RCK60B-22BX

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Do I dare ask something else? Well, why not. Here's the deal.

I made a BIG mistake. I built a "holder" for this 60" deck because it is just far too heavy to manage. I used the furniture dollies from HF as one of the other forum members did a couple of years ago. Worked great...got the
mower onto the dollies, wheeled it around, etc. It sat solidly and was easy to maneuver.

I wanted to sharpen the blades but after I got the mower vertical, it seemed to me that a better choice would be to buy new blades...but that takes time to get them. I sharpened the existing ones a bit and figured I could use it
until new ones arrived. All good so far.

Now, I had to use the loader to lower the mower back to horizontal. Chain was in place, all going as planned, when I noticed that I had the chain hooks heading the wrong direction. If I lowered the loader to release the tension on the chain, the mower would certainly fall. So, I lowered the mower just enough to rest it back on the dollies. As I got off the tractor, I put it in neutral which is what I always do. However, in neutral, the tractor began drifting backward and I didn't have time to react. The loader was low enough to push the mower at the top and down if went with a bang, upside down onto the concrete floor!

At that point, nothing seemed harmed other than my nerves...and confidence. I got the mower back righted again and back, ready to mount on the tractor. Again, no problem. I pushed it under the tractor and left it.

By the next morning, I could see that oil had collected below the gear box onto the top of the mower...maybe 1/4 cup of oil or so. I had my dreads but hooked the mower back up (after I had solved the fuel leak problem) and went out to mow a bit. Prior to running it, I wiped any oil off the deck so I could see if there was more oil to come. ...and there was.

I mowed one round and came back into the garage. Now there is more oil but it is darker. I have not removed the deck yet to inspect more closely but with a flashlight on the gear box all the way around, I do not see any cracks, damage, or oil. The oil seems to be coming from under the gear box.

The diagram on Messick's for this mower shows an oil seal. Is it possible that only this seal has been damaged? Or, would that kind of a clunk cause other problems when it fell? I noticed that the blade speed was not enough to fully cut the grass in the way it had done before. Doesn't seem like an oil seal problem would cause that.

So, if anyone is willing to offer an opinion, I would be most grateful. I'm not sure how hard it would be to remove that gearbox and/or pulley to get to that seal, especially with the weight of this mower. I don't have a lot of work area but I suppose I could lift the mower with the loader and get it up on something.

Thanks again for any help/advise. My biggest concern is that I have really damaged something more than the seal. So, I could take this to the dealer or maybe find someone to repair any damage or change the seal since I could lift it with the loader into a pick up bed.

Tractor Gal

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Your gearbox likely has a vent on the top. If it was upside down, it’s possible it leaked.

Since everything was secured (bolted in place) I’m doubting a coincidental seal failure but it’s a guess. A cracked gearbox would be more likely to be the problem to me.

Like your fuel leak, I would clean everything up real well, then make sure the gearbox is full of oil. Then check for more leaks to determine origin.

Those gearboxes don’t take much oil. If it leaked, there’s not much room before it’s too low to run.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have the same mower deck and believe the only place there is oil, is in the gearbox, so obviously it must be leaking from the gearbox somewhere. After a shock event, I would expect a crack rather than a seal problem, but also would put no faith in what I would expect.

There was a recent thread here where someone was describing working on a similar mower deck gearbox. I think it was a different model, but not by much. If you can find that thread it might be helpful.

Wish I could help, but I can't really. Hopefully someone with specific knowledge and experience will chime in soon.

Edit: RCW's advice is right on. Do check the oil level in the gear box.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
As an aside....don’t put your tractor in neutral unless you set the parking brake.

....Just some friendly advice....:cool:

Reactions: 1 users

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
No worries yet. If it is a crack, then it may be possible to fix with JB Weld. Also gearboxes can be replaced. Will be interesting when you find the damage.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
As an aside....don’t put your tractor in neutral unless you set the parking brake.

....Just some friendly advice....:cool:
Exactly. Was my first thought too. Forgot to mention it...

Actually, set the parking brake whether the tractor is in neutral or not!

Reactions: 1 users

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
OK, gentlemen. Your thinking makes sense. I'll remove it from
the tractor, clean it up good and give it a good inspection. I know
that it holds very little oil because I had to fill it when I got it!

You're going to jump off your tractor seats when I mention this:
the parking brake does not work. In fact, the brakes hardly work. There have been quite a few issues with this machine and I'm slowly working through them. That's why my method has been to put the front loader on the ground, put the tractor in neutral, then de-tractor...that is similar to de-plane. While working with the vertical mower, I could not put the loader on the ground, therefore, it rolled a little backward. And, you know the rest of the story.

I'll give a good look tomorrow. Thank you, all. I knew I could count on you. :)

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
If you had to add oil to it when you got it that should be a sign that the oil seal has been leaking before .
Under ordinary circumstances, this logic would be correct. However, the radiator fluid was nearly empty, the hydraulic fluid was down, fuel and hydraulic filters needed to be changed, steering cylinder needed to be replaced, front axle oil was down...I could go on. This is a 2004 BX23. My thoughts are that the prior owner did not understand how to take care of equipment. The engine oil and filter had just been changed so I considered that a bonus! :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Under ordinary circumstances, this logic would be correct. However, the radiator fluid was nearly empty, the hydraulic fluid was down, fuel and hydraulic filters needed to be changed, steering cylinder needed to be replaced, front axle oil was down...I could go on. This is a 2004 BX23. My thoughts are that the prior owner did not understand how to take care of equipment. The engine oil and filter had just been changed so I considered that a bonus! :)
Tractorgal - - had you changed the gearbox oil before? Might explain the darker oil coming out...those boxes are a challenge to drain completely without making a mess.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Tractorgal - - had you changed the gearbox oil before? Might explain the darker oil coming out...those boxes are a challenge to drain completely without making a mess.
No, I didn't change the oil when I got it. I checked the oil level and when it was low, I just added to make sure there was enough oil in there. As you say, I didn't see, at that point, how the oil was drained! The mower stayed on the tractor until now...again, it stayed because it is so heavy, had no wheels, and I just couldn't do it. I've since gotten some wheels (which can't fit correctly because the links are not quite right but that's another project) and I've made the dollies to hold the mower vertically. I guess that's a way to drain the oil!

I believe you're right, RCW...the oil was probably very, very old. Interesting though, now that I think of it, the first oil was more golden in color at first; this morning, the leaked oil was much, much darker. I'm not sure how that happened. There does not seem to be any oil on the outside of the gearbox but, when I get it out from under the tractor, I can get a better look. I just hope I haven't ruined it to cause a lot more expense. It had worked nicely in October when I got it.

TG

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Making a bit of progress on the mower deck today. It is out from the tractor, cleaned up a bit, new oil added and watched for leaking location.

The leak appears to be under the gear box and above the center double pulley. Of course the underside of the gear box is not visible at this point.

So, it would not appear too difficult to remove that gear box...or am I dreaming? Here's what seems to be the process...remove belt from pulleys. Remove center blade from underneath...probably has a split ring in there somewhere then after gearbox bolts are removed, the gearbox should lift up for inspection?

I have the manual for the mower deck but it does not give much info. If there's a link for a "how to remove the gear box," I'd love to have it. At this point, the leak may be around that seal or maybe the gear box is damaged on the underside. Hope to find out before long...grass is getting out of control. :)

TG

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Go to the illustrated parts diagrams - - put in your RCK60B-22BX model number.

Will not give you a how-to, but will show how they fit together with current parts numbers if needed.

I checked here http://kubotabooks.com/ and here https://www.manualslib.com/brand/kubota/ for Workshop manuals, but the closest I saw was for a -23BX mower, and don't know if that will work.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Baby powder works well to find/track down tiny leaks from cracks or imperfections that can't be seen by eye. First clean the part well with some solvent, dry it off, and then sprinkle the suspected leak area with the powder. You'll soon see where the powder is getting dampened from the leaking fluid. If it isn't obvious when you remove the gearbox, this might be a way to find your trouble spot. Good luck!!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Go to the illustrated parts diagrams - - put in your RCK60B-22BX model number.

Will not give you a how-to, but will show how they fit together with current parts numbers if needed.

I checked here http://kubotabooks.com/ and here https://www.manualslib.com/brand/kubota/ for Workshop manuals, but the closest I saw was for a -23BX mower, and don't know if that will work.
RCW, this info helps a lot. You have gone "beyond the call" and I send my thanks.

TG

Reactions: 1 user

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Baby powder works well to find/track down tiny leaks from cracks or imperfections that can't be seen by eye. First clean the part well with some solvent, dry it off, and then sprinkle the suspected leak area with the powder. You'll soon see where the powder is getting dampened from the leaking fluid. If it isn't obvious when you remove the gearbox, this might be a way to find your trouble spot. Good luck!!
Thanks for this tip, bird dogger. It'll come in handy, I'm sure. First, to the gear box! :)

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is the thread I mentioned in a post above. Turns out I put it on my watch list.

You might get some pointers from it. It concerns the 54” model of the same (I think) deck. My guess is the gearbox is identical.

Hope the link works!

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
K
This is the thread I mentioned in a post above. Turns out I put it on my watch list.

You might get some pointers from it. It concerns the 54” model of the same (I think) deck. My guess is the gearbox is identical.

Hope the link works!

Link worked and is a help! Thank you. In looking at the exploded parts diagram, I do not see a split ring with the shaft. I think the post said the split ring was visible when the top of the gear box is removed. I hope to work on this tomorrow and then, we'll see.

Henro, I appreciate your willingness to help.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Updating on mower gear box leak: this issue is on hold for the moment. As the saying goes, "There are other fish to fry." All the help that has been offered is appreciated and will be put to use as soon as I can. Right now, I'm addressing hydraulic leak. :-(

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Update on RCK60B-22BX. Situation: Had the calamity described in the thread, oil was leaking out so I needed to take the gearbox off to see if it was damaged or see if the seal above the pulley needed replacing.

Thankfully, the gearbox was not damaged. Whitetiger gave excellent instructions about removing the internal spring clip holding the shaft for the pulley. When I removed the clip, the shaft and pulley came right out so I didn't have to wrestle with the pulley. It was quite snug on that shaft.

I've put in a new oil seal and have re-assembled everything. So far, nothing leaking out even though I haven't used the mower yet. It had leaked earlier without use so no leaking seems like a good sign. There were some small parts needed so I'm going to the Kubota dealer tomorrow to get them. This thing is too heavy and cumbersome to not get it right the first time. Hopefully, I'll be mowing Friday.

Thanks to everyone who has helped and encouraged. One of these days, this little tractor is going to be ship shape! :) Hope I live to see it. :) :)

Tractor Gal