'll sort that out over the course of the next week or two.

Anyway, I finally went to a dealer since I knew I was getting close to knowing what I wanted. I needed to get some pricing info from the dealer, so we priced out a couple models. He gave me a printout with the cost, and when I asked about an implement, he pulled out the Land Pride catalog and gave me the book price. I also asked him to ballpark additional remotes, third function valve, etc.

All of this to say... I've never bought a tractor before, only cars. Is there room to haggle? Does anybody have recommended strategies or things to ask for? I'd appreciate any advice in this area.

Thanks very much.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Build the tractors you want on the Kubota site. You “might” get 10-12% off at dealer, but right now is not the time to buy. Everywhere is short of stock. If you do decide to pull the trigger, expect a few month wait.

There should be implement deals, if you buy a few, you get like $500 off.

Rear remotes are cheaper to have installed while tractor is assembled rather than later down the road. 3rd function is simple enough to do yourself. Just did mine on the MX.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would say 2 years ago - you had room to haggle - now, I am gonna say it is very small. New machines are hard as hell to get - dealer will be lucky to deliver on time unless they have IN stock.

You might do best by using the discounts on package deals ..... and zero percent, BUY all you can!

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi all -
Brand new to the forum and honestly brand new to tractoring.
I've been learning as much as I can (thank you Messick's YouTube videos for sure!).

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on an MX5400. Still haven't completely decided on that versus a Grand L, but I'll sort that out over the course of the next week or two.

Anyway, I finally went to a dealer since I knew I was getting close to knowing what I wanted. I needed to get some pricing info from the dealer, so we priced out a couple models. He gave me a printout with the cost, and when I asked about an implement, he pulled out the Land Pride catalog and gave me the book price. I also asked him to ballpark additional remotes, third function valve, etc.

All of this to say... I've never bought a tractor before, only cars. Is there room to haggle? Does anybody have recommended strategies or things to ask for? I'd appreciate any advice in this area.

Thanks very much.
Not much these days.

It's a seller's market.

SDT

Reactions: 2 users

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
If you're paying cash you might be able to haggle a little bit. If you're financing, probably not. The old saying is true-----cash talks, BS walks.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If it's like the pickup truck market. You should start thinking about how much over list you are willing to pay, and how long you are willing to wait.

Haggling has two directions.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
To haggle, there has to be a need for the seller to sell. When they have multiple buyers for a lot of their tractors, they won’t be haggling. It’s similar to trying to buy a car … if you try to buy a really popular model. As the joke goes … don’t lowball me … I know what I have. ;)

As far as tractors and implements are concerned, dealers in my area carry particular models. If you buy what they like to stock, they are priced pretty well and are preordered to arrive as part of regular shipments. If they don’t carry those models, you pay shipping and you probably won’t get as good as a price and will have to wait for it to arrive.

It turns out that I bought one implement from a different dealer because I wanted that model, and my dealer didn’t have one. He was projecting at least 6 months until Land Pride made them and then the wait until my order came in. Yes, I did have to drive to another dealer a few hours away, but it was a good price and what I wanted. They were also very nice, fwiw.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Cutting horse association discount? I think I recall that's automatic and doesn't count as haggling, and it's a reasonable chunk. My recollection is that comes out of the Kubota price, not out of the dealer margin, so they may not love it, but it's not hitting their bottom line.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My dealer doesn't offer discounts for cash and doesn't negotiate the price and that's how I like it. They put a fair quote together that has some incentives but more importantly to me they're an outstanding dealer with exceptional attention to detail that tries to help the customer wherever and whenever possible. They've given me some significant discounts on the purchase and installation of rear remotes and third function valves and give me a discount on almost every part I purchase.

There are so many horror stories with dealers around the country doing shoddy work, just like automotive dealers, so I'm happy to have such an outstanding group only three miles from my house. When my cabbed MX shows up I know that I won't find broken clips, greasy hand prints on the headliner, missing bolts, incorrect fluid levels and worse. That's worth more to me.

Reactions: 1 users
D

Deleted member 47704

There were 3 other people interested in my tractor,one got turned down for financing , the other didn't leave a deposit. I did, I got the Kubota rebates, that was about it. The salesman said that was the best he could do.I was ok with it.
You have to look at the financing and see how much you save with the 0 down 0%. I rather have 0% apr than $1000 off the price.
5.35% is $2,952.20 interest on a 60 month loan.

There is no way I would buy a used tractor in the compact class.Many of these tractors are the first tractor the owner ever had. They are likely to get abused and maintenance neglected.And prices are insane, there is a local guy selling a used B2601 TLB for 30k.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
In the current market situation, there is no haggling. You pay the asking price or hit the bricks.

gunnersguru

Equipment
L4701
Aug 12, 2021
SEMO
i bought my L4701 for about 12% under build your tractor price . i tried to get the 50hr service thrown in but got all the fluids and filters , dealer said he could not write off the labor charges .

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Just got my LX2610, they took off just over 10% from the build price. No extra freight charges. They did add 75 for set-up fee.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Not sure if my comment on equine discount got lost - but if you're finding haggling hard, the equine discount I believe is the way to go. It's guaranteed, and it comes from Kubota not the dealer, so they don't really care whether you get it or not - makes no difference to them. And you can join an appropriate equine society for free.