Shortening a chain saw chain?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I bought a chain for my arborist saw a month or two ago. Opened the package and found I got a chain that was 2 links too long.

I don't want to take it back as it was my mistake.

Has anybody shortened a chain themselves? I used to do something similar with bicycle chains when I was riding regularly. Either because I needed a certain length, or needed to put a broken chain back together. Master links were not used on the chains I had, but there was a tool that let you remove and install the pins that held the links together.

Guess the same thing is possible with chainsaw chains. But do not know. Perhaps google will be my friend again here...but hearing from someone with experience would be helpful too.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
This probably isn't the advise you are looking for so you can ignore it if you want. This is just my 2 cents.

Just because you mistakenly grabbed the wrong chain doesn't mean you can't return it. It isn't like you used it and they will just put it back in the box and sell it as new anyway it just costs them like 5 minutes of time. I'd suggest returning it and getting the correct size. If you feel like you shouldn't return it I'd still suggest buying the right size and taking the small hit on your bank account. You don't want a link to let go on a chainsaw that's a good way to lose a limb.

If you're dead set on using the chain a youtube tutorial would probably do better than any instructions that are typed out here.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
There are chains I will repair/modify and chains that I will not.

I make my own endless 520 motorcycle chain but I stop at overhead lifting and chainsaw chains.

Reactions: 1 user

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
You'll need a chain breaker, and a spinner to spin the new rivet down. As well as rivets for your chain size.

Take the chain back and swap for proper one.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you have a local shop that both sells and sharpens chains, stop in there, and tell them that you would like to purchase a new chain for the saw, and ask them if they will also remove the extra links from the one that was given to you by a neighbor. You don't have to go into detail, and most likely since you are buying a new chain, they will fix the old one for you. Stay out of the big box stores and support your local businesses. When you need parts or repairs on the saw, where are you going to take it to get it fixed?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You'll need a chain breaker, and a spinner to spin the new rivet down. As well as rivets for your chain size.

Take the chain back and swap for proper one.
I would do that if there was a restocking fee, which I would have no problem paying, since it was my error and not the vendors…I guess I am old school…

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
I would do that if there was a restocking fee, which I would have no problem paying, since it was my error and not the vendors…I guess I am old school…
I get what you’re saying. But that store will sell that same chain you return in a few days.

Is the store a service center with parts counter? If so, box of donuts/coffee for the guys goes a long way....

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A tree trimmer friend of mine once gave me two new in the package Oregon chains that he insisted would fit my saw. (McCullogh 650)
They didn't, they were 2 or 3 links too long.
Took them to my local chain saw guy to have them shortened, and he said it wasn't worth his time, and just traded me straight across for 2 new Stihl chains that fit my saw.
I'm still using those two chains. (no pun intended)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds like a great excuse to buy a new chainsaw..........
you need three really
1 for logs
1 for limbs
1 for friends and family to borrow....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just man up, and have your wife take it back :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
+1.

You need the proper tools, and the replacement link. You cannot take shortcuts on this!

Try your local rental shop. They probably have the tools and experience to make up chains.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
How much is your time worth? How much time have you spent researching the subject? How much is a new chain? Take it back or trash it and buy a new chain of the proper length.

Chuck Woolery

Equipment
2021 Kubota B2601
Jun 4, 2021
Wisconsin
Step 1: Watch Scarface

Step 2: Take the chain back and exchange for the right size (mistakes happen, businesses realize this).

Step 3: If they won't take it back, buy the right size chain and sell the other one (Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, flea market, etc..)

Step 4: Use a permanent marker to write down the correct size chain on the side of your saw so you don't have to worry about it again.

I'd never modify something that has the propensity to cut my arm or leg off, my appendages are worth more than a new chainsaw chain.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Step 1: Watch Scarface

Step 2: Take the chain back and exchange for the right size (mistakes happen, businesses realize this).

Step 3: If they won't take it back, buy the right size chain and sell the other one (Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, flea market, etc..)

Step 4: Use a permanent marker to write down the correct size chain on the side of your saw so you don't have to worry about it again.

I'd never modify something that has the propensity to cut my arm or leg off, my appendages are worth more than a new chainsaw chain.
I am sorry but i must disagree. Breaking a chainsaw chain and/or spinning a new rivet to shorten it is not dangerous. I sharpen chains and make saw chain loops from bulk chain all the time. I use the same pitch and gauge chain on two different saws and four different bar lengths. Making a chain to a custom length is a simple. safe, and economical process. All you need is a length of chain and rivet spinner.

Dan s-l400.jpg

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
True, but in this instance the wrong length chain was mistakenly bought.

Why then buy a rivet spinner to shorten one chain? 🤔

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
True, but in this instance the wrong length chain was mistakenly bought.

Why then buy a rivet spinner to shorten one chain? 🤔
That would be an economic decision not a safety issue. If you own and use a chainsaw for anything other than occassional use a chain breaker and rivet spinner is nice to have around. As is a good chain sharpener.

Dan

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
In this instance I see nothing wrong with making an economic decision. Heck it would be more economical to just throw the chain away: LINK

IMG_0519.JPG

By the way, I am not a chainsaw expert, but I have the T shirt.