Traded my L2501 HST for a Kioti DK4210SE

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I hope yours runs better than the new one my BIL bought.

Cracked oil filter housing first oil change - 4 weeks without tractor. He is a jobber so it was about 6-8K without revenue on that one.

Second issue, engine oil mixing with hydro oil. It was some internal seal according to them and took 9 weeks to fix. Out about 10-15K in revenue on that one. He has actually had the tractor less at his house than at the dealer at this point.

Not that Kubotas don't break, but parts are available when they do.

He is on a wait list for a new Kubota MX right now.

Reactions: 2 users

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Good points...parts and repair availability are always a major consideration if you depend on the machine for income. You cant go wrong with Kubota.

Reactions: 1 users

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
Agree with parts availability - an important factor. These unique past 12-14 months have really stressed the supply chain/parts availability for all.

I've got the 2501 loaded up and ready to travel tomorrow to do the exchange/upgrade. Well, at least I hope it is an upgrade!

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Congratulations on the new tractor! I'm sure it'll serve you well.

Lots and lots of folks buy too small of a tractor to start (myself included).

Mike

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I've enjoyed reading this post. I too would have considered a Kioti if the only dealer wasn't 60 miles away. I'd still buy one today for the right price.

I am also bothered by the diesel fumes of the L2501 - to the point that I'm considering trading it for a L3301.

You've made a good, well reasoned choice on the new machine and may it serve you well for years.

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I am also bothered by the diesel fumes of the L2501 - to the point that I'm considering trading it for a L3301.
As much as we bitch and moan over emissions regulations (and trust that I have done my fair share of complaining), they really have helped considerably to clean up the environment. I have both a marco and micro example. I began my career in Aerospace some 41 years ago hiring in a Lockheed Martin in Burbank. I lived in Pasadena and would commute each day with one part of the commute having a brief view of downtown LA off in the distance. This view was rare, however, due to the infamous LA "brown haze". Fast-forward 30 years or so and the air is SUBSTANTIALLY clearer. That's a drastic, visible-to everyone, improvement in just 3 decades. This, despite a much larger number of cars on the road.

My micro-example... yes, I admit to having a car where I elected to remove the cat converters in place of headers and a free-flowing exhaust. In these years I had underground parking at work. Although I didn't take this car to work very often, when I did park in my underground spot and got out of the car.... I was instantly reminded of the 70's. That good 'ol raw exhaust smell would linger around the car. Man, how did we do this?

Back to the L2501... yeah, many good things to be said for not having a DPF... but some consequences as well!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Good points...parts and repair availability are always a major consideration if you depend on the machine for income. You cant go wrong with Kubota.
At least in this area, very true for the commercial tractor operators. Used to be a rainbow of colors in the 75hp and under set: blue, red, green, yellow, and orange (but a lot of times that was Allis-Chalmers orange). Now it’s almost exclusively Kubota orange or JD green for the commercial users. Do still see some New Holland mowing the right of ways but most of the blue ones I see on the side of the road are old enough to be placarded Ford-New Holland or just Ford. Some farmers here will run the smaller utility sized Case-IH or New Holland if that’s their big boy brand. Even a lot of them are running Kubota for their small machines if they aren’t JD all the way. Don’t see much of anyone here making a living with Mahindra, Kioti, Branson, etc. A lot of them are sold so I guess someone is buying them. Not saying why they aren’t popular with the commercial set here. May not be that way everywhere. Just how it is here.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Don’t see much of anyone here making a living with Mahindra, Kioti, Branson, etc. A lot of them are sold so I guess someone is buying them. Not saying why they aren’t popular with the commercial set here. May not be that way everywhere. Just how it is here.
Seems to me that if you're making a living with a machine then reliability, parts support, dealer support etc are all very important. Hours offline are hours not billed.

If you're more in the personal market, using a machine on your own property, that's less of an issue. For many people, they're asking the question whether they can afford a tractor at all. A cheaper tractor makes that decision easier. It might not be the best tractor, it might have some usability issues in high volume use, it might not last for 4,000 hours. But if you just need a tractor around your 10 acres, you'll never put 4,000 hours on it, and a cheaper tractor is a cheaper tractor. I don't judge people for that, life is full of choices and if money is tight, those are the decisions you have to make.

Reactions: 1 user

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
I got the new Kioti home late on Friday after a very smooth transaction. Picture below is just after unloading. The thing definitely has some good lighting both forward and backward.

On Saturday, I got the box scraper hooked up and was able to use the tractor for about an hour and a half and form some first opinions.

• It was 104F on Saturday when I used the tractor to clear a small ~1/2 acre field. The cabin seems airtight (doors close with an automotive-like "thump") and the AC works absolutely great.
  • The 2501 would start instantaneously and it seemed it would catch on the first engine revolution. The Kioti isn't quite so fast to start, but obviously still very new.
  • I REALLY like the dedicated forward and backward pedals - much better, IMO, than the rocker style on the 2501. Will take more getting used to. When moving your foot between pedals, the machine will roll if not level so I think a technique with two-footing (with the brake pedal) will be needed in some situations.
  • Visibility out of the cab is great - and the large mirrors are nice!
  • The controls - especially the 3-pt are more sensitive on the Kioti and can be a little jerky. The 2501 was always very smooth.
  • The seat and seat suspension is a step-up on the Kioti.
  • No clutch pedal on the Kioti. Must be in neutral to start. PTO engagement is electric.
  • FEL lever handle is a very nice contoured piece on the Kioti and very inviting to use.
File_000 (3).jpeg

Overall, I am very happy with the upgrade. I will make further updates in an appropriate thread. I am looking forward to getting used to the new tractor!

Reactions: 6 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The reason I didnt go Kioti...the dealer also sells used cars, TYM, and LS brand tractors.....no thanks.
My wife and I moved to the country two years ago and needed a tractor immediately.

I really liked the Kioti but in hind sight made the better choice as the Kioti dealer is no longer in business. Kubota and Deere dealers are still one mile from where they sat.

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
That's a nice upgrade from an L2501. Where I live I have no need for a cab but if I had to work in 104 degrees I think I would!

You mentioned having $20K in the L, did you sell it? If so just curious how much it brought?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Doesn't Kioti have a forum for their users?

The one thing I loved going from the NH to the Kubota was getting rid of the two HST pedals and going to a single pedal. Much faster and impossible to hit the wrong one. Go figure.

Reactions: 2 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Doesn't Kioti have a forum for their users?

The one thing I loved going from the NH to the Kubota was getting rid of the two HST pedals and going to a single pedal. Much faster and impossible to hit the wrong one. Go figure.
Agree on the single treadle pedal. Looked kind of difficult compared to two pedals when I first looked at it but kind of trusted Kubota would have abandoned it if users didn’t like it. Couldn’t tell you how exactly I use it, but I do know after a couple of hours actual use whichever way I want the tractor to go, that’s the direction it’s going.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Yep....times 3 here. We have a Deere at our church camp.....the peddles are double trouble....I always have to look to see what's what.....after using the 1025r.....I was easily sold on a Kubota.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I find it interesting the differences that @nota4re is pointing out. I'd just observe that some of those differences are from changing brand, and some of them are from going up a few sizes. Everyone makes difference choices - my father has a large Kioti and loves it, but I liked the older Kubota that he replaced a bit more.

He sometimes teases me about my B2601 and points out I could have got a Kioti for less money, and arguably with more capability (at least on paper). But I always remember the service guy on Dad's old Kubota saying "don't do much work on these, they're just put together well", and him pointing out things like the magnetic oil sump plug and other features that come from making a high class tractor for a number of decades - they do get refined. Kioti haven't been in the bit of the market they're in for all that long, his tractor is nice but I think in some ways not as nice.

But ultimately it comes down to features. @nota4re needed lift capacity in particular, and he's pointed out that the L class machines are a bit down on loader capacity compared to the Kioti. I'm not sure how much of that is measurement differences v's real life differences, but it was meaningful for him. Someone else might have wanted a feature that Kubota has, maybe the HST+ transmission, or something else.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I just started a thread asking why Kioti tractors are considerably cheaper and more readily available. If you compare apples to apples such as the RX7320PCC and M7060 the latter is about $15k more expensive. They are essentially the same tractor in terms of features with the Kioti having a nicer cab in addition to some features not available on the M.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I responded on that thread, but I think the truth is a Kioti is not apples to apples because the Kubota has a much better reputation. Does it matter for you … that’s up to you until you want to resell/trade.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
as a guy on this site who has/had Kubo's & also went to a Kioti.........

the Kubo i did get rid of was fine small tractor. like the OP of this thread i just needed a bigger stronger tractor & Kioti would/did deal where the Kubo dealers would not.

for people who "have" to have that brand name of Kubota & have the $$? they dont ever change.

for people who like Kubota's (me) but didnt have the extra $8,000 to get the same/equal tractor? Kioti is perfect.

ive bought several more small Kubo's since then & still love them & pick them up to redo/rehome....

still cant afford a Kubota that can do what my Kioti can do. simple economics for a poor boy.

maybe as a retirement reward i'll get a Grand L ... :)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I responded on that thread, but I think the truth is a Kioti is not apples to apples because the Kubota has a much better reputation. Does it matter for you … that’s up to you until you want to resell/trade.

Jim, I agree. The Kioti dealer near me was located 10 miles from a Kansas City suburb, had good road exposure, been there for several years, and closed up last year. No parts or service as near as you anticipated when purchasing can put a different thought in your mind when you can't get a job done.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't think that reputation is in an "apples to apples" comparison since it's not measurable. I understand your point though, and my question is aimed more at the quality of the components, the durability, and specifications. If it's only resale value and reputation that drive the cost difference then the Kioti is the better value to me.